Jon Jones is still the GOAT

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by StussyBrownnn, Aug 20, 2021.

1. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Steroid Junkie Full Member

May 8, 2014
    In terms of raw natty talent I agree. The only time Penn took his career seriously at all was when he briefly hooked up with that football S&C trainer Marinovich or whatever his name was. He looked unbeatable then.

2. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Must be nice to keep amassing losses and live off of a nice little run. Penn is insanely overrated. No chance he's better than Jones.

3. Babality

Dec 6, 2008
    "The brief moment he was really good was when he took it seriously". Excuses. You gotta have some longevity. I understand Jones is PED cheat but it's hard to even know who's cheating and who isn't for sure. Penn lost too much.

4. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    It was more than a nice little run, it was a great run, and done without constantly failing drug tests for performance enhancing drugs.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  5. Babality

Dec 6, 2008
    No doubt. He looked very good. But he lost too many times. You can't just sweep that aside. It should affect his overall ranking. Frankly, Jones looked just as good if not better in many of his performances. As far as steroids. It's mostly who got caught and who didn't. Unfortunately, it's so rampant that it's hard to believe any of these top athletes aren't using. Too much on the line.

cross_trainer likes this.
  6. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Prime Penn was the best LW in the world for almost a decade. He also went up in weight to beat great fighter in Hughes to win another title, not mention giving GSP a hell of a fight the first time around.

7. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Nah. That's not how fighters are ranked, they're ranked for how good they were in their primes, not for the skids they may have had afterwards.

GasTank and cross_trainer like this.
  8. Babality

Dec 6, 2008
    Prime for prime Jones was still better.

9. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Yeah, if we're ignoring the huge PED asterisk that's next to his name, he's the better fighter.

BCS8, ForemanJab and Francis75 like this.
  10. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Steroid Junkie Full Member

May 8, 2014
    This is the problem with newer fans who never saw Penn in prime and just see lowlights of an old washed up fighter with a career .500 record. Nobody is going to argue that Penn amassed a greater career record or was the more consistent operator when compared to Jones. However, when it comes to natural raw talent Penn didn’t have an equal. They called him The Prodigy for a reason. He earned a black belt in BJJ in less than 3 years of training and then as an American went to Brazil and won gold at the Mundials which is unheard of. Picked up boxing causally and in short order became the best boxer in mma. Jones is talented but his skill set hasn’t really ever improved that much nor has he displayed a large diversity of skills that Penn had. Let’s face it much of that talent came out of a bottle. Whenever he was under the microscope after a positive test he’d look like complete **** in his next fight.

I also would disagree that Jones’ drug use can be simply written off as being a product of his era. As the face of the UFC brand he had the financial access and protection to use peds with far more impunity than any of his competitors. He has the worst record of ped violations of ANY champion in UFC history BY FAR. The guy is a sociopath who is perfectly fine with throwing side oblique kicks to opponents knees and eye pokes which could easily end a career. An individual with zero moral/ethical compunction and unbridled access is going to be the worst cheater in history. I’m not even going to get into the lengths he would go to to avoid mandatory testing. It got so bad that USADA had to invent a lie about “pulsing” when Jones kept on popping positive after his 2nd suspension. A lifetime ban for Jones would’ve been too much of a black eye for the sport.

11. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Worst Poster of 2015 Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    There's been too many failed drug tests in the UFC so I don't hold Jones cheating against him, like Nate Diaz said, everyone is on steroids. You're telling me Amanda Nunes isn't the Women's GOAT despite her HGH jaw because she hasn't been caught yet? :lol: You can make a case for him being the GOAT, he's definitely top 3 along with GSP and Silva. I personally think GSP solidified his GOAT status when he came back after all those years and beat Bisping for the MW title, although he definitely lost to Hendricks which was probably the biggest robbery in UFC history. Jones lost to Reyes as well, but he has a chance to topple GSP if he can win a belt at HW without getting popped.

12. TMLT87

TMLT87 Active Member Full Member

Feb 21, 2021
    In terms of the sheer time period he dominated for combined with the quality of opposition, he may well be. Its just that hes an unlikeable ***** marred by controversy compared to the other 3 Mt Rushmore guys.

13. KelandBeave

KelandBeave Fab 4 Full Member

Jun 27, 2013
    most have cheated at some stage especially in the early years, Fedor would've been jacked in Pride along with most his opponents.......

14. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
  15. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Just once, I want to see a thread announcing that a fighter is the GOAT, and I open it to find the thread-starter arguing that the fighter is literally a goat.

George forearm and BCS8 like this.