Jose Stable vs Vince Shomo - Fantastic Mid 60's Welterweight WAR

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, May 5, 2018.

1. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    How did PPV work in 1966? I know how it worked when it became big in the 90's but don't have a clue about it before that point and time.

2. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    It was a trial. I think they set up some sort of box in some people's houses. It was only shown in parts of London, Sheffield and might of been Manchester. I've got the newspaper clippings somewhere with all the details. It was 10 bob fee which was like 50 pence or that would of been a dollar 50 in American money at the time. It doesn't sound much but that was probably more expensive than now in Britain.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Russell likes this.
  3. cleming

cleming Active Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Thank you !

Russell likes this.
  4. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    No problem sir. Subscribe if you get the chance, it helps support what I'm trying to do.

5. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Emile Griffith gave Stable a shot at the WW Crown. On the same fight card was the
    Jose Torres v Willie Pastrano Title bout (Pastrano: "When Torres hit me with that liver body shot,
    I saw 'yellow spots' ").

Looking over the records of the WW's of the 1960-1968 era, you see very good to great fighters
    fighting each other: Griffith, LRodriguez, Benny Kid, Manny Gonzales, Cokes, Stable, Kitten Hayward, Gypsy Joe Harris, etc, Classic Member experts will add others, and many of the fights were on home TV nationwide.

1965-03-30 : Emile Griffith 146½ lbs beat Jose Stable 146 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
    For Griffith's World Welterweight Title.

• Stable was rocked and out on his feet in the 11th round.
    • Griffith's purse: $70,000; Stable's purse: $10,000
    • Attendance: 18,112
    • Gate: $239,956
    • This card also featured Jose Torres defeating Willie Pastrano for the World Light Heavyweight Title.
    Source: New York Times

"Emile Griffith retained his world welterweight crown Tuesday night by bombing and bulling his way to a unanimous 15 round decision over dogged Jose Stable in the first half of the championship double-header. Griffith, a 13-5 favorite, took command early and wore down the challenger from Cuba with solid left jabs and hooks. Only in the 1st round did Stable give Griffith any trouble. He staggered the champion with a short left hook, but Emile shook off the blow. Then, starting in the 3rd round, Griffith took command, winning the next five by big margins as he showed the young Cuban who was boss with clever counter-punching. Griffith never let up on Stable once he got warmed up, and for the remainder of the fight it was only a question of whether Stable would remain on his feet." - Montana Standard Post Wire Services

6. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Knew about Jose Stable because i followed Emile Griffith career. I met him in Sydney when he was trainer of Juan Laporte who was fighting Kostya Tszyu. Thanks very much for once again posting some hidden gem fights.

Russell likes this.
  7. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    I've had this online for seven days now and I've had an astounding 58 views. I remain underwhelmed. :lol:

8. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    My first time watching him--seems like a very exciting fighter. I wonder how his style (swinging for the punches, periodically punching himself out of position or off balance) would have served him against the tighter, more conservative fighters of recent years. Does he overwhelm them with his attacks or do they exploit the way he over-commits to his punches?

McGrain likes this.
  9. gogeta

gogeta Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2016
    I need to find more obscure fights like this

10. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    George Crowcroft and gogeta like this.
  11. gogeta

gogeta Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2016
    William Walker likes this.
  12. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Np man. Enjoy. Keep your eye on it. I will be uploading fights as I watch them chronologically.

gogeta likes this.