Josh Taylor = one of the greatest ever Brits

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TooBigTooStrong, May 22, 2021.

1. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Best thing is he has done it the proper way, no bull**** WWE soap opera, no politics, no a side b side bollocks just the best fights wanting to be the best.

It is still doable in this era but most fighters love to hide behind promoters and networks.

2. Sap1en

Sap1en Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2020
    Very intelligent post, AJ also has the questionable TRT exemption which can mar his legacy.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  3. Sap1en

Dec 1, 2020
    Poor quality post. Drug cheats are an embarrassment to the sport and should not be normalised.

4. Sap1en

Dec 1, 2020
    Very good post, he never had the sneaky tricks of promoters stacking it in his favour calling up fighters on 2-3 weeks notice.

5. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
  6. Fibbo

Fibbo Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Campbell Soup Hatton aiming for the reverse over his first 6 fights

Jurgen, Coybig, Wizbit1013 and 6 others like this.
  7. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    The thing with AJ is you don’t have to accuse him of “questionable” stuff, he will permanently have the Ruiz defeat and manner of it on the record.

With Canelo you’ve always got the GGG fights and the tainted beef.

With Fury you’ve got the “tainted beef” and if you want the pulling out of Klitschko rematch.

They’re all fantastic fighters but they’ve all got them marks if you like.

Josh Taylor at 18 fights in is unbelievable. He’s won the IBF vs Baranchyk, the WBA and WBC diamond against a top quality Prograis and then unified against another 2 belt holder in Ramirez. There’s been no drugs, no questionable results, no cherry picks just top fights and a mandatory out the way. Although he is a bit of a **** but I can look past that!

8. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Does being a sports fan exempt most of this forum from educating themselves on anti-doping policy and governance and exercising common sense? It's clear that most sports fans are not lovers of sport but are fanboys of characters and organisations, and simply can't be arsed reading literature and research and instead operate from a preconception. Your brain is filled full of mainstream media propaganda, whether conscious or subconscious.

For those who don't abstain from educating themselves and using common sense and choose not to live in a fairy tail cuckoo land, diminishing a boxer based on a failed drugs test is completely nonsensical.

I bet you were one of those clowns who thought Lance Armstrong was clean, because back in the day people like myself (who are actually Lance Armstrong fans) got shot down by people like yourself with the exact same sort of **** poor retorts.

Terminator likes this.
  9. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    What’s your point?

Are you saying we shouldn’t criticise fighters (or other sportsmen) for doping/cheating ?

Do we just accept it, not mention it and don’t call anyone out?

moog, UKboxingfan and Sap1en like this.
  10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Agree. Josh is a throwback to the fight anyone, anytime, anywhere warriors of the past, a professional boxer first and foremost rather than a businessman first boxer second.

11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He's the best Scot since Jim Watt at least.
    Possibly the best since Ken Buchanan.
    In a couple of years time he might be clearly above both.

12. Terminator

Terminator Active Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Every elite athlete is on gear and roided to the gills. Just the way it is in 2021

13. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I think we should allow at least 24 hours since the fight before any thread about Josh Taylor gets slightly derailed, he's done British boxing proud, let's honour that by just discussing him and his achievements.

BubblesUK, Gatekeeper and Fibbo like this.
  14. Fibbo

Fibbo Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Surely no boxing fan can be critical of Josh Taylor's pro career from fight 1 to 18 - simply sensational getting out of his comfort zone in nearly every fight taking unbeaten record by record.

15. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Phenomenal achievement by Josh Taylor, the most important thing now is that he gets the credit he deserves as he has made history.

The result for me was never in any doubt, Ramirez is not as tough as Baranchyk and no where near as slick and clever as Progreis so I had no doubt Josh would win and win well.

He still surprised me though, by delivering a brilliant performance and winning, very convincingly. His spite and aggression together with his boxing brain, power, and will to win make him one very special fighter. I was most impressed by how well he adjusted to Ramirez pressure, he always kept his composure, almost always picked the right shot, at the right time and landed the harder, more telling punches.

If it wasn't for the blatantly biased ref he would have stopped Ramirez too..

Personally I had Ramirez winning 3 rounds, max 4 at a push and that is not being harsh on him at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    TooBigTooStrong likes this.