Jordan gill

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by micker1, May 10, 2019.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Not sure what Coldwell’s done wrong really. I suppose going to America to commentate on a fight during a camp isn’t great but this kind of thing as happened before and surely Gill was fine with it. If Gill had won, nobody would have mentioned it.

Bellew out of his depth got battered by a P4P star.
    Jamie McDonnell our of his depth got sparked by a P4P star.
    Fowler was involved in a superb fight against Fitzgerald who we’re all a little bit excited about.
    Gavin McDonnell was beaten by a superior fighter in Roman.
    Gill was poor for whatever reason or his level was exposed, only time will tell.

I’m going against the theme of the thread a bit. Maybe you’re all right about Coldwell. I just think all trainers go through a spell when their fighters get beaten and the finger gets pointed at them.

2. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    He also decided it would be a good idea to get Price up to 280 pounds to fight Hammer when we all know what Price's stamina is like hahaha but yes I see your point with the rest.

3. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Agree that trainers go through spells, I don't get the hate for Coldwell to be honest.

Another fighter people are writing off, although I didnt think Gill would be a genuine level world champion in the future he has got ability and is still young.

So he had one poor fight, what is it with people destroying fighters after a loss. As long as there involved in decent fights in the future, I couldn't care less if they lose.

Same happened with Fowler, lost by a point in a close fight then gets written off by a lot of people, he will only be British level etc.

What happens if you lose a close fight against someone, who hasn't fought above British level but is clearly levels above the domestic scene?

Your automatically resigned to the dumpster for many people here, even though that fighter is clearly on a similar level as the one that won.

Then you get people complaining when a promoter doesn't put on competitive match ups. Is it any surprise? People write off a fighter as soon as they lose, why take the risk early on if so called fans are just going to write off the fighter that loses.

Gill doesn't strike me as one to make up some sob story, so it's probable he was genuinely struggling with something. If he was then that's his fault for fighting(which hes admitted too), chalk it up as a learning experience and go again.

Holler, Clarence Gianni, N17 and 6 others like this.
  4. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Yes and the same will happen to whoever loses between Gorman and Dubois. Everyone will go on about how the loser has been badly 'exposed' etc.

Holler, BitPlayerVesti, N17 and 4 others like this.
  5. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    He loves a camera, so he can expect some criticism when all his fighters get bumped off.
    He gets gifted fighters from Hearn for some reason. The best boxer he's brought through himself is Jerome Wilson. Read Wilson's book "Wiped Out". It's a real eye opener.

DON1, im sparticus and N17 like this.
  6. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    He was very quick to hang Price out to dry after that defeat.

7. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    What are the rules for pulling out of fights on the day? Surely the draw was Wood last night so it could be relatively to pull Gill out if he was ill?

DavidJames and N17 like this.
  8. Max Thunder

Max Thunder Proud member of the Cult of Vikings Full Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Degale
    Ritson
    Eggington
    Skeete
    Glover
    Gill

Brits are currently in serious danger against overmatched opponents. Who will be next? If they are not careful, I say Josh Kelly.

Holler, N17 and Jurgen like this.
  9. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    The dislike for Coldwell is probably more based on his personality rather than actual coaching ability; he does appear to love jumping in front of the camera and generally comes across as an annoying p***k.

10. cfckieran

cfckieran Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Spat my coffee out reading that !

N17 likes this.
  11. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’m just looking at it from my point of view. I wouldn’t be happy if my trainer had left me for a week 10 days or so before I’m headlining.

Then from the other point of view it doesn’t look very professional. What was Gill doing in the gym? Was he still sparring when Coldwell got off last Wednesday? If so who was overseeing it? Who was overseeing his fight week prep? Who was making sure he was disciplined and in good health?

N17 likes this.
  12. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Would gill not have finished all the gym work for the fight by last weekend anyway? Not sure it's a big deal for coldwell to have gone to the States at that point

N17 likes this.
  13. @Maley

@Maley Active Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Saw a interview with Coldwell and he was gutted for gill. But his talking about international level and world level in 18 months time if that's the case why did they not make the Ryan Walsh fight for the British title that was ordered by the board. After his last fight it was all about kiko and European title. Doyle was commonwealth/English title level Walsh was surely the next step.

N17 and Scissors like this.
  14. DavidJames

DavidJames Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Best thing to do here is get the immediate rematch and then we will see if the loss was down to illness. The Mexican was no mug and would come back full of confidence so it would be a hard fight.
    A fight I would like to see is the Mexican v David Oliver Joyce! I think Joyce walks through Gill if they were to fight

Arnie likes this.
  15. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    The rules are, if your I'll your I'll. You can pull out at any time and as long as your genuine it will be marked down as unfortunate.
    In the Coldwell interview after the fight, Coldwell did seem genuinly upset. He was saying that he asked Jordan if he wanted to pull out but if Jordan was as bad as Dave was saying then he, acting as his manager and trainer, he should of pulled Jordan out.
    The book does stop with Coldwell here. Imo he's trying to cause a bit of a smokescreen by saying "I asked Jordan if he was fit to fight" he then continued to let us k ow how I'll Jordan was. Coldwell should of pulled him out, it's as simple as that. Sometimes the fighters need protecting from themselves and in thus case it sounds as tho gill was poorly but didn't want to be seen as letting the show down. This is where Coldwell should of stepped in and made the decision for him. Either that or gill wasn't as poorly as to warrant a pull out.