John Ryder

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Not sure what other people think of Ryder but I really enjoy watching him, especially his inside work. He was superb tonight, worked the jab so well against the bigger man and landed some superb uppercuts and hooks. He wasn’t wild with his shots and really picked them well. The knockdowns were brutal. I felt he edged it over Fielding, Arnfield (robbed) and was very close against BJS. Them defeats could have quite easily been wins.

Russell, SnatchBox, moog and 3 others like this.
  2. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I think Hearn has kind of chucked him into tough fights after he lost to BUS but then Blackwell.

Arnfield he was robbed against, most had him beating fielding and I thought he beat BJS by a point.

I don't know if the move up to super middle has helped, but he actually seems to be able to go through the gears a bit now.

I think he's been incredibly unlucky, hopefully he gets some good rankings from that fight, because he deserves it tbh, his KO tonight was awesome but he impressed with his shot selection and accuracy tonight.

Russell, SnatchBox and Twentyman like this.
  3. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    i enjoy watching him too. Weird thing i always find is that he seems to fight the wrong sort of fight on a regular basis.I think a change of coach (Adam Booth) could turn him into a quality fighter

4. charliem333

charliem333 Member Full Member

Sep 8, 2017
    i used to really like him seen him live a few times but theres levels in boxing and unfortunately he ain't above British level in my opinion but yeah he is entertaining to watch

5. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    It was a good win for Ryder but I think more than anything it shows how poor Nielsen is.

I reckon Jamie Cox is by far the best SMW in Britain when you disregard the world level guys in Smith, Eubank, Groves and Degale.

I'd like to see Jamie take on either Murray, Fielding or Ryder next.

S.K likes this.
  6. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Nielsen fought a very bad tactical fight.

Being the man with the longer reach, and better long range game, he should have just tied up Ryder on the inside. Round 4 was an example of how Nielson could have won the fight, as he dominated from start to finish with work from long range.

The inside work in the 2nd and 3rd rounds won Ryder the fight. He did nothing in the 4th and for most of the 5th until he landed that counter on the inside, and the two follow ups whilst Nielsen was out on his feet.

There have been improvements here from Ryder, but I think he had a great night and Nielsen had a very bad night.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    SnatchBox likes this.
  7. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Hearn should go in and get Tyron Zegue for either Cox or Ryder for the WBA reg, a winnable fight for either of them.

Twentyman and S.K like this.
  8. matt007

matt007 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Since the BJS fight Ryder has gone downhill. Havent seen last nights fight, but good to hear he was good and got a ko. Hope he can build from here on.

9. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Last night was his best performance in a long time. And as said he can call himself hard done by with some of the decisions against him.

He’s just beat WBA #1 so be interesting to see where he goes from here.

10. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Winnable outside of Germany you mean.

yesihavearm2 likes this.
  11. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Don't think he sees the bell vs either of those fighters.

12. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Idk about that. He strikes me as a Neo-Ottke... Good enough fundamentals and some toughness/durability to win just enough rounds and see the cards to get those famous hometown gifts.

13. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    The Saunders fight could have gone either way the Blackwell fight he was winning till he got caught by a good punch and hurt it happens got robbed against arnfield and he should've got the win against fielding But I think he was Lacking confidence after been robbed against arnfield if they fight again I think Ryder will beat him clear I think his better then British level and he needs a new trainer I think since the Blackwell fight hearn has give up on him which is a shame his got a hell of alot more then the likes cardle who are terrible but hearn keeps getting him fights

14. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Ryder vs Jamie Cox would be a fun fight

moog and SnatchBox like this.
  15. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Yep, sign me up for that

moog and SnatchBox like this.