Jones Asked for HW Fight in Late 2012; UFC Brass Said "No"

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Thom, Jan 31, 2012.

1. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Bob, it isn't easy to add 20 pounds of pure muscle in a year. Bodybuilders will work all year round, often on steroids to add 10 good pounds of muscle.

2. Will Cooling

Will Cooling Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Also Overeem didn't add 20Ibs he added close to double that. He barely weighed 225Ibs when he fought for the Strikeforce heavyweight title.

3. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lesnar was a BEAST in the WWE. And i don't use that word lightly. He was known throughout the WWE for his insane feats of strength. The guy was truly a monster with freaky athleticism that had never been seen before on a man so big. He was also over 300lbs. Plus he's a naturally big guy with a thick and heavy bone structure.
    And you can't tell if a guys on gear just by looking at their wrists. :lol:
    But a persons wrist will give you a good indication of their bone structure as your wrists don't change much no matter how much muscle you pack on. Thus if you see a guy with tiny wrists who's insanely muscled bet your life he's on gear.

4. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004

Complete nonsense. Name me ONE athlete who has put on 20lbs of lean muscle mass in one year.

You're not saying anything. I don't need to have a clue what Overeems trainmen regime consists of. As i know it's not possible to make those kind of muscular gains when doing both aerobic and anaerobic activity.
    And no his physique wasn't years in making. Overeems been a bonafide heavy for the last 5 years or so. You don't put on that kind of muscle in that short a space of time unless you're on gear.

5. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    :thumbsup Exactly. Guys are just pulling **** out of their ass and running with it. Not even the GREAT Ronnie Coleman was capable of 20lbs of pure lean muscle in one year and he ate gear like skittles.
    6 years ago Phil Heath at the Colorado Pro was 235lbs striated. At last years O he weighed 290+lbs with muscles just hanging off his frame. His been training just under a decade and hasn't even reached his physical peak.
    Likewise Kai Greene who was also at the Colorado Pro did the same.

6. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Remember Chris Masters? Remember what he looked like when he was one of the WWE's rising stars? Have you seen him since he came off gear? Seriously some fans really need a hard dose of reality.

7. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    This content is protected

Admittedly he's flexing there but Brock in that pic was 300lbs give or take a few lbs and was in his mid 20's.

8. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004

Here's a picture of Overeem at 205. Notice he has no real visible abs but plenty of stretch marks on his shoulders which are more than likely an indication of rapid growth/weight loss

9. Haggis McJackass

Haggis McJackass Semi-neutralist Overseer Full Member

Jul 20, 2004

This man is currently 26 years old. He weighs in at 240 pounds. He is a professional rugby player who trains with a view to running around for 80 minutes. Speed and agility is more valuable to him than pure strength.

I don't see why he couldn't have an Overeem physique in his early 30s if he wanted it and trained for it.

:hat

10. Primate

Primate Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Nailed it.

I know maybe half a dozen guys with physics even vaguely comparable to Overeem. All between 6'1" and 6'5", all between 110 and 140kg. Most are or have been competitive bodybuilders. All but one are openly on gear.

11. BobDigi5060

BobDigi5060 East Side MMA Full Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Are you serious?? You and the rest have produced over 5 pages of off topic speculation of steroid abuse on the basis of pictures and video :lol:

I never said 20lbs of lean muscle because that is ridiculous.. It wasn't 20 pounds of muscle in the first place. Nonetheless, the average joe can make significant gains in those first few years of weight training.. Ronnie Coleman and Rugby just don't apply to this situation.. Those comparisons are fail from the get-go.

I said my piece, and I'll say it again.. You know dick about the man's diet, walk around weight, weight training and coaching over the past 10 years.. His training and adjustments during his career at 205, it's all part of the big picture. You don't know a damn thing other than what you see in pics and vid, and you have nothing to back up the speculation other than your personal experience, which means nothing when it comes to Alistair Overeem.

More than likely.. More than likely is just another way of saying "I don't have a clue, but let me take a guess".. Once again, you know nothing about Overeem other than the thoughts that arise when you look at pictures.

You got nothing other than a "more than likely", pictures and video when it comes to his career at 205.. Not his walk around weight, diet back in the day, training and coaching.. Nothing of substance.

12. BobDigi5060

Feb 7, 2006
    Anyone notice how the posters making these claims don't know a damn thing about Overeem? They don't know anything about his preperation, all they know is what they see, and what they know.. Rugby, personal experience.. They know dick about the subject at hand, and only a fool would try to justify such claims based on personal experience, pictures and video.

13. BobDigi5060

Feb 7, 2006
    Yet you know nothing on Overeem's preperation.. Not his diet, training, and coaching.

Just people you know. It doesn't apply.. It doesn't correlate :deal

14. Primate

Primate Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    So with the combined experience and knowledge of the people posting in this thread (including at least one former professional athlete, one journalist who is closer to the sport than any of us, people who have been training in various athletic endeavours for most of their lives and their experiences with others who have competed at various levels of a range of different sports, and people making statements which are common knowledge in bodybuilding and strength training circles) we have established that it is impossible to gain as much weight as Overeem has in the time frame it was achieved without some sort of unnatural assistance, but because none of us personally know Overeem or his training methods the only conclusion that we can draw that he is the one exception to this rule that we've seen time and again, hundreds if not thousands of times throughout our varied experiences.

Damn, I'm glad you were here to point that out for us, otherwise we'd all think Overeem had used steroids.

15. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    :lol::thumbsup