Jong Seon Kang vs. Nam Jun Lee RBR (...has par for 2021 FOTY already been set?)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jan 9, 2021.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 11

Kang is landing with both hands, reaching up and out and strapping Lee on either side of the head. Lee is pressing into Kang, taking some huge body shots in the process, and then spanks Kang with a few enormous body shots of his own as he finally has Kang trapped on the ropes. The crowd and commentators are losing their minds. Both men just full-on slugging it out now, landing head-snapping jabs at mid-range and then colliding when either of them whips up a right hand, and then both banging the body inside. Lee throwing big anti-aircraft rights but missing as Kang hooks lefts and rights into his face and body.

10-9 Kang

107-102 Kang

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Round 12

Kang is landing two-pieces on the face and then suffocating Lee on the ropes as both men struggle to disentangle themselves, even with the ref's assistance. Both of them are noodle-limbed at this point but continue to fight hard, with Kang landing a butterfly net right atop the dome and then a left hook on the jaw leaping in, then working the body. Lee is pawing with jabs into Kang's line of vision and then pushing through big right hands as Kang dances around him landing combos. Huge right hand by Lee flush on Kang's eye socket, even as Kang pounds him on the breadbasket ducking in. They both land some final bombs as the clock winds down.

10-9 Kang

117-111 Kang

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    UD for Kang.

I am zero percent fluent in Chosŏnmal, does anybody know what the scores were?

4. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    How good was the fight?

IntentionalButt likes this.
  5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Honestly the hype on Twitter maybe got a little carried away. It was really fun, but hardly the best fight I've seen in my life or anything. I think people are just hard up for good action with it being the usual boxing drought period (from Thanksgiving until early February) and with 2020 being kind of an overall downer - on the sport and in general - because of Covid. :sisi1

Skill level was only moderate but entertainment value I'd give it a solid 8.

sasto, ShovelHook and Inglis_1 like this.
  6. HamburgBuam

HamburgBuam Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Kang - Lee

1: 10:9
    2: 10:9
    3: 9:10
    4: 10:9
    5: 10:9
    6: 9:10
    7: 10:9
    8: 10:9
    9: 9:10
    10: 9:10
    11: 9:10
    12: 9:10

114-114

Good fight, but lacked momentum switches. It was brutal, but there could have been more drama with someone beeing hurt or down.
    Still an entertaining little war.

KO KIDD and IntentionalButt like this.
  7. Boxing Prospect

Boxing Prospect Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 10, 2012
    Low skill, high entertainment...it's what you get with Kang and have done for a couple of years now (his bout with Tomjune Mangubat is another cracker)

The opening 4 rounder was brilliant as well.

2020 is a criminally over-looked year BTW. It's easy to **** on it but we got a lot of hidden gems in this "low skill, fun action" sort of genre of bout...

IntentionalButt and Inglis_1 like this.
  8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Interesting; we scored it quite differently - only agreeing on the 9th for Lee (whereas I saw him clawing into the contest for the first time in the 4th & 5th, both of which you gave Kang...and thought he was a spent force making a valiant last stand in the championship rounds, which he actually swept on your card) ...but that's quite alright. It was a close, fun rumble throughout, with very few dominant or decisive rounds either way. :thumbsup:

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Crazy to have developed a reputation like that 'for a couple of years' and be just 19. :eek:

And like I said earlier kudos to Lee for hanging with someone literally half his age in such a grueling war over twelve.

As for 2020 it wasn't without some bright spots, but certainly a down year overall considering the first few lockdown months when there was nothing globally ..and then lack of audiences making promoters reticent to bother putting up expenses for shows without a live gate. I also happened to be going through a 'falling out of love' phase with boxing even in late 2019 anyway, so didn't go out of my way to catch all of what there was last year, may well have missed some gems.

10. Boxing Prospect

May 10, 2012
    Kang's bout with Tomjune Mungubat from 2019
    This content is protected

11. Boxing Prospect

May 10, 2012
    And his March 2019 bout with Ravshanbek Shermatov

This content is protected

12. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
  13. Boxing Prospect

May 10, 2012
    Not heard much about anyone from Japan recently, - although it doesn't affect Hatanaka directly, most of Kanto is in a State of emergency and fighters across Japan have been advised to train only if they have a fight signed. VERY few shows have been announced at the moment, sadly.

14. cleming

cleming Active Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for bringing my attention to that fight. It wasn't that good but still a decent watch, both fighters provided a very valiant effort. I had it wide for Kang.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    sasto likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    All Koreans are entertaining. Its a fact, don't you know? Was Kang in any good fights aside from this one and the one @Boxing Prospect mentioned vs Mangubat?