Josh Taylor and 140 pound supremacy

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, May 23, 2021.

1. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Jesus ****ing H Christ! Have you ever even set foot in a boxing gym? They tend to be occupied by the hardest, meanest, no nonsense mofo's in the locality.

I've known a few hard men through my time in the pub reade and the hardest of the doorman/landlords were ex boxers or guys who practiced boxing to sharpen their self defence and fitness and in many instances they weren't pleasant.

Boxing is a get out of jail card for many of societies waifs and strays so you're obviously going to come across some pretty big egos tinged with more than a touch of outright arrogance. I'd pick going for a pint with one of them than some snowflake bitching and whining that some elite level boxer hurt their feelings.

Boxers are the very definition of Alpha males, not some soy latte drinking melt worried about what pronoun they need to address their opponent by.

kerrminator and gollumsluvslave like this.
  2. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Alpha males do not intimidate somebody who represents no threat to them like Taylor does. He wont speak that way to Crawford because Bud would paddle his ***** ass all the way back across the Atlantic.

3. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Like in other jobs people in gyms are different.
    Reasons why ppl are attending gyms too are different. Initial things might change with time, why someone continue to attend gym.
    Some love to fight and gym is good choice over the street, some does have intent to get achievements in sport, some are dreaming to earn a lot of money with boxing ( insert any combat sport here ).
    Why ppl continue, too does have different reasons.

4. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Lopez is still at 135, and according to Arum still has business there for a couple of fights.

Taylor IS Undisputed at 140lb, and MUST do heehaw, except whatever the heel he and his team decide comes next.

5. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    You do realize that peach of a left counter for the first knockdown against Ramirez was Taylor on the backfoot? And he was doing those pull counters all night. On the backfoot.

kerrminator, Tankatron and hoopsman like this.
  6. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Lopez is the most dangerous fighter Taylor has ever fought. The kid is levels above Ramirez and Prograis. Taylor has impressed and will be the toughest fight for TLO. It's a 5 star fight and will need to be made next. I beleive TLO will show the world why he is the best pnd for pnd fighter.Too fast, powerful and explosive.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    tinman likes this.
  7. hoopsman

hoopsman Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Excellent post.

Taylor has demonstrated that he is every bit as much of a "junkyard dog" as Lopez. In fact, one could reasonably argue that JT is more battle-tested than the dynamic Honduran-American.

Moreover, some posters are already assuming Teo will be the harder puncher in any prospective matchup.

Based on....what, exactly? Could Teo be an explosive puncher at 140lbs? Certainly, but there's no guarantee his power will translate as effectively at the higher weight.

Taylor, on the other hand, has hurt and dropped three top operators in the division. Consequently, as things stand now, Taylor's power has fewer question marks at 140lbs..

Tankatron and gollumsluvslave like this.
  8. hoopsman

hoopsman Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2005
    But Teo isn't arrogant??

He's hardly the shy, retiring type.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  9. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    I'm not really sure, yeah. Nakatani he was not able to drop, Loma too. Loma is less athletically gifted dude for 135 lbs division than Campbell and Linares, not alone Lopez.

Dose Lopez have enough power and sharpness to drop with ease 135 lbs division guys, not alone 140 lbs division boxers?

Ofc Lopez is young, he might become stronger and ofc improve as boxer, he is only 23?

10. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Taylor is far and away the best at 140-he proved it by unifying. He gas nothing to prove really. A move to WW would be interesting.

11. Zhuge Liang

Zhuge Liang Active Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2018
    I don't mind Taylor facing Teofimo. I have confident that Taylor can have good result against him.

But if I prefer him to fight Terence Crawford next. Why ? There is very few big name Crawford can face right now due to promotor group issue and it has been a while since Crawford fight. While there are many names Teofimo can fight (e.g. Davis, Haney, Garcia), all would make him more money than fighting Taylor.

12. OneShot

OneShot New Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2016
    He put Ramirez down fighting on the back foot. He also put him down fighting on the inside. Taylor can do it all.

13. OneShot

OneShot New Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2016
    What a bizarre way to try and claim the undisputed hasn't proven he's good enough.

Teofirmo will not be allowed near Taylor, even though it would be a decent fight. Taylor would win fairly comfortably, in my opinion.

The Bud fight is the one that makes sense for Taylor, when you become undisputed it then becomes about doing the next most difficult thing which is almost always beating the bigger guy.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  14. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Wtf is Mikey. That’s the true test at 140. 140 is the perfect weight class for Mikey and he’s the only p4p level fighter at that weight class.

15. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Crawford should beat Spence Jr, then he will be famous and earn a lot of $ for his next fights. Then he will have 3 belts in his division etc.