Joshua vs Miller June 1st MSG

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Feb 1, 2019.

1. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    How many you reckon he'll take to the states for it?

2. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Quite a lot. You don't end up selling three 1m+ PPV's and 320k tickets in four fights by not being popular.

3. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Bet 365 aren't impressed with this fight. Here's their latest facebook post:

The biggest name on Jarrell Miller’s CV is Tomasz Adamek, the 31st ranked heavyweight on BoxRec.

In his last bout, he fought Bogdan Dinu who's ranked 56th.

He will now step into the ring with Anthony Joshua for the WBA, WBO, IBO and IBF world heavyweight titles.

Anthony Joshua:

- Beats Klitschko - calls out 28 stone Fury - still yet to fight him.
    - Says he will fight Wilder for $50m - Wilder offers $50m - still yet to fight him.
    - Says he will fight Whyte if Fury and Wilder aren't available - agrees deal to fight Miller.

305th likes this.
  4. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Interesting that they're using Boxrec rankings to suggest Miller isn't up to much.

Boxrec of course rank Joshua as the best heavyweight in the world, and show that he's knocked out the fourth best, fifth best and is now fighting the sixth best.

S.K and mcvey like this.
  5. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes, interesting.

mcvey likes this.
  6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I really hope Joshua smashes the crap outta Miller
    Guys a worthless piece of trash
    WWE beckons afterwards

7. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    He might get stiffed by the cards, of course that’s a real possibility for obvious reasons. However, I maintain that this will not be a walk in the park for AJ..I’m expecting Miller to turn this into a gutter dog fight.

We can come back to this on June 2nd, but as I said, an upset win would not be a surprise to me.

305th likes this.
  8. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    The hope for an interesting fight here lays in the possibility that Miller has a granite chin and AJ empties the tank trying to get rid of him. I'm sure AJ will be looking for a sensational debut on American soil. If that doesn't come, we'll have ourselves a fight. However, I expect goldenballs to get rid of Miller.

S.K, mcvey and 305th like this.
  9. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    He's not going to want an early blowout even if he can as the cynical American sportswriters will just say Miller was a can. On the other hand he's not going want to go to scorecards either. I'd be surprised at anything other than your classic 6-9th round stoppage with almost certainly a dropped Miller before hand. He's too big a target, literally. Ticks all the boxes.

10. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    It was interesting listening to Bunce on the podcast talking about the fans at MSG. If you don’t entertain you’ll get booed. I don’t think Joshua is going to mess about here, he is superior in every department compared to Miller. Miller has 23 stone of timber & a big mouth. I expect Joshua to put on a display reminiscent of Lewis vs Briggs. Miller is not a concussive single puncher so Joshua will let his hands go in this one. In terms of selling himself to a new market, I think Miller will make him look really really good.

velagod, Scissors, TonyHayers and 3 others like this.
  11. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Tickets are priced, $106, $156, $206, $306, $406, $506, $756, $1,006, $1,256 and $2,506 plus applicable booking fees.

12. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    That's perfectly fair; just pointing out the inherent hypocrisy of saying 'this bloke must be pretty bad because he's only beaten fighters ranked here,' when the self-same ranking system says he's the sixth best in the world. If the comments relating to Joshua being protected and only fighting old nobodies, you have to consider that, if he beats Miller, the same rankings will show him to have beaten those ranked 4, 5, 6, 9 and 11. Wilder by contrast has beaten 8 and nobody else in the top 25. Fury has beaten 13 and 18.

My point all along with Miller is that he isn't that good, but in terms of fighters outside the top three who are available and yet to be beaten by Joshua, he's not exactly out of the picture. Is he any obviously less worthy of a shot than say, Zeljko Mavrovic was back when he fought Lewis?

Unforgiven likes this.
  13. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I heard that.

The comments about the crowd were interesting. I remember the Klitschko Ibragimov fight and how boring that was. Bunce made several references to that and I remember the suggestions afterward that a high profile unification as boring as that did a pretty serious amount of damage to heavyweight boxing in America. European fighters were portrayed as dull, robotic, safety first types, and they delivered exactly that. Wlad didn't fight again in America for another seven years.

But, Klitschko fought effectively. He dominated the fight, and pretty much every round was his. The question which this obviously leads to is do you think Fury dominating Wilder in a similar way would bring a similar reaction, or are fans more accepting these days of defensive, low risk, hit and don't get hit heavyweights?

14. Jojojojo

Jojojojo Member banned Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    By 2021 we are talking about AJ as an ATG fact

Don't see why people are so sour about a tickover fight.

15. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Given the current circumstances it is a logical fight. Had Ed not came out with all the rubbish for the last 2 months, I think this fight would have been taken better.

Seen AJ getting a fair amount of stick on this one.

Wizbit1013 likes this.