Joshua vs Parker

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Octolony shore, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Daydorail

Daydorail Member Full Member

Aug 14, 2015
    For me that's a massive LAY (JOSHUA) scenario.
    The fact Takam and a 41 year old Wlad gave him hell is a worry and at them sort of odds ill be on parker

pow likes this.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    What's to suggest he's going to sleep though ?

Fair enough, his chin isn't a proven thing. It's not proven to be good but it's not proven to be bad either.
    But what evidence is there that Joshua has otherwordly power to automatically say he puts Parker to sleep as your default prediction ?

Klitschko was OLD and relatively WEAK-CHINNED .. yet lasted into round 11 and was still on his feet after Joshua's best uppercut landed.
    Takam, who was down and out against Povetkin, wasn't even floored by Joshua at all, in 10 rounds of one-sided fighting.

So, by automatically assuming Joshua will simply put his opponents to sleep, it's as if you're already revering him as some sort of god anyway.

3. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    When did Takam give Joshua he’ll please? He won one round.

Let’s look at Parker - Takam... Parker won on scores of 115-113, 116-112, and 116-112 I had it 115-113 myself. He won by a round or two. He’s ****ing shite.

Lay your house on it though if your so confident.

ipitythefool likes this.
  4. Scyson

Oct 14, 2017
    Why is Klitschko weak chinned? Since when? Old yes. Weak chinned? No.

Name one big puncher Parker has been in with. One.

5. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    We all know Joshua's the favorite for a reason. Hes pretty lethal in their. Its not the biggest shock in the world if he does knock parker out.

But on the surface anyway...parker is durable. He looks built like he can take a shellacking if need be. Has youth on his side. Decent work rate. Fast hands. Got the tank to go the distance. Looks like he can hit hard enough to at least dent Joshua's chin. And has a style that will attempt to push Joshua back. Looks a naturally strong boy parker. He also has a few big drawbacks but I,d say so far out of all the opponents parkers got the best attributes to beat him. Probably less chance than klitchko but he has better attributes to beat Joshua that even klitchko had at that point due to how they match up for me.

Cant see it being an close..ish fight like klitchko was cause parker will take punishment with having too short arms for the job...but defo a chance he stays in there keeps pegging away and gets somewhere with what he does have. 9/1 worth a punt.

Hes not too different to takam tbh....would probably say looks a little bit more durable than him tho...bit younger/fresher...and attempts to push his opponent back more than takam. He,ll get Joshua working more...see this as a potential banana skin. Parkers limited...but what he does have is tools that can cause Joshua problems imo.

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  6. Scyson

Oct 14, 2017
    He doesn’t have the tools to cause Joshua problems. You need movement and or power and you meet Joshua. Wilder stands a great chance because of his power, Fury stands a great chance because of his movement. Parker is just a Takam. A little fat stump who will take punishment.

7. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Joshua had issues with Klitschkos size and jab as all of his opponents do plus a lot of respect otherwise he could’ve got the job done early.

Most fighters that get there nose broke usually underperform for the rest of the fight, it happens and did with takam

Parker is game but too small

8. NakiFan

NakiFan Proud Kiwi Guy Full Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Parker is 194cm and AJ is 198cm

Takam 187cm

Parker isn't small, sure he isn't Breazeales height but he also isn't going to stand still absorbing straight jabs with his face. Joe will be catching those jabs looking for opening to lay a dozen punches on AJ in a blink of an eye.

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  9. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Parker could get the upset here, he just has to get Josh gassing, and we all know he is excellent at gassing, can't fault him.

For me the first 3-4 is very important for parker, he should just go after AJs body for at least the first 2 as he is very hittable there, and certainly does not like it.

from 3-4 parker should then mix it, then you will see AJ gas and when he does just keep on mixing it with more emphasis on the body though.

I know he risks getting caught on the way in, but he has to get on AJs chest and just let go.

The key to me is body shots, hard and consistent and if he can do this, i see AJ slowing, his jaw opening gasping for air and getting clipped on the chin a few of times, and Parker getting a decision, or even a late stoppage.

It is possible.

Mendoza and Sephiroth Rising 7 like this.
  10. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Wilder has the tools for definite. Fancy Joshua to get to him first tho. Also think Joshua gets to current day fury now as well. 12 rounds a long time to stay away from Joshua. Fury' movements great but barring klitchko he,s had a good size advantage over them all. Joshua would let his hands go. Fury wont have the same conditioning as he oncedid.

Parkers been underperforming recently but he's defo shown enough in the past to be considered as having the tools. His hands are pretty fast. If they we,rent so short i ,d put a decent bet on him.

Your saying you need power and movement. And yet Dillon whyte didn't. He doesnt really have either and still caused Joshua some problems.

Parker will need to take a shellacking to win. But if anyone looks like they can take one out the current crop its him.

11. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    The thing is with both these guys they are champions but there are quite a lots of unknowns and a lot of suspicions. There are doubts over AJ's chin and stamina and if that's factual they are pretty difficult to correct particularly the chin , with regards to stamina/cardio or quite simply the ability to fight hard bell to bell over the championship distance a lot of fairly knowledgeable types have raised questions over AJ's obsession with bulk and hardcore weight lifting regime ? And whether that is a negative factor in aiding the endurance requirements he seems to lack ?
    With Parker he is even more unknown he did look plodding against Fury but to be fair who wouldn't? If Parker has a good chin and the conditioning to get past 6 rounds the possibility of him winning would greatly increase and his team are probably pinning their hopes on a game plan to keep the pressure on Joshua whilst avoiding taking stupid punishment, quite simple to say very difficult to execute. 9/1 odds in a 2 horse race seem attractive.

12. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I think Joshua beats Parker but fancy it to go the distance. Something like 10-2 rounds in Joshuas favour.

13. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    The betting odds are not a true reflection of how competitive this fight is. Joshua is a clear favourite but not that clear a favourite.

As mentioned before betting odds can be skewed by the popularity of a fighter. The more people who bet on AJ the wider the odds and Joshua obviously will have a lot of casual fans betting on him who think he's invincible.

mcvey likes this.
  14. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Will it go the distance the takam fight should have but the matchsoom ref didn't let it and with Parker been a more dangerous fight the ref will be waiting to stop it as soon as aj gasses

15. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Takam had taken an absolute beating, lost every round and could only see from one eye. Personally I had no issues with the stoppage.

It's injuries that intrigue me with Joshua. I can't see his body holding up for much longer and there have already been rumours of back and bicep.

Scyson likes this.