Josh Kelly - I just DONT see it, OVERRATED prospect, a KO waiting to happen!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by El Chicano, Apr 22, 2019.

1. BaileyBlack

BaileyBlack New Member banned Full Member

May 31, 2018
    While many people see this brilliant talent when the see Josh Kelly, all I see is poor fundamentals. Unfortunately that blinds me to whatever talent he might have.

Can anyone list Kelly's key positives aside from being flashy?

velagod and Holler like this.
  2. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I guess I I'm in the minority that a hands down style is perfectly fine. Every boxer gets hit but if you're style involves having your hands low then that is automatically the reason to the critics. Not because you failed to see it coming or was caught with your feet out of position or anything.

3. BaileyBlack

May 31, 2018
    Its not just the hands down style though. Its all the showboating against journeymen that gets me.

Holler likes this.
  4. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
  5. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Nah, Kelly would beat Avanesyan.

6. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Well he obviously has good reflexes and speed, he's just way too one dimensional, like a really shitty Naseem in terms of creativity. To have that style you have to be creative not predictable, and he's very predictable. Throws punches at the same speed, throws a lot of the same punches from the same angles. The first couple rds against him can be confusing, but once you adjust to it, any fundamental boxer will take him to school. Kelly needs to either become a lot more creative or change his style up to a more conventional style. Work on fundamentals and try to emulate a Canelo like style. He reminds me of Canelo in terms of explosive handspeed and reflexes, now he's not even close to Canelo in terms of ring IQ, defense, etc.

piprules and BaileyBlack like this.
  7. BaileyBlack

May 31, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. Can see the good reflexes and speed. However, I also see him getting himself in bad positions and then showboats to appear like everything is planned.

Good observation on the style being confusing to the opposing fighter at first but then them working it out. I think his style would annoy lots of his competitors driving them on to try to get back at him.

I don't know him as a person but I think his style tries to embarass the opponent at the expense of being efficient. I think Buatsi is much more of a prospect than Kelly for this reason.

ellerbe likes this.
  8. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Sky Sports uploaded PBK's last fight

This content is protected

Pimp C likes this.
  9. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    No.

10. velagod

velagod Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Yeah plus his trainer booth likes his fighters to fight with low hands and get by on athleticism and explosive power ( Kelly doesn’t have the explosive power though) so it won’t be trained out of him anyway.

He’s massive ko waiting to happen.

Birmingham and pistal47 like this.
  11. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Good post this

12. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Yep, there was a reason why they ducked this fight and wil not fight him!

13. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I'm kind of fence sitting

On one hand: He showboated a lot and got hit at times and just barely evaded other punches. If the guy he fought had power it could be different

On the other: He knew the guy had no power and was no threat so he fought really relaxed and showboated

This is only a problem if he gets Nate Campbell'd because he clowns too much or it becomes a habit and he does this vs elite opponents

I didnt watch him as an am and as a US fan I have only watched his most recent fights on DAZN. He is pretty good for less than 10 fights and just went 10 pretty easily.

I glanced at boxrec and saw in less than 10 fights he has beaten Molina a former belt holder who I used to watch and root for, obviously past his prime but was a very good boxer. The guy he beat was 17-0 with plenty of fights going the distance

His record has guys with good/decent records especially in 10 fights. Not world class but not littered with a bunch of sub .500 punching bags.

I'd like to see him face a guy a step up from the Polish guy he just beat and see him win in a more "clean" manner, as in tighten the defense and be more disciplined with his movement and be more responsible defensively. He is a very crisp puncher but some times I get the impression that maybe hes not the best at putting his work together and that he feasts on guys that come to him. He looked very frustrated when the last guy wouldnt open up. Now yes a guy who wants to survive can be hard to look great against but a guy who doesnt open up much but is a good boxer can take the play away while finding their own offense and I feel like that can happen to Kelly

BaileyBlack likes this.
  14. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Drop him in the Ryan Garcia bucket IMO!

bandeedo and CST80 like this.
  15. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    He will become a legitimate contender. He is already slowly settling down(because he was getting hit too much).