Josh Taylor vs Jose Ramirez next Saturday

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, May 16, 2021.

1. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Oh look an undisputed fight o_O Maybe too painful for some.

Taylor by decision or late stoppage, between 9-12, I haven't decided yet, I'll nail down a prediction after the weigh in.

Regardless, Taylor wins.

Boon and gollumsluvslave like this.
  2. BigBone

BigBone Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Key for Taylor is taking the best Ramirez has to offer in the first three rounds without a buckle, adapt and run away with the rounds to a decision that may still hold a sour taste. If Ramirez can hurt Josh early and make it his fight, it's his to lose. I think we'll see a competitive 12-rounder either way w/o a KO, but it's been years I've last seen 10 fights in one season, so what do I know? I'm a mere Diamond Kirk Champion Old Gramps Emeritus, hold yo wives and daughters tho, you don't wanna find out the story behind my nick name.

3. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Taylor took everything that Prograis threw at him, and pretty sure Regis hits harder than Ramirez. But Prograis didn't work hard enough or work the body that much...

The big question for me in this fight is who is gonna win the "battle of the bodyshots". Ramirez route to victory for me is to try and work Josh on the inside, slow him down and make him tire. But with Taylor's stamina and great countering, that leaves Jose vulnerable to Taylor's own vicious body punching. This is why I think that (on paper at least) Taylor has the upper hand, as he should be able to outbox Ramirez on the outside, but if it get's in close he still has the tools to make it his fight as well.

4. BigBone

BigBone Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Good shout on body shots. Lets see who takes one better!

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  5. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    People are still obsessed with Ramirez losing to Postol while looking at this fight. :risas3:

Postol is a much more consistent fighter from range than Taylor is. He also has a better jab than Taylor. Teddy Atlas nailed it on his show. Postol just an entirely different matchup.

Taylor vs. Ramirez will be a close fight. Almost a pick em' fight. Everyone who thinks Taylor will dominate has no idea about both guys and is just full of hate for Ramirez for some reason. It is a bit similar to the Clenelo vs. Saunders fight where the hate towards Clenelo was taking over big time.

I'm going with a Split Decision here. Most likely for Ramirez. We're in Vegas...not in Glasgow or London. But i think Taylor will be probably the guy who deserves it more.

Great fight though. Really looking forward to Sunday Morning.

maac and gollumsluvslave like this.
  6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Shawn Porter who sparred a 7-0 Taylor said that even back then both he and his dad Kenneth Porter thought ''this kid is very eyebrow raising''

This content is protected

The Ring Magazine Fight Picks

TOM GRAY: TAYLOR UD
    “Taylor established himself as the finest 140-pounder in the world when he defeated Regis Prograis in October 2019. Ramirez is solid and a very good fighter but very good won’t be enough here. Taylor is special, and he’s superior in almost every department. A late stoppage wouldn’t be a surprise, but I think the Mexican-American’s pride and toughness will see him reach the finish line. I see Taylor thoroughly dominating this fight.”

ANSON WAINWRIGHT: TAYLOR UD
    “I feel Taylor is a more rounded fighter and will be a step ahead of Ramirez. I feel Taylor can box off the backfoot and also be aggressive when he needs to be. Ramirez tends to just be the aggressor. I think a firefight suits Ramirez, and then you can flip a coin. I just feel Taylor will pick his spots when to box and when to stand and trade. The Scottish fighter will win a comfortable unanimous decision, something like 8-4 in rounds. I wouldn’t rule out a late stoppage for him either.”

LEE GROVES: RAMIREZ PTS
    “As is the case in most fights, the outcome will be determined by which man forces his pace as well as his style of fighting. If Ramirez forces a slugging match, his superior work rate will help his cause but if Taylor slows things down and uses his lefty stance to stymie Ramirez’s jab, he will take a big step toward victory. I see Taylor doing well in the early rounds with Ramirez picking things up later. It will be an exciting, nip-and-tuck affair and while the cards may very well be divided, I believe Ramirez’s aggression and output will swing enough rounds his way.”

MICHAEL WOODS: RAMIREZ PTS
    “I believe there is an 85-percent chance that we get a whole bunch of give and take, ebb and flow. I sense the timing being right for a truly fan-friendly structured rumble. Two points maybe will separate these two end of night. Ramirez, a tad grittier, will be the busier man later. Will, not power or stamina, will prove the difference maker. By a slight margin, after a couple minor classic rounds, Jose has his hand raised.”

RON BORGES: RAMIREZ PTS
    “Although Josh Taylor is a heavy favorite to defeat Jose Ramirez, hold on a minute. Heavy favorite based on what? They both went the distance with Postol, and while some point out two of the undefeated Ramirez’s last three title defenses were won by majority decision, his critics forget to add that not a single judge voted against him. Four had him winning and two had draws. Ramirez is well trained by Robert Garcia, a proud guy with a shot to make history among Mexican fighters with a win. He is durable, can box and has the skills to outpoint and outhustle Taylor, which he will do by winning a tight decision.”

MARTY MULCAHEY: TAYLOR MD
    “I envision a close fight, with an intangible like Taylor having boxed the better level of opposition and superior timing making the difference. While Ramirez owns size, reach, and age advantages, I don’t see him overcoming Taylor’s versatility and jab which pushes foes in directions Taylor dictates. In my opinion Ramirez has overachieved to date, so it is hard to bet against his determined mindset. Taylor’s eye-catching combinations and greater accuracy should give him the slightest of nods from the judges. I will go with a majority decision for Taylor via 115-113 against 114-114 range.”

MICHAEL MONTERO: TAYLOR PTS
    “This is the very definition of a ‘pick em’ fight; I can honestly see it going either way. Inactivity could play a factor. Both men fought once in 2020, but Ramirez fough 12 hard rounds with Viktor Postol, while Taylor needed less than a round to get rid of his IBF mandatory opponent. In the end, I just think Taylor has an extra degree that will help him edge this one out. Gimme Taylor points, 115-113.”

NORM FRAUENHEIM: TAYLOR UD
    “Two fighters, both in their prime, in a fight for all of the pieces of the junior welterweight title. What’s not to like? The safest pick is Fight of the Year. In the end however, the edge goes to Taylor, who has more in his skillset than Jose Ramirez has. Ramirez’ toughness, his dogged durability, means he’ll be there for 12 rounds. But it also means he’ll be there as a target for Taylor’s precise, often explosive punches until the punishing end of a decisive victory for the Scot.”

BOXING INSIDERS

Ramirez (right) nails Antonio Orozco. Photo by Mikey Williams/ Top Rank

STEVE FARHOOD (TV ANALYST): TAYLOR PTS
    “Great matchup. Both of these two are proven at the highest level, and this figures to be worthy of a fight that will crown a four-belt champion. Once again, Ramirez’s style will require constant aggression. My guess is that Taylor has ample opportunities to counter, score, and win rounds. Taylor by close decision in an action fight.”

DUKE MCKENZIE (FORMER THREE-DIVISION TITLEHOLDER/TV ANALYST): RAMIREZ MD
    “It’s not often we see a unified match up where both champions are at the top of their game. Both Taylor and Ramirez are on a mission to be No. 1. Taylor is arguably the better boxer, very tidy, fit, strong and won’t back up in this fight. We know both are combative and pugnacious. I feel Ramirez is better at in-fighting, as neither boxer will take a backwards step. I lean towards Ramirez, who has a relentless mean streak in his work. He hooks savagely to head and body and is a good finisher. Ramirez wins a majority decision.”

RAUL MARQUEZ (FORMER WORLD CHAMPION/COMMENTATOR): TAYLOR PTS
    “I feel Taylor has more dimensions to his game and is crispier with his shots. Ramirez is a warrior will be coming forward all night long. Taylor can’t be drawn into a war. I’m going with Taylor by decision.”

VIKTOR POSTOL (FORMER WBC JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHT TITLEHOLDER): TAYLOR PTS
    “If Ramirez can’t catch Taylor with good punch, I’d go with Taylor. Taylor can box different ways; he is more versatile and can adapt to many styles. I think Taylor wins it on points.”

ALEX STEEDMAN (COMMENTATOR): TAYLOR PTS
    “Ramirez always brings it and Taylor is a class act. You have to feel that Ramirez will require more than he has shown so far to win but he will ask questions. Can the pace, intensity and reach of Ramirez cause enough problems? I don’t think so but a close fight could unfold. Ultimately, I see Taylor’s technique and variety being the difference on the cards.”

KATHY DUVA (PROMOTER, MAIN EVENTS): RAMIREZ PTS
    “This is truly a pick ’em fight, and I am interested to see it. In the end, though, I have to give the edge to Ramirez. I don’t think that Taylor is likely to stop him, so I expect that Ramirez is more likely to win a decision given his hometown advantage.”

JOLENE MIZZONE (MATCHMAKER, MAIN EVENTS): TAYLOR UD
    “I am going to go with Taylor on this one, based off of his southpaw stance. The last time Ramirez fought a southpaw was against Zepeda, which was a close fight. I am giving the edge to Taylor in this one by unanimous decision.”

ROBERT DIAZ (MATCHMAKER, GOLDEN BOY): RAMIREZ UD
    “Very even and very close fight. I see both having their moments and rounds going back and forth. I usually favor the boxer over the more aggressive fighter, but in this case I must favor the one that has the more experience and the one that has had the tougher fights. I see a unanimous decision for Jose Ramirez in a very close and entertaining fight.”

REGIS PROGRAIS (FORMER JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHT TITLEHOLDER): TAYLOR SD
    “I think Taylor should be able to outbox him, keep the southpaw jab in his face all night, then he can hit him with some big shots. Ramirez has had trouble with boxers. He wants to get on the inside, bang the body, but if Josh tries to keep him on the outside, he should win. I think it will definitely be a close fight. I see a split decision for Taylor.”

CAMERON DUNKIN (PROMOTER, D&D BOXING): RAMIREZ TKO
    “I like Ramirez, I think he has a shot at stopping Taylor late. I think Ramirez is going to be tremendous shape, he’s not going to stop punching, he’s going to push Taylor. It’s going to be a firefight and I think Ramirez stops him late.”

BRANDUN LEE (JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHT CONTENDER): TAYLOR PTS
    “It’s going to be a good fight. [I like] Josh Taylor by decision. He’s faster, a southpaw, better skills, light on his feet, and the better boxer overall.”

RICKY HATTON (FORMER WORLD CHAMPION/ TRAINER): TAYLOR PTS
    “A good fight, two unbeaten champions, neither knows what it’s like to lose and an unbeaten fighter is a dangerous fighter. It’s a big unification and should be a cracker. It’s hard to go against Josh Taylor. He’s in form and at the top of his game, having fought at the higher level, so I’m going with Josh on points.”

Final Tally: Taylor 13-7

https://www.ringtv.com/621928-fight-picks-josh-taylor-jose-ramirez/

CST80 likes this.
  7. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    WHO’S THE MAN? VIKTOR POSTOL PREDICTS JOSH TAYLOR-JOSE RAMIREZ OUTCOME

Former junior welterweight titleholder Viktor Postol will be an interested observer when Ring, IBF and WBA titleholder Josh Taylor faces WBC and WBO counterpart Jose Ramirez in their eagerly anticipated undisputed championship bout this Saturday in Las Vegas.

Postol, who is rated No. 4 by The Ring at 140 pounds, has fought both men. He 37-year-old Ukrainian gave Taylor a stern test but lost a 12-round unanimous decision in June 2018, and he pushed Ramirez hard before dropping a 12-round majority decision in August 2020.

The savvy technician is therefore well placed to assess the attributes of both fighters.

“It will be interesting fight to watch for every fan because the undisputed status is on the line,” Postol told The Ring through Oleg Ladik of Elite Boxing Promotions. “I’m eager to find out who gets the win.”

The ex-titleholder feels that Taylor’s versatility could be key for the Scotsman.

“Taylor’s keys would be his ability to box different ways – he can do that inside and outside,” said Postol, who hopes to return to action in the coming months. “He can be southpaw and then switch to orthodox. He can do things differently, always switching.”

Josh Taylor (right) lands a right hook against Viktor Postol during their hotly contested WBC title-elimination bout on June 23, 2018. Photo by Shabba Shafiq

Postol feels that the all-out aggression of Ramirez, who, like Taylor, was a 2012 Olympian, could tip things in his favor. “Ramirez is good at always pressuring his opponents, he can rely on his power,” the former titleholder explained. “Taylor should be aware not of Ramirez’s constant pressure but of the power in his hands. If Ramirez catches Josh, he wouldn’t miss his chance.”

The skilled veteran also reiterated the danger Taylor presents when he switches from smart boxing to attack mode. “As I’ve already said, Taylor can box different ways; he is more versatile and can adapt to many styles,” Postol said. “He can go forward on Ramirez and beat him up in his yard as he also hits very hard.”

Postol broke down each fighter in 10 key categories:

JAB
    Ramirez: His jab caught me more and I couldn’t avoid it.

DEFENSE
    Ramirez: Ramirez has better defense. I couldn’t catch him with [a] good punch, while I delivered many more shots on Taylor.

HANDSPEED
    It seemed to me they both have very good speed, so I can’t pick one.

FOOTWORK
    Taylor: Taylor with no doubt. Taylor’s footwork is more advanced. It’s not as predictable as Ramirez. Jose chases you and doesn’t always cut the angles.

SMARTEST
    Taylor: Taylor is not a straightforward fighter like Ramirez. Once you’ve adapted to his style and stance, he switches to another stance or position. If he sees he is not good at orthodox stance, he switches to southpaw. He tries to confuse you. It’s always difficult for a fighter to adapt to [someone with] different styles compared to the more strict Ramirez, who we always know will come forward.

STRONGEST
    Taylor: Ramirez is very strong, but once you adapt to a fighter, your game plan is concentrated on avoiding damage and delivering problems he wouldn’t expect. I want to say that “strongest” to Taylor means he is a more advanced fighter than Ramirez. He is strong in almost every aspect, while Ramirez can just go forward on you, wants to crush you, and it doesn’t puzzle you. Taylor’s stamina is better, he doesn’t take big pauses, he isn’t gassing out towards the end of the fight.

POWER
    Ramirez: Ramirez is a hard-hitter. I felt every power punch he delivered. This is what Taylor should be aware of.

CHIN
    Ramirez: I saw Taylor is not comfortable with taking my punches, while Ramirez didn’t seem to lose focus when he took my blows.

SKILLS
    Taylor: As I’ve said, he is a more diverse, versatile fighter. He uses tricks and can confuse you. He fights smart.

OVERALL
    Taylor: Each is good at his own field. It’s hard to tell who is the better of the two, they are just different. I would give the slight edge to Taylor.

https://www.ringtv.com/621831-whos-the-man-viktor-postol-predicts-josh-taylor-jose-ramirez-outcome/

CST80 likes this.
  8. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Wow!

Like I'm really surprised :lol:

This content is protected

CST80 likes this.
  9. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    You’re right, Postol is much more consistent from long range than Taylor is, and he also has a better jab. True. But Taylor is quicker around the ring than Postol—far more mobile—and his offense is tendfold more dynamic, too.

10. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ramirez all the way

11. TooBigTooStrong

TooBigTooStrong Member banned Full Member

May 10, 2021
    You were wrong my friend