Jose Luis Ramirez

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GoldenHulk, May 1, 2020.

1. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    A blast from the past. I don't think he;s been mentioned on this forum despite his come from behind kayo of Ecwin Rosario.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Underrated fighter. He currently sits in the World boxing hall of fame and frankly I’m not sure If he belongs there. But ring magazine rated him in their top 100 best punchers of all time. Stopped 82 of his 102 victims. Lost 9 fights most of which to great fighters. Beat Ewin Rosario for the WBA title when he was undefeated. Beat Cornelius Boza Edwards too. His win over Pernell Whitaker was one of the worst robberies ever though. Sweet pea took care of things in the rematch. I saw Ramirez fight Chavez when I was in high school. One other thing that I find impressive is that Ramirez was only stopped once in like 112 fights. That stoppage came against a great fighter in Rubin Olivares. Pretty durable guy

3. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I did a thread on him once, I think.

Well-connected, reinvented himself by hooring himself out to the Acaries Brothers in France. Favorite son of the WBC. Competent fighter though not as good as his glossy record suggests.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    He gets talked about a bit. He's one of these guys that certified you were a damn good fighter if you beat him.

5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
  6. RingKing

RingKing Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I feel he beat Arguello. Very good fighter, but I would have a difficult time saying he was great.

7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Dominated Sweat Pea late in his career. GOAT.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Jose Luis Ramirez was a stalker, who fought straight up, classic stance, no footwork, but he did pack a punch as seen in his come from behind victory over Edwin Rosario in 1984, to win the WBC Lightweight Title. He looked dreadful against Hector Macho Camacho, on Aug 10 1985, losing his title by unanimous decision. The Macho Man was simply too fast for him, even got decked.

9. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Good fighter, and the kind of fighter which is a nice win for any all-time great to have on their record. Won the Lightweight division Hagler-Hearns when he came through the brawl with Rosario in their rematch. A few solid wins outside of that, too, and obviously very impressive-looking stats albeit quite padded ones.

His chin, willingness to take a shot (his defence was absolutely horrendous at times) and own excellent power made him a very difficult man to out-brawl. Even Chavez had the good sense to keep it long or mid-range a bit more than usual when they fought, and mix things up with some rounds on the back foot. And after three tricky opening rounds, Chavez absolutely boxed his ears off.

That was the problem with Ramirez. Very good in his strongest areas, but those areas were very few in number and he was terribly limited. Looked inept against Chavez, Whitaker and Camacho - basically the really world class or intelligent fighters he boxed. But certainly made the most of what he had and was probably an overachiever. Very solid career.