Jose Pipino Cuevas vs Aaron The Hawk Pryor, at 147 lbs, Both Prime, 15 Rounds.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Nov 27, 2020.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I'd have to favor Cuevas by ko.

2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Aaron Th Hawk Pryor has the speed and power at 140 lbs, he stopped many opponents such as Alexis Arguello twice. But he has been decked by Akio Kameda, and Antonio Kid Pambele Cervantes. Imagine what a stoic Jose Pipino Cuevas would do to him, especially when Pryor comes off of his toes to trade with Pipino. I see this scenario happening with Cuevas catching Aaron with this very paralyzing left hook, but The Hawk would somersault backwards to the canvas in round 6 for the full ten count. The weight difference and the fact that Pipino hits much harder than Arguello, Cervantes and Kameda.

3. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Probably Pryor but what is Cuevas connects? I give it Pryor by 7th round knockout.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Humour me, let’s say Cuevas is on the level of Alexis in power do you think he is overwhelmed as the fight persists?

5. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I don’t understand the question exactly. Are you asking what would happen if Pryor could take Cuevas’ punches? In that case, I think everyone would have to favor Pryor.

That’s wishful thinking at best, though. Cuevas’ power was in a different league to Arguello’s at Welterweight. Both of them were better pound for pound fighters than Pipino, but they’re likely too small to hurt him, and there’s no way they wouldn’t be hurt by him.

A puncher beats a swarmer, as the old adage goes. A significantly bigger puncher destroys a swarmer.

6. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The problem with that is that at 147, Cuevas punches significantly harder than Arguello at 140. And Arguello had moved up from 126, Cuevas was always a welterweight and Pryor is the guy moving up.
    I can't see Pryor initiating a shootout with Cuevas and coming out on top.

7. Matt Bargas

Matt Bargas Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Cuevas landed some shots on Duran, also a lightweight moving up, and wasn't able to take him out.
    Maybe Pryor can shake off his shots as well.

8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    R u comparing Pryor to the great Duran??? I hope not.

Reinhardt and Journeyman92 like this.
  9. Alex Linares

Alex Linares New Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2020
    Pryor moved better than Pipino and was also faster but Pipino was such a hard hitter. Pryor would have run into one Pipino's heavy punches sometime past middle of the fight and that would've been the end. Pipino by KO by the 8th round

10. UltimateDestroyer

UltimateDestroyer Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2020
  11. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Cuevas wasn't the same after losing to Hearns. He went 8-8 after that loss and the best fighter he knocked out was Mauricio Bravo, who was on a 1-7 run to end his career.
    Those punches from Hearns ended the "prime "- I hate that word- of Cuevas, and took his legs, his punch resistance, and his punching power.

12. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Cuevas blasts Pryor.

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I would bet on Cuevas because I think the odds would be good and I think, in his prime, he could pull it off. He had a streak of excellence the likes of which are not often seen.

greynotsoold likes this.
  14. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    He’s somersault ass over teakettle across the ring, through the ropes, down the steps, up the aisle, around the concourse, into the locker room and come to a stop sitting on his stool, thinking it’s time to go to the ring for introductions and wondering where his cornermen are.

greynotsoold likes this.
  15. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011
    My money is on Cuevas this time. He has a clear physical advantage: bigger, stronger, tougher, with murderous punching power.

Only chance I see for Pryor would be to keep the distance and try to outbox Cuevas.

If Pryor sticks to a cautious, safety first, disciplined fight he should be OK; but as soon as he tries to brawl with Pipino he goes down and stays down..

Pugguy and Richard M Murrieta like this.