Joshua did not 'win' an Olympic Gold

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ArseBandit, Feb 23, 2020.

1. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Some of us watch the AMs. We watched him being gifted his medal at home in London.

His Olympic gold 'win' is about as legitimate at Park Si-Hun's. Home town corruption at it's finest.

Stop putting so much stock into it, he didn't deserve it. The Savon fight (1st round) wasn't even close, and Cammarelle beat him too.

Joshua has achieved a fair bit, but anywhere but London, he was knocked out in the 1st Olympic round.

2. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Mihai Nistor was a red flag, will give you that.

3. lordlosh

lordlosh Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    I like Joshua, and that can be seen from my posts, and that being said i always said that Joshua was gifted with that Gold Medal, and was gifted big time.
    He clearly lost 2 fights at that Olympics. It was home town gift and i don`t see a reason to not admit this, whether you are Joshua fan or not.

4. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
  5. The Clan

The Clan Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Lol at this thread

6. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Agreed. He didnt deserve it.

Dario Argento and Perkin Warbeck like this.
  7. Baneofthegame

Baneofthegame Active Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Thank god you have enlightened us about something we all knew 7 years ago anyway.

h8me and George Crowcroft like this.
  8. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    People on here bring up his Olympic Gold regularly. Adding it in some threads to why he'd boost Fury's resume so much today.

You might have known it, I knew it, but it was 7 years ago and not everyone does.

9. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Scoring at many recent OIympics and indeed in lot of pro championship bouts has been 'debatable' at best.

Does that change the outcome for the eventual winner, no, same way that if rules enforced correctly Firpo would have beat Dempsey, our sport is littered with poor, bad or often down right stinking decisions, but the result still stands no matter how much debate is had or internet words are typed.

Joshua won the gold, that is not going to change, it is recorded indelibly in the annals of Olympic history.

10. deyell

deyell MOLECULE FROM HELL. Full Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Nistor was robbed in Rio because they wanted to make sure Tony Yoka avoids him.

11. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    He lost to Savon but I think a decent case can be made for him beating Cammarelle. So no he shouldn't be an Olympic medalist but he's hardly Tony Yoka who needed multiple complete gifts to get his medal.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  12. lefthook82

lefthook82 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2009
    I was in the Excel Arena for that Savon fight. He defo lost imo but it wont have been the first gift nor the last

13. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    He benefited from robberies in the Olympics; that's common knowledge. He also got destroyed by Whyte in the amateurs, with headgear.

None of that changes that he also was a very good amateur boxer and has developed into the second best professional of his era.

Tyson Fury himself spoke very highly of him three years before Joshua even turned pro, and has continued to hold a high opinion:
    This content is protected

14. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Whoever tuned in for the Olympics back then knows he was blatantly gifted.

15. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    If that double entendre was intentional, this is a BRILLIANT post..

Scar likes this.