Joshua’s team put together five-man shortlist of potential replacement of Miller

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Big Ukrainian, Apr 17, 2019.

1. MeatFeastMan

MeatFeastMan Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2018
    They will get hammered by the media and fans if they don't choose from Ortiz, Pulev or Whyte. Anyone other than that shouldn't be considered.

My feeling is that it will be Whyte. It's the least risky option, and I'll tell you why. Just like in the Pulev camp, he trained for Pulev, but then he pulled out and he ended up fighting Takam. Because he wasn't really prepared for that, Takam caused one or two problems early on. AJ largely dominated though.

He's fought Whyte before, so he knows what he's facing. That makes it the safest option of the 3. If he fights Ortiz or Pulev without a camp preparing for them, that could cause serious problems for AJ. Those issues early on that Takam posed for AJ would be amplified by much better opponents in Ortiz/Pulev. Especially Pulev, because AJ has been preparing for a much smaller, bulky opponent in Miller.

Whatever his choice it's risky now. No easy touches, otherwise he'll get slaughtered by fans.

2. red_roo

red_roo Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    True
    Lot's of money's has been spent on this bout so far . Miller could pass da next test for all we know , but U probably right .

Serge likes this.
  3. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    If Usyk hadn't ''called Bellew's name'' and moved up to HW last year instead best believe Usyk would've been on that shortlist and would've taken that fight

So AJ owes a huge debt of gratitude to Bellew there for delaying the inevitable loss of his belts to the Usyk God.

This content is protected

red_roo likes this.
  4. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I believe Miller's B sample will contain even more juice than his A sample does

red_roo and Glenn McKrory like this.
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'd like Konwacki, Ortiz or Hunter
    In fact I'd like to Hunter just as much as Ortiz

6. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    That was different, it wasn't a voluntary, it was an IBF mandatory and their rules say if the mandatory pulls out to fulfill the mandatory obligation the next highest ranked fighter has to be fought, so unless Joshua and Hearn wanted to waste another voluntary vs some last minute nobody they'd have to fight Takam. Hearn knowing this ensured Takam was ready by putting him on one of his other cards.

Miller isn't an IBF mandatory this was a voluntary so there wasn't the required need to face a certain fighter if Miller pulled out for any reason and so no contingency is in place like with Joshua/Pulev.

7. MarcelCerdan13

MarcelCerdan13 Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2017
    80 percent of this list is great. He’ll brutalize Kownacki but he’s unbeaten and I can understand on short notice. Pulev and Ortiz could both give him some trouble and an entertaining fight but he’ll get through them. Hunter on the other hand- what a fight. I have a feeling that if he gets picked it’ll be Joshua’s most difficult fight to date. Hunter has, by a decent margin, the highest chance of pulling the upset.
    And then we have Charr. I’m expecting it to be Charr, because things often work out like that and I don’t want to be disappointed. It’s a stupid, horrible, pointless contest where upon being knocked out in the first round Charr’s WBA ranking will drop to like #2 and it’ll make everyone more upset than they already were.

8. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I'd be happy with Ortiz.

9. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Thank you for the education.

10. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    First, Miller is a ****in moron. (This comes from someone who was a supporter).

Second: it's April and the fight is in June, don't think Pulev's cut will be properly healed.
    I don't think he'd select a southpaw (Ortiz) on this type of notice. I doubt his team would want that.
    I can see Kownacki or Charr being the go to guy

11. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I can't believe all this hype around Hunter... it is unreal.

Mr Icaman likes this.
  12. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    americans are desperate for that real heavyweight champion, wilder doesn't count.

Mr Icaman and Aydamn like this.
  13. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Hunter was being rocked by Bakole toward the end of that fight before Bakole injured his shoulder. To too it off it was a 10 round fight. Hunter gets stopped by the 8th round if he faces AJ.

14. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Won’t be pulev because of the cut, won’t be charr as Eddie would be crucified and he knows it. I think he’ll get Ortiz, it’s short notice and he’s too old to give anyone a serious problem. He might look dangerous early but AJ KOs him easily.

I like Hunter but come on, he’s not gonna trouble AJ.

15. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    How the hell is Hughie Fury not ranked?