Joshua Miller Tactics

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by emallini, Apr 5, 2019.

1. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    What does each man have to do in order to come out victorious ?

305th likes this.
  2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    If joshua boxes miller hasn't for a chance.

Power_tek and Scissors like this.
  3. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Joshua has to remain disciplined, no lapses in concentration and his ability should do the rest.

Miller will have to apply educated pressure and show a good set of whiskers.

Power_tek, Smudge_ and emallini like this.
  4. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Miller is terrible. But all he needs to do is land on that glass jaw and it’s game over. All big iosh has to do us stay out of the slow, flat footed, fat fckers way and he’ll probably punch his fat ass out of gas in four.

But miller can really talk trash so it’s a true 50:50, one for the ages

5. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    AJ ends the fight when he so desires.

As simple as this.

305th likes this.
  6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Miller has to be able to absorb AJ's power,because he hasn't a good defence,if he can do that ,he might come on if AJ gasses down the stretch.Joshua has options, he can box behind the jab, putting his foot on the pedal once he has softened up his chunky opponent,or he can come out bombing knowing he has the superior power and trying to get Millers respect early making him reluctant to keep charging forward.
    If the former it could be a rather messy brawl with Miller clinching inside and seeking to whale away at AJ's body.
    If Joshua succeeds in landing something big on Miller early it might develop into a Lewis v Tua type of fight with Miller losing quickly his ambition and just seeking to survive.
    The key for me is how Miller handles Joshua's power?

Holler and emallini like this.
  7. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I think the key punch for AJ will be the uppercut. The way Miller marauds forward with his forearms covering his face will leave him wide open for that punch that did for Whyte and started the ball rolling with Klitschko. AJ's jab and straight punches should also pierce Millers guard without too much trouble and will likely start busting Millers face up in the second quarter of the fight.

I think for Miller to stand any real chance, he needs to invest heavily in AJ's body and if possible, make him miss and lunge forward so he can catch him with counters and then fire off combos to back AJ up and spoil his attacks.

Should AJ remain emotionally detached and sticks to the game plan, I don't see Miller seeing past round 6. If however, Miller gets AJ fighting more his fight, I can see this being a tough night for AJ as he'll definitely get clipped, likely on numerous occasions and Miller has proved unstoppable when front running.

DJN16, Holler and emallini like this.
  8. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Miller has to have a high work rate but it needs to have some thought behind it. He can't afford to take too many bombs on the way in He's shown a good chin so far but he hasn't been hit by a guy who punches as well as AJ and who can put a combination of power shows together accurately.

Once inside it's should be Millers fight to a point and even wrestling and jockeying with Aj should give him an edge. If Miller can force a sustained pace then it could be a long hard night for Joshua.

I see Joshua needing to keep this at range to have a good chance of victory. A good jab a straight right and then if he can make Miller rush to get inside he can step to one side and blast the uppercut in. If AJ's power accuracy allow him to dictate he wins.

I can see Miller trying to build up a head of steam early to try and run AJ over, that may or may not work but if Miller can't adjust if AJ handles the pressure its Joshua's fight to loose

Although Miller is derided on here for me this is a styles make fight match up. A huge pressure fighter, with a good chin, Vs a guy with power and ability but possible stamina and chin issues.

Tactic and corner work could be huge in this

DJN16, Holler and emallini like this.
  9. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I think you are underestimating Joshua. He is very good on the inside and that is Miller's only hope really. Joshua is far too good for this guy and will take him out whenever he wants.

Power_tek likes this.
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It's going to be target practice for Joshua.
    Expect to see some of his best work here. Miller is made for him.
    Joshua's finishing combos against Povetkin were sheer brilliance - but he should top that with this guy.
    The only thing Joshua needs to remember to do is to use his feet a bit, retreat when necessary to get the range. The rest is just fun. The combinations will pour out of him.
    Miller won't take much.

Miller's only hope is to crowd Joshua early and somehow turn it into a Sumo wrestling match or something. But Joshua is way too athletic to give him that hope, surely.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Power_tek, 305th and Scissors like this.
  11. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Joshua just needs to be disciplined, that really is all there is to it. Miller is a fried chicken eating tub of s**t, he can bang though so his only hope is that Joshua gets sucked into everything and gets wild, personally I can't see that happening.

I don't understand where Joshua's alleged glass chin comes from, put down once in his pro career and all of a sudden he's got a glass chin, the lad is tough, you don't have to like him to see that.

12. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Just turn up.

That's the only tactic required for Joshua to win.

Oreet Cha!, 305th, Jamzy ⭐ and 2 others like this.
  13. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    The only thing I do fear is an inconclusive finish to the fight. I don't want to hear 'that was a poor referee stoppage' or 'Miller out worked AJ with his shoe shine punches to win that round'. AJ needs to put Miller down and hard to send a clear and precise message to the 2 other delusional gobshites near the top of the division.

I want to hear Miller express a degree of respect finally, once AJ puts him to the sword. It should be and needs to be conclusive, especially being in front of a predominantly American audience. They need to be shown what the real Unified Heavyweight Champion is all about, not some delusional, risk averse, contradictory bottle job in Wilder or the holder of the magical, mythical, never before seen Lineal belt, Tyson ' I'm fighting Tom Shart next, woowooowoooooo ' Fury.

zulander, Power_tek and S.K like this.
  14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Tony Dosh PPV can only beat himself and Miller simply has to come out throwing bombs to land on chinny.

Forget 12 rounds - Miller needs to throw the kitchen sink at him for 3 rounds and open up Windmill Wilder style if he lands anything.

15. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    2 of the top 3 have fought each other. They stepped up and put a top fight on. The other one was too busy making what was in retrospect low ball offers to Wilder and ended up fighting Povetkin & now Miller. Just saying like.

Back on topic, Joshua is just way too good for this lad. There’s levels and he’s going to do a Lewis v Briggs kind of beat down on Miller imo. Joshua has got to land the bombs straight away and get him out early. I think he’ll stop Miller marching forward quite quickly and really punish him with straight right hands and uppercuts for fun.

For Miller to have a chance, he’s going to have to have a serious chin on him & sustain a load of punishment. He’s going to have to hope Joshua empties the gas tank and he needs to lean all 23 stone on AJ, making his muscles cry out for oxygen & try and land a big shot. Can’t see this happening though.

Glenn McKrory likes this.