Jose Luis Garcia: 'Ten Count'

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ronnyrains, May 21, 2020.

1. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Jose Luis Garcia: 'Ten Count' Record 0-3
    vs Ranked Top Ten Opponents -(Ring Magazine)................Garcia Ranked

08/15/73 .........Ron Lyle ............# 6.........KO by 3.................Unranked
    10/01//74.........Joe Bugner.........# 7.........KO by 2 ................Unranked
    08/14/75..........Ken Norton.........# 3.........KO by 5.. ..............Unranked

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Garcia was a bit chubby and couldn't take a body shot.

3. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    I HAVE ABOUT 80 OF THESE I WANT TO DO, Double WW.
    I've accomplished about 30 so far on Boxing 24.
    (60's 70's HW's who were in the top ten of that time period).

One thing about Garcia unless you were Joe Alexander you flourished in the elite top ten by defeating the man

Ernie Terrell .....TO # 5
    Ron Lyle...........TO # 5
    Jimmy Young....TO # 10 -(WBA)
    Joe Bugner.......TO # 5
    Ken Norton ..... TO # 1
    Note: Knocking out then undefeated Ken Norton (16-0) in Los Angeles.- and at 188 lbs Garcia was known for having unlimited potential. And was ranked # 3 at one time.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Chubby? Dude was pretty shredded in the footage and photos I've seen.
    [url]https://boxrec.com/media/images//4/40/Jose-luis-garcia-Ken-Norton.jpg[/url]

5. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Why use Ring ratings? They were a magazine and had no official bearing on who got a title shot.

6. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    who do you suggest i use
    THE WBA??
    1966-1975 OUT OF 120 MONTHS I CAN ONLY FIND 80 ANYWHERE, AND THAT DON'T CUT IT, THEY WERE JUST ABOUT AS POLITICAL AS WBC AND THE REST OF THE VERMON, AND I EVEN GOT THRU TO THE MAIN GUY, WHO SAID THE RATINGS WERE BURNED IN A FIRE? WHAT NO COPIES, SOME BOXING ORGAINIZATION, NAT FLEISCHER TOOK PRIDE IN HIS. AND MONTHLY IN EVERY DIVISION YOU COULD COUNT ON

Nighttrain likes this.
  7. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    Jose was alot better at 188 lbs like your picture sent, when he knocked out Norton, they ballooned Jose up to fight the big boys, he got up to at least 215-220 big mistake, he was 6'4 true, but why baloon him up and make em lethargic?

mcvey and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  8. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I know that Jose Luis Garcia stopped Ken Norton in 1970.

9. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    He became a trial horse but that ko of Norton was awesome.

10. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    good point. Whenever one mentions Garcia, people say "who's he?", but he was really a pretty dangerous guy. He knocked out Ken Norton and Thad Spencer, and all of the guys you mentioned above (except Terrell) were at their peak when they beat him, and he still gave some of them a tough time. I wish Garcia had at least gotten one shot in the 70s, especially if he'd fought Foreman as champion, that would have been a war of hard punches.

ronnyrains and Nighttrain like this.
  11. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    Roman did win alotta fights, but really, he gets a shot? I'd rather seen Garcia in ther punch alone, ironically Roman saved Quarry's life in Alaska once, A guy pulled a .38 on Jerry, and Roman knocked the gun outta the guys hands THESE PIPELINERS JUMPED JERRY AND HE WAS DECKING THEM LEFT AND RIGHT 1977

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  12. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’d take the Ring rankings over the WBA(gman) any day. Bob Arum has talked openly about sending a bag of cash down to get who he wanted rated.

Not to mention their foisting the likes of Ernesto Espana into what seemed like a an every-other-month title shot due to either payoffs or cronyism.

No thanks.

13. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Totally agree! The alphabet organizations rating are a joke and only indicative of the agenda’s of the promoter which they are in bed. The Ring was not perfect and had scandals of their own but alphabet org rankings are at often merely shading propaganda.

ronnyrains and mcvey like this.
  14. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    Thanks Nighttrain never heard back from what lofty rankings to use, Ring had scandals with King and Nat Loubet BUT Nat Fleischer REALLY BROKE DOWN THOSE RATINGS, Until June 1972 , loubet did a good job at first till Don King got his hooks in em. Well, more like his pocketbook.

In my own opinion # 8 to # 10 Ring seemed to always be found wanting, and usually ranked Europeon and other Countries fighter's for those posts, reasoning they did not have they opportunities of American Fighter's,. all the same, Evangelista, Blin, Urtain, Roman, Bodell, Corletti etc. were not going to beat they elite, but received a gaudy ranking all the same. I'm surprised Dangerous Danny McAlinden never got in, And Jack O'Halloran should have for his State title Henry Clark win.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Nighttrain likes this.
  15. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    AFAIK, the Ring magazine ratings scandal was limited to its U.S. rankings that were used in that Don King-promoted ABC tournament.

It’s a very narrow window of time and I don’t think it impacted the world rankings. And it was cleaned up.

By contrast, the WBA (along with the other alphabets) have been in the pockets of their preferred promoters (the great Flash Gordon used to call the two organizations of his time the WBArun and the WBKing) or whoever would bring them a sack of money for more than half a century and have not changed their way of doing things to this day.

Ring is as good a gauge as you’re going to find consistently over time. Perfect? Nah. But at least not 50-plus years of uninterrupted corruption.

ronnyrains and Nighttrain like this.