Jose Pipino Cuevas vs Aaron The Hawk Pryor, at 147 lbs, Both Prime, 15 Rounds.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Jose Pipino Cuevas vs Aaron The Hawk Pryor, at 147 lbs, Both Prime, 15 Rounds. Aaron has cleaned out his division and ants to try Pipino on for size, who wins? Can Cuevas land cleanly on Aaron?

Sangria and mrkoolkevin like this.
  2. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Pryer easy win probably KO him

3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Jose by decapitation around the fifth or six.

Pryor was reckless and got clocked by several of his opponents. And Cuevas is a welter whereas Aaron was a lightweight who moved up a division because he could get a title shot that way.

Keleneki, Roughhouse, BoB Box and 8 others like this.
  4. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
  5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I believe Cuevas stops him after being behind on the cards.

6. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I've got the hawk by mid to late round stoppage with his superior hand and foot speed being the difference. Pipino is always dangerous but he gets busted up by Pryor's fast hands.

7. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Pipino had sledge hammers as fists.
    Pryors problem is going to be at some point he is going to slug with Pipino which is a bad idea.
    Pipino comes from behind in round 10.

8. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Whenever I think of Pryor fighting the first memory that pops into my head is from, I think, the DuJuan Johnson fight. That memory is of Pryor walking into a punch, going down, doing a back somersault to get up and resuming the fight.
    If he walks into one against Cuevas, I expect that he might do several back somersaults but I don't think that he would jump up to resume the fight. At least not for a minute or two.

George Crowcroft, cslb, Jel and 8 others like this.
  9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Prime Cuevas would kill him.

10. Matt Bargas

Matt Bargas Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Yes, we all can remember how Arguello hit him with his best shots, and Pryor kept on.

We are assuming that Cuevas is able to get his best shot in as well. What we don't know is just how much harder Cuevas is going to hit. Is it going to be enough to take out Pryor? If not, Pryor overwhelms him.

11. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Hard to pick Pryor because Prime Pryor had zero experience at 147 .. He just didnt fight there .. Biggest he probably would have got ?? my guess 144 ... and too wide open at times defensively .. I can see Cueves catchng him with that hook KO Cueves

12. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    If you could talk Pryor into boxing , sticking and moving giving him angles , then he could, uh, aw crap that ain't happening , he'll trade with Pipino and get stopped.

Levook, Greg Price99, BoB Box and 3 others like this.
  13. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Pryor was the better fighter but size and styles come into play here. Cuevas probably stops him.

14. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Alexis was a blown-up feather fighting at a weight that was a bridge slightly too far, as well as getting shopworn.

Prime Pipino is a wrecking ball a full division — you could argue two as it was always understood that Pryor could have made 135 still — above his best, and a division at which he was untested to say the least.

It’s easy to imagine Pryor being more of a pesky fly at that weight. He’d have hand speed and combination, but that’s not to say he could do real damage ... and while Aaron did hang with AA’s best (again, he’s not a true 140 and he’s lost a little off his fastball) he also got clipped by lesser lights who put him down and hurt him.

If Pipino hurts him, Aaron stays hurt.

15. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    I favour Pryor, but it's a dangerous fight tbh. I expect Pryor to box more (as he could) moving in & out, attacking when necessary using speed, movement & angles to get a late 10th stoppage or UD.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.