Josh Kelly brutally exposed- what does he need to do next?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by destruction, Feb 20, 2021.

1. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    What @Twentyman says is all pretty much spot on, Kelly needs to move up in weight and become a different fighter under a new trainer. He’s still young enough to do something, I’ve never been that keen on him but there’s plenty of talent in there and he shouldn’t be too disheartened.

2. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    He needs patches o’hoolahan to teach him how to dodge punches
    If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a punch lol

Holler and Wizbit1013 like this.
  3. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    You know what, I have lost some respect for Adam Booth and Josh Kelly.

It's been a week, no interviews, there was none after the fight, sort of understandable but Kelly wasn't sparked, we've seen others take worse beatings and then get in front of a camera and speak up.. what's all that about?

Booth got himself on TV the week before talking up Kelly and doing Sky punditry, passing judgement on other fighters and coaches, especially with Warrington and his corner.

I don't believe for a second if Kelly won they wouldn't have been on Sky, IFL, Boxing Social, BBC and the rest.

Where's the same energy?

Holler and djfonti like this.
  4. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    I find the whole thing bizarre. A few years ago Booth was saying he needs to be in with Khan and Brook ASAP. I thought jeez he must be good. Then he fought Robinson and didn't look all that. You'd think they would pump the brakes at this point but instead they looked at an even tougher opponent in Avanesyan. They then tried to reduce it to a ten rounder, clearly realising they might be in over their heads. The fight comes around and Booth has him trading on the inside despite his lack of power and stamina. I mean are they just utterly deluded about his level or does Booth need the money or both? Now they've done a runner and gone in to hiding

N17, Patter983 and Boon like this.
  5. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Josh Kelly was over-hyped and overrated. The arrogant fool lost to Ray Robinson. That shows his level.

Amateur pedigree? He did absolutely nothing at the Olympics.

He is bound to do absolutely nothing as a professional. He will never become a legitimate world champion. Brit level is where he belongs

N17 likes this.
  6. Spongebob south paw pants

Spongebob south paw pants Active Member Full Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Kelly needs to learn defense as well as offence. If you keep your gloves by your hips and keep sticking you're chin out showboating. Then things can go south very fast in the ring he does have talent, against decent fighters you can't offer that up.
    If he gets over his ego and boxes with sense still think he can do things. Needs to change up his style imo

N17 likes this.
  7. high tower

high tower Active Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2008
    I didn’t understand the matchmaking. Putting your 11 fight pro in against the European champ who no ones knows but who just did lajaraga in a round , is not great matchmaking.

N17 and Sap1en like this.
  8. MarchingOn

MarchingOn New Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2021
    He won a European Bronze medal. and just qualifying for the Olympics is an achievement and indicates amateur pedigree as the European Qualifiers are the toughest continent to qualify from as Europe has most of the best boxers obviously.

How many Olympic Games have you qualified for?! Feel free to list your achievements!

Arnie likes this.
  9. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    I heard Josh Kelly got KTFO or something?

N17 likes this.
  10. GatherInformation101

GatherInformation101 New Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Josh Kelly is no doubt one of the best boxers out here today but the performance I have seen yesterday was his worst. The dude needs to get out of the the Philly Shell position because it isn't his style and was doing better with his hands down and getting hit less. He hardly really used his footwork and was terrible this fight. I hope that guy finds his style back again because we need to see those Nomaschenko footwork this time around.

11. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

Amateur boxing and professional boxing are very different things.

We've seen it time and time again, fighters have great amateur careers but don't reproduce that as a professional.

destruction and Boon like this.
  12. MarchingOn

MarchingOn New Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Yeah but I don't know why you're condoning that troll Boon.That loser doesn't respect how hard it is to even qualify for the Olympics in the European qualifiers.

The hype for Josh Kelly went a long time ago. When it was pretty clear he was more style over substance . So his loss wasn't even a shock like the Warrrngton one was. The bookies had it even. Still Kelly could do well at British and European level though.