Joseph William Calzaghe vs. Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jan 24, 2023.

The Welsh Dragon or Canelo?

1. Calzaghe on points

88.5%
  2. Calzaghe by stoppage

8.2%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Álvarez on points

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Álvarez by stoppage

3.3%
  1. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Im going for Calzaghe to Bivol him.

2. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Never seen anything in Alvarez that would bother Zags - just a really bad - if not the worst style match up for Canelo. And Joe was not a small 168 lber.

Speed, angles, footwork and some of the best workrate is just a mare for Canelo

It would be like Bivol, except more dominant, and possibly even a late stoppage - Canelo simply won't be able to keep up, and could even get stopped late.

Keldan likes this.
  3. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I still need someone to explain to me how folks were putting Canelo top 50 all time when even Calzaghe's biggest fans don't put him any higher than 80 (if he indeed even makes a top 100) and Calzaghe is clearly superior to Canelo. :thinking:

The maths ain't mathing.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  4. turbotime

turbotime Hall Of Famer Full Member

May 4, 2012
    Super Joe. I miss that guy. The Welsh Warrior

5. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Money. That's why. Canelo is a revenue generator. Everybody involved in the boxing ecosystem is trying to get fat off the Canelo fanbase. Pumping up Canelo's rating puts more eyeballs on the screen.

6. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    I mean they could tell the truth, that Calzaghe is a much better fighter, both in absolute terms and in pound for pound terms, but Calzaghe being a Welshman who rarely left the UK, didn't have the economic clout necessary for the powers that be to promote his greatness.

7. markclow

markclow Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Joe easily beats Clenelo.
    So does Ward.

The real question is who wins Calzaghe vs Ward.
    On that one I don't know... I am leaning towards Ward as he beat Kovalev (albeit by cheating).

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Calzaghe beats Canelo wide. Ward wins a comfortable decision against Calzaghe. Hes too fundamentally sound for the unorthodox somewhat technically flawed Calzaghe.

9. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Joe likely wins every round, it is not as if canelo will rough him up

Canelo much too short and not fast enough

Calzaghe was brilliant at 168 and he usually raises his game in the big fights
    Easy win for JC

10. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Ginger nuts would have to get 3 Adelaide Byrds in judging to have a chance.

Wide UD for the Welsh Dragon

11. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Had to go Calzaghe UD and I agree with most, Joe's work rate and athleticism sees him through to a wide points win.

12. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Canelo struggles with southpaws, fleet footed and slicker fighters, someone who puts on a high pace consistently, someone who's bigger with a similar level of boxing and especially struggles against elite jabbers. Calzaghe has everything that Canelo can't handle, plus he's tough as hell so he could probably take whatever single shot bombs Canelo would land on him sporadically although he'd evade most of those telegraphed loaded up shots. I don't think this is much of a debate that can be had. Calzaghe is bigger, faster and more versatile. He can beat Alvarez boxing in any of the many ways he can.

13. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Assuming it's on the level, Calzaghe would use Canelo's head as a speed bag.

14. Salad Man

Salad Man Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2022
    Joe slaps Canelo around like a red-headed step child