Jong Seon Kang vs. Nam Jun Lee RBR (...has par for 2021 FOTY already been set?)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jan 9, 2021.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Large swath of boxing Twitter absolutely raving about this bout from this morning, which isn't even up on BoxRec and slipped under a lot of non-diehards' radar (not to mention that little attention is paid the Korean scene in general).

Main event starts two hours and 21 minutes in:
    This content is protected

sasto, aaalbert and eltirado like this.
  2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Jong Seon Kang vs. Nam Jun Lee, 12 rounds @ featherweight

eltirado likes this.
  3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    This is for the vacant WBO Oriental featherweight title, which last was contested nearly two years ago (February of 2019).

19 year old undefeated action hero Kang in the black satin trunks with the gold waistband, and red gloves. Lee - whose build, complexion, haircut, and overall ring attire color scheme are near-identical to Kang's, has matte black trunks (and waistband) with glittery gold running down his outer thighs, and blue gloves. You're welcome. :sisi1

George Crowcroft and eltirado like this.
  4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 1

Kang gallops out and initiates a sportsmanlike knuckle-tap ...from a safe distance, with a fully extended slow-mo jab shot at intentionally non-threatening height several inches over Lee's head, obliging the more veteran fighter to shoot his own arm straight up to return the gesture. They settle into a rhythm circling at ring center immediately, with Lee scoring a few sharp left jabs on the face while Kang doubles up on his, prodding Lee's chest and ribs. Kang starts opening up with swift power shot combos, thrown on his toes and thus without full torque, but accurately landing hooks and rights in concatenation. Lee keeps up a high guard and fires in a bit more predictable a pattern, jabbing at the head in multiples, taking a few lateral steps, and then lancing with a sinlge right hand down the pipe.

10-9 Kang

eltirado likes this.
  5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 2

Kang is trading jabs with Lee as they both get each other's measure, pace considerably slowed from how the first ended. Kang a bit sharper, and busier. Lee more selective, and not throwing nearly the variety as Kang now starts to dip and hook the starboard waistline of Lee. Kang then gets perhaps overconfident, stung by a 1-2 from the patient Lee. HUGE left hook by Lee, his first meaningful non-straight punch, whirling himself nearly 180 degrees and missing by a mile as Kang leaps staight backward to dodge. They come together both firing and Kang lands a hook and overhand right combo that appears to hurt Lee. Kang pushes him against the ropes and whacks the body. Lee fights his way free and drills Kang with some right crosses behind a chaff screen of desperately pumped jabs.

10-9 Kang

20-18 Kang

eltirado likes this.
  6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 3

Kang is doubling up on vicious hooks upstairs but Lee has the back of his right fist ensconced and catches everything by angling his shoulders in toward Kang alternately depending on which hand is being thrown so as to ride in under his punches. Kang really digging hard on the body now, with the commentators repeating the word (in English, solitarily with everything otherwise being in Korean) in urgent, lilting tones. Kang very obviously trying for a body shot KO but Lee, despite offering a long and inviting target, also seems to have an iron torso, with his sculpted and sinewy V-line standing up to furious assault. Little return fire by Lee this round, although he pops in jabs where he can.

10-9 Kang

30-27 Kang

7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 4

Kang is picking up where he left off, soaring into Lee with both feet coming off the canvas as he unloads huge looping punches into his flanks and then slams home with line drive rights on the head after planting himself. Lee has bidden his time, and starts unleashing his counters around 90 seconds in, catching the youngster in his defensively compromised state mid-salvo and then not letting up, calmly stepping around threading 1-2s down the middle and starting to shred from Kang's right hip to ribcage with his own low hooks.

10-9 Lee, stole it with that second half (and with Kang's fury mostly being ineffective before that, compared with the previous three rounds).

39-37 Kang

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 5

Kang is still a bit disheveled in his work, maybe punched out from his early work, and is eating Lee jabs on every revolution as they circle at ring center. Heavy body slapping combos by Kang, before retreating out to mid-range and putting on earmuffs. Lee is stepping in confidently and firing lead rights, with Kang just barely ducking them in time. Kang bullies Lee into the ropes, drilling his crown into his sternum, and Lee bangs his way loose with jabs on the mush and hooks to Kang's liver. Short overhand right by Kang scores as he falls in, but with his legs moving, a blunted arm punch. Kang has a sequence of stiff jabs score as he settles down, but then Lee finishes up before the bell taking over and landing a few of his own as Kang flags.

10-9 Lee, close

48-47 Kang

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 6

Kang is shuffling to his left and cricking his neck to bow under Lee's jabs, and then rattling off couplets of body hooks. Kang then switches tacks and begins shooting longbow 1-2s, scoring and stunning Lee. Kang plays a little possum as things simmer down, letting the Lee jab graze his forehead a few times, and then explodes with some rolling thunder overhand combos up top. Lee responds with a huge left hook downstairs, best shot of the round, but Kang is pecking all over him at every altitude with both hands.

10-9 Kang, very close

58-56 Kang

10. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 7

Kang is hurtling in towards Lee, throwing three at a time. Jab-cross-jab, then its inversion, stepping out after each sortie. Lee is absorbing everything and then slinging out fat left hooks low, often skimming off Kang's thigh just above his knee but sometimes legally scoring above his waistband. Kang is getting the better of things scooting around Lee and pumping out jabs and rights in multiples, while his elder can only muster one 'n' done, taking aim with his shots but only grazing the scalp of Kan and setting his mop of hair aflutter.

10-9 Kang

68-65 Kang

11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 8

Kang is stepping in the pocket and imposing firefights on Lee, both throwing upper-hooks at point blank. Kang's by far the superior volume, and when he lands enough in succession Lee is the one to break away in retreat, even if Kang doesn't appear to have much edge in damage per single blow. Lee is gamely battling for as long as he can at once now, but increasingly finds himself peppered into the ropes and forced to flop into Kang and tie up. Lee visibly tiring as the round progresses, and morphing into Seran Wrap on legs by the final ten seconds.

10-9 Kang

78-74 Kang

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    You know what I am pretty impressed (and inspired) by? The fact that Nam Jun Lee has fought at this pace with a sparkplug young enough to be his son (Lee was old enough to purchase tobacco products in the USA when Kang was born) and kept things on relatively even terms with the moderately skilled (at least offensively) prospect throughout...at the age of 37! He's only a year my junior! With age differences like this, in this sport, you generally see violent blowouts, rather than FOTY contenders.

Respect. :ARMS1:

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 9

Kang is hammering down with gavel rights falling in, but Lee is lying in wait to zap him with jabs and short quick straight rights on the nose. Both men slap at the body on the inside, both clearly arm-weary at this point in the contest but neither willing to cede ground. Kang is throwing lead rights up from a crouch and then stepping in with jabs. Lee very economical, picking his spots and rocking Kang occasionally with a well-placed uppercut or step-back cannonball right.

10-9 Lee

87-84 Kang

14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 10

Kang is furiously attacking Lee's body now, causing the commentators to exclaim what sounds like "OH BUDDY, OH BUDDY, OH!" :lol:. Lee is a man besieged. Kang is battering him with several unanswered jabs on the face and then swarming in with downward clobbering flurries while leaning into him. Lee is able to pry him off with a few crowbar jabs but the reprieves are only momentary, as Kang bears down on him with endless (if now largely toothless) barrages of punching. Lee whips a big right hand up and then in & down in a wide sweeping arc, but misses as Kang chips away downstairs.

10-9 Kang

97-93 Kang