Josh James William Taylor vs. Jack Catterall & Robeisy Ramirez vs. Eric Donovan RBR.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Feb 26, 2022.

1. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    My perception during the fight live - still not re-watched and given how scrappy an affair it was not sure I will - was that Taylor's aggression was pretty much entirely ineffective, with Catterall negating almost everything with either good head movement, blocking and sharp counters, and if those failed, tying Josh up in the clinch. I gave Taylor the 2nd, but nothing more till the 7th.

However, I was more pre-occupied by how of sorts Taylor was, and how fluid Catterall was to really be paying to much attention to precise scoring, and that perception could have led me to miss a few things, which is why I want to watch it again at some point, but will likely leave it a good few weeks

CST80 and Banana-Rama like this.
  2. Banana-Rama

Banana-Rama Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    That's fair. Watching with the commentary off might make a difference if you ever have the stomach to watch it again.

CST80 likes this.
  3. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Give me a blow by blow breakdown as to why. You cannot make a demonstrative argument beyond a shadow of a doubt that Taylor didn't take them. The idea that giving those rounds to Taylor is somehow egregious I find utterly asinine. I think all of you were hypnotized by the biased Sky commentary. Here in America, we had Andre Ward and TIm Bradley, who while critical of Taylor... also tried to keep their wits about them, not overreact and called it fairly and squarely right down the middle. When you have rounds that are that close, something as simple the power of suggestion can be quite powerful.

Quina74 likes this.
  4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Boxing is a subjective sport, if you don't see what I see that's fine.

However as subjective as boxing is, sometimes you have to concede if the vast majority of observers score it one way and you score it differently, you're probably in the wrong.

Noel857 likes this.
  5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm not going to rewatch the fight, fair play to you for doing so.

But the problem was that Catterall was consistently outlanding Taylor round by round. He was landing cleaner, more snappy shots and he was avoiding almost everything coming back at him.

Not sure how into gambling you are, but here's an example of what I'm talking about in terms of how one sided it was.

I put a fiver on Catterall pre fight, after the talk of Taylor moving up to 147 I figured he might struggle in this one (and I fully believe that's why he struggled, Taylor is legit) the odds were 7-1 so I'd get £40 back if Catterall won.

After round 7, the bookie offered a cash out of £32 for my money. That's how convinced they were Catterall was winning comfortably.

Another bookie was that disgusted by the result they paid out on all bets that had Catterall winning on points.

As it happens I cashed out my bet, then placed a bet on Taylor to win, with him being the a side I knew he'd probably get a dodgy decision as its common place now in boxing that the a side gets the W.

The fight was absolutely dictated by Cat. Over 90% of people on this board scored it for him. Boxing publications call this one of the worst decisions ever.

As asinine as you find it, when that many people score a fight differently to you, you have to concede. I thought Ioka won his last fight, but I have to concede to the majority that I'm probably wrong.

Noel857 likes this.
  6. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    I rewatched the rounds in question... twice. The only one I saw fit to flip was the 4th. Maybe you should give it a dispassionate rewatch.

Not in most of the close rounds he wasn't. Taylor's defense was also quite tight, he rode with many of those shots and slipped them entirely. Taylor's body work, and sneaky right hooks seemed to be overlooked by everyone, especially in the early rounds.

I'm not into gambling at all. I think therein may lie the problem with many of you. It's hard for you not to be emotionally invested. As far as I go, I had no money on it, of course I picked Taylor, as does almost everyone else. So I have no reason to shill for him or root hard for him. It's not like taking an L here would make me look like an idiot. I certainly don't dislike Catterall and I frequently score against people I picked, like I did the night before across the board on the Islam vs. Kilrain Kelly card. While yes, I am a big fan of Taylor's, I also scored the match against Prograis and Postol close. So I'm certainly not above handing in a harsh scorecard as far as he's concerned.

Also, something that needs to be taken into consideration.... his political views do make him unpopular with some, so in some ways, that could contribute greatly when it comes to people rooting against him.

You let your emotions get the best of you. THis was in Scotland, why would you allow yourself to be so naive? While many of the rounds were close, this was also clearly close enough for the home fighter to get teh benefit of the doubt in.

They call every "robbery" one of the worst decisions ever made. They're prone to hyperbole. Not all that dissimilar than when entertainment publications were proclaiming M. Night Shyamalan the next Hitchcock and Philip Seymour Hoffman on Brando's level.:lol:

I did take it into consideration, which is why I rewatched it then rewatched a handful of round again. I stand by my assessment. However, if someone wants to flip it to Catterall by a round... maybe two, fine. But this worst robbery ever nonsense needs to end.

Quina74, VanBasten and Banana-Rama like this.
  7. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    So do you think Ward Kovalev 1 was a robbery or no?

8. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Yes, because 6 of the rounds weren't even close. So shut the **** up.

Quina74 likes this.
  9. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Yea, that's what I thought. Credibility in the toilet. After the the Horn's rhythm will give Crawford problems fiasco I'm not sure you recover from this.

10. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Says the guy who has Ward's **** lodged in every orifice. You're a despicably biased vile poster, you really aren't one to talk. Try getting on here and scoring literally almost every televised fight during the year, post your RBR scores for all to see and scrutinize.... then maybe you can criticize someone else's credibility.

Wow, I got one wrong, but I got Marrero beating Slavinskyi, Martinez beating Ancajas, Russell beating Postol and Garcia beating Colbert right just the other day, and even laid out exactly why. Just like I did with Ruiz beating AJ and Povetkin beating Whyte and yes.... Horn beating Pacquiao. Sometimes people can overthink things and get it wrong, it happens to all of us. But I'd much rather think outside of the box, and take risks occasionally, and end up looking like a fool.... than live in it 24/7 like you, playing it safe. You'll never be on my level when it comes to this sport, you know that, which is precisely why you attempt to tear me down every chance you get. So insecure.

Quina74 and Banana-Rama like this.
  11. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    If the whole world disagreed with me I might also rewatch the rounds, but as it is my card isn't questionable.

The rounds you somehow view as close, weren't really that close. Catterall was clearly in charge.

The Prograis fights and Postol fights were close, everyone has them close. But here he jusy wasn't able to figure out Catterall at any point. I figured from your card you had picked Taylor though and I suspect that's why your judgement here is so far off the consensus view.

I wouldn't even know what his political views are, most people don't. They like Taylor because he has fought top competition and produces exciting fights. Although his post fight interviews have turned a lot of people away from him as he's has an opportunity to concede Catterall got the better of him and he didn't take it.

Betting on Catterall wasn't naive, it was reflective of the odds. Cashing out when he was miles up wasn't naive, it was reflective of the nature of British boxing these days. Betting on Taylor to win wasn't naive, it was reflective of how the A side often ends up winning fights they shouldn't. And whilst it seemed inconceivable that Taylor would get the W, I bet on it because this is boxing and crazy stuff happens all the time, plus the odds at that point were insane again in my favour.

You don't live over here do you haven't seen the backlash to it. There's consensus agreement that the wrong decision has been rendered. Even the polls on this site demonstrate a 90% vote in favour of Catterall. It isn't nonsense when everyone else who watched the fight is saying something different to you, it's an indication you're wrong.

12. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Yeah... because groupthink and collective hysteria isn't a thing right?:rolleyes: Also... I'm a better scorer than most mouthy overly opinionated Twitter casuals, I trust my judgement over theirs.

I scored it 113-112 Taylor.... get a grip, that score is perfectly acceptable, as is 113-112 Catterall. The reasonable ones saying they thought Jack edged it, fine.. they're okay. All of the maniacs screaming robbery, that's just ridiculous.

Banana-Rama and Quina74 like this.
  13. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    The problem with group think is that most people watched the fight separately and reached the conclusion themselves. As for your ability to score, I'd say it's fairly well documented that your scores have come across as biased at times towards the fighters you picked in the league, but that's fine because your scores represent your own view of how a fight should be. It's just on this instance your views don't line up with the views of everyone else.

6 rounds a piece is too generous to Taylor. 7-5 is also pushing it tbh. The decision was an awful one. The judging is actually being reviewed by the BBoC it is considered to be thay poor. Catterall is likely to never again get a shot at all 4 belts, it's outrageous how much this has likely affected his carer, given how comprehensively he had beaten Taylor.

Noel857 likes this.
  14. Banana-Rama

Banana-Rama Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    They were all (at least in the uk) listening to the same biased pro Catterall sky commentary though, which has a big impact on perceptions, especially when it comes to the casual boxing observer. So they didn't reach the same conclusion all by themselves, they were steered in that direction.

aaaaa and CST80 like this.
  15. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Catterall is a Frank Warren and BT Sport fighter.
    Sky have a deal with Top Rank who signed Josh Taylor. Its absurd to claim Sky were biased against their own boxer.
    The just called is as they saw it.