Josh James William Taylor vs. Jack Catterall & Robeisy Ramirez vs. Eric Donovan RBR.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Boxing Prospect

Boxing Prospect Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 10, 2012
    For those that don't spot them, the "less" figure is the deductions, they are to be applied AFTER the round is scored, not during. As a result TECHNICALLY the round 10 should have been a 10-7 and round 11 an 8-9.

chacal likes this.
  2. OBCboxer

OBCboxer Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Good scrap. Thought Catterall edged it 113-112. Would love to see a rematch.

3. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Lmao

Goose likes this.
  4. zelky

zelky Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Missed it (I run a team training session Sunday mornings :() but I assumed I'd come home to find Taylor **** it in.

He's apparently didn't. Can't wait to see it.

I was ready to anoint Taylor the next great 147 pounder. Looks like Catterill (and weight issues) didn't read the script.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  5. Kosst Amojan

Kosst Amojan Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 14, 2021
    Point deductions are done after the fight/ last round, not in that where it happened.:deal: 10-point must system...​

6. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    What a gritty performance by Jack.

Fought a great tactical fight and made Josh look 2nd rate for long stretches. Stood up to his rough housing and continued to frustrate him.

I didn't score it. J-catt felt like he earned it and deserves a rematch.
    He must feel like Begby at the end of Trainspotting 1.
    The weans will definitely be against Josh after that performance.

PIPO23 and gollumsluvslave like this.
  7. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    There were lots of strange facets to this fight. Taylor's effort, the ref's constant time outs and taking points away unnecessarily.

Another was the incredible difficulty the ref had in separating the fighters when they were holding. I've seen many times when a fighter gets hurt he will grab his opponent and hold on for dear life. That makes sense. That was not the case in this fight. The ref was constantly having to pry them apart like they were Crazy Glued together. I believe it was Catterall holding on tightly most of the time but it was tough to tell.

The hold fight was weird.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  8. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crawford was always high talk. Not that there would be/would've been anything wrong with making the fight if Bud had nothing better to do, but it would be/would've been a hopeful reach to pick Taylor.

The Scot deserved praise for unifying junior welterweight — it's what we want to see fighters do, face the other best guys at their weight and determine a top dog between them — but tonight's developments have to put the accomplishment (and estimations of Taylor's ceiling in general) into perspective. Prograis and Ramírez were good world level fighters, but not especially good ones. Unifying 140 was a commendable feat, but not one to get carried away with.

[url]In one of the pre-fight threads, another poster astutely discerned a parallel between Taylor heading into this one and what happened to Teofimo López recently[/url]. His fans should be concerned by the mental vulnerabilities he revealed tonight. He ultimately pulled it together, toiled through the adversity and ground out an official victory by hook or crook, but he looked like a hotheaded bully exposed at points, gradually frustrated and then distressed at not having things his way, seemed unravelled for a period that Catterall didn't have the firepower/killer instincts to capitalize on — had to wonder if a more concussive and physically imposing guy with ability comparable to Catterall might have broken his will.

I'm not hearing any weight talk. Taylor is one fight and less than a year on from a performance that had guys eulogizing him. If he let it all hang out and blew up after Ramírez, or if he looked past Catterall, that's all on him.

gollumsluvslave and Fogger like this.
  9. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    On a serious note Serge I hope JT can pull himself together because he is a lad I really like and being a Scotsman is a plus in my book. I don’t know if his weight at Light Welterweight is in issue but I see tougher times at 147 for him. As you know there are some real killers there. As we both agreed JT has been matched really tough from an early stage. As for Caterall I did not know a great deal about him but he is very skilled you can see why he has been a sparring partner for Mayweather and Canelo.

10. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    By the way Serge I wanted you to know if I did not say it yesterday I respect the fact that you scored the fight for Caterall. We have seen dreadful decisions in boxing before. It’s not the first time nor will it be the last time.

11. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Taylor is a solid, tough, proper hard man. But leaves a lot to be desired as far as skill and technique.

12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    He`s too easy to hit, a hard punching welter would have stopped him last night.

chacal likes this.
  13. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Valid criticism from yesterday’s fight .

14. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Yes

15. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    You know it's a real bad one when everybody is agreeing with Johnny Nelson :lol: