Joshua: Passion...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Aug 6, 2019.

1. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    PS I think AJ will win the rematch, he will be very very determined in camp and will follow it through to the T. He will look into a lot of things that went wrong and look to improve them. Fear and embarrassment of the last fight will drive him in this fight and I think he wil be very well prepared and mentally very sharp.

2. Fhaggis

Fhaggis Active Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Do you honestly think anything went wrong in the camp? I think he was just found out and quit. He can’t handle any fighter putting pressure on him and his chin is dodgy. Exact reason the ref wouldn’t let Parker actually fight him.
    He’s a big strong handsome bugger, but ain’t a very good boxer and has not much fire in him.
    If and when Ruiz puts it on him again I don’t know what AJ can actually do different and I can see him crumbling again.

Getting rid of all his hanger ons will be a big start but...

Oneirokritis and Glenn McKrory like this.
  3. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    The reason imo that his dad kicked off with Hearn is because A.J was k.od in sparin the week before.. that is a fact, his dad having a go at Hearn is an assumption from me.
    He was k.od and any parent would have concerns about their son getting in the ring so soon after.

4. Fhaggis

Oct 12, 2016
    How is it a fact he got KO’D? Also who the duck spares the week before a fight?

5. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Err, just about every fighter getting ready. unless they are really struggling with the weight.

lencoreastside likes this.
  6. Fhaggis

Oct 12, 2016
    No they don’t. The last week is about winding down, def not about having wars in sparring. Though with ages chin it was probably body sparring

7. Gymbot

Gymbot Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Reading between the lines, I think he struggled to motivate himself for Ruiz in the first fight after being let down by Miller. Maybe it was a simple case of overlooking his opponent and being distracted by all the Wilder/Fury talk. Surrounding himself with groupies, yes men and hangers on can't be helping either.

8. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    When I said the week before, I was referring to 12 to 7 days before fight night. If the fight was on Saturday the 14th then the week before would be any day from the Mon 2nd to sat 7th thats what I meant in the week before, I didn't mean in the final 7 days. Maybe you read it wrong or I didn't interpret it correctly. Anyway that's the days I'm speaking of and in them days fighters do spar unless they are having weight cutting issues.

9. YearZero

YearZero Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Trains an order of magnitude harder than any heavyweight out there, maintains a strict diet of roids and god knows what else and yet now we're to believe he has no passion for the sport? I think his only crime is being a bit too honest about his feelings, no one really likes getting punched into a pulp - if you honestly don't feel that way you haven't been hit hard enough!

10. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    He needs to tell himself a reason for losing other than he was not good enough. This is normal for huge ego athletes who suffer a big defeat.

Oneirokritis and 305th like this.
  11. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I have watched boxing for nearly 40 years and while watching the ring walk and preflight announcements live of the AJ/Ruiz fight, I had an uneasy feeling that Joshua was far from ready to fight and there was going to be a dramatic and unexpected outcome to the fight.

I didn't necessarily envisage Joshua getting battered to defeat but, maybe the feigning of an injury early doors or something unusual. Joshua's whole demeanour was off that night.

The likelihood of the same ill preparation, whether physical or mental is unlikely for the rematch but, if Ruiz starts making it tough very early, which is highly likely, Joshua is going to have to show us something we have rarely seen and that's stoic resistance in the face of extreme adversity.

He's going to have to go in with multiple game plans and adjust on the fly. Be more defensively cute and use intelligent aggression and break Ruiz down over a number of rounds. All that needs passion and a 'You ain't beating me tonight mutha effer!' attitude.

12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    *Jamie Conlan

Smudge_ and stittyb like this.
  13. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Just curious what your source is Sparticus? Is it common knowledge behind the scenes?

14. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Y'all musta forgot his old man going mental on Hearn in the middle of the ring, on live tv in front of millions. Been a good job done on downplaying that. It's quite a rare occurrence.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  15. Citizen Smith

Citizen Smith Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2019
    There was some chat about Joey Dawejko chinning him in sparring. It could have been something or nothing but he was in camp and they tweeted a couple pics, then Joey was strangely quiet about it, stating "Even if anything happened I would not say as it's against the boxers code".

And then Joey surprisingly got offered the fight for Usyk's heavyweight debut (before Usyk's injury) and had to try to explain it as being already offered to him prior to the AJ sparring rumours - which might have been true, however Eddie being Eddie, he does love to announce things and there wasn't a word about it till after the AJ defeat and the sparring rumblings. So the conspiracy theorists were straight onto it and calling it a payoff for keeping schtum. It was all a bit odd I must say.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    tdf1974 likes this.