Josh Taylor vs Ricky Hatton - who'd win in their primes at 140?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Deep Sea Diver, Mar 14, 2021.

Josh Taylor vs Ricky Hatton - who'd win in their primes at 140?

1. Taylor

71.4%
  2. Hatton

28.6%
  1. Deep Sea Diver

Deep Sea Diver New Member banned Full Member

Mar 8, 2021
  2. Deep Sea Diver

Deep Sea Diver New Member banned Full Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Thinking about it on overall performances at light welter I think Taylors better chin would be the difference in the last quarter of the fight. Taylor late stoppage. ( or close points win)

However if you were to just go on Hattons performance against Tszyu, on that performance you wouldn't bet against him versus anyone.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Somali Sanil likes this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    With a fair referee Taylor would beat Hatton on points at 140.

Tszyu was a great night but Hatton was losing that fight even with a terrible ref. Had Tszyu not been out for so long, think he only had a few rounds in 2 years, he could have seen that fight out. Prime Tszyu beats Hatton.

Prime Tszyu v Taylor? That would be a classic.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  4. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    As time goes on I'm starting to lean towards Taylor. However let's wait til the end of Josh's career to make comparisons.

channy, Momus, Holler and 4 others like this.
  5. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Hattons chin problems were weight related, you can see he was weak and weight drained the more his career went on, getting wobbled in every fight nearly and struggling to last the course. Prime his chin was not a problem, now if you said cuts and bruising, then that was a huge problem

6. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Taylor would come out on top against any version of Hatton. Don't get me wrong, Hatton had a great career and has a lot to be proud of, Taylor is just on a level that very few reach.

Holler, Scissors, Mitch87 and 3 others like this.
  7. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
  8. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wow what a fight it would have been. Tbe battle of the body punchers. I just think Josh superior outside work and footwork would have have him the edge.

Holler, EJC83 and im sparticus like this.
  9. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Great fight

Accurate, DJN16 and im sparticus like this.
  10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The only way Hatton has a shout against Taylor is if he lived the life of a pro boxer and maximised his potential - we probably only saw 70% of Hatton's potential at his peak in the ring due to his out of ring lifestyle.

Based on careers inside the ring - Taylor is the man to beat.

Holler, LoadedGlove and EJC83 like this.
  11. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    The Hitman all day long for me. Ricky was s buzzsaw in his prime. As already said, let’s watch Josh’s career play out.

12. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020

13. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Lol give Hatton credit it where it's due....

Yeah it wasn't absolute peak Tszyu but he was still a world class formidable opponent.... undefeated for 8 years, was a huge favourite, had fought 6 months prior knocking out Mitchell and was only 3 and a half years removed from knocking Judah out in 2 rounds.

Accurate likes this.
  14. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I reckon Taylor would have too much hand speed and variety for Ricky. Hatton had very fast feet at his very best. He could close distance in no time. I think Taylor has the has the nous and speed to get off to the side when Hatton charges.
    Josh doesn't hit hard enough to bang tough little Ricky out but inflicts a painful one sider on him.

Holler likes this.
  15. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Would take hatton all day long. His engine was unbelievable back in the day.

Was almost impossible to keep him off unless you we,re elite or there abouts. In hattons younger days anyway.

Always felt taylor was slightly overrated although nearly every single trainer in britain vouches for how good he is...

I,d still take hatton tho.

Think hes sctually underrated nowadays...people have forgot about his early career...just think about the latter run when judging him. But coming through there was a reason why he had so many fans.

channy, Greg Price99 and Somali Sanil like this.