Joshua Vs Usyk - September

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Guru88, Jun 8, 2021.

Joshua Vs Usyk

1. Joshua KO/TKO

48 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. Joshua decision

26 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Usyk KO/TKO

21 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. Usyk Decision

14 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    I’d be amazed if it doesn’t happen

2. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I've said this before but I Usyk really matches up well to exploit AJ's weakness.
    Joshua can be a bit bit stiff, stamina not great and Usyk will probably hit hard enough to cause him problems. Add to that Usyk's footwork and agility and faster hands which Joshua really doesn't like and it could be a really uncomfortable night for Joshua to win

BUT

I still can't get the first 3 rounds Vs Delboy out of my head - Del boy roughed OU up, it was ugly but did land some decent stuff here and there. Joshua is better skilled, hits far harder and has a greater selection of punches and Usyk is hit table. He won't be able to press AJ as early as he did to the likes of Bellew or Chisora - does that mean we may see Usyk have to take more risks? That's dangerous against the guy who's heaver, longer reach and a puncher.
    What about the stance we haven't seen Joshua in with a top flight leftie yet will that be a help or hindrance?
    Joshua will probably have about a stone in weight on OU? How does that translate to being smacked by a top rated heavy
    Usyk is 34 and injuries are creeping in - is farther time knocking on the door?

Lots of questions I think AJ will come up with the shots to take OU out but i again with no certainty - heart may be ruling head a bit.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Holler and Gatekeeper like this.
  3. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    This thread is going to make for entertaining reading post fight. This ain’t cruiserweight anymore folks!

Oreet Cha! likes this.
  4. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    You could well be right, I don't think Usyk has shown anything to suggest he crumbles under pressure, loses concentration or makes mistakes. His style can make it look like he's struggling in the early rounds (ie the Bellew fight) but he goes through the gears gradually and by the end of the fight has either KO/TKO'd his opponent or is clearly up on the cards.

AJ needs to get him out of there within 6 rounds otherwise I think it becomes Usyk's fight to lose provided the judging is fair.

Twentyman likes this.
  5. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Why? most people think AJ wins.

Smudge_ and Furious like this.
  6. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    If Usyk can land a big one to the dome, Joshua absolutely will do a funny dance.

Usyk could then soften him up to the body as Joshua stands there with his feet stuck in quicksand for a couple of rounds, making those funny faces that he does - fake smile which is actually a grimace. I don't think Usyk is the man to let him off the hook - he's got the engine, talent and belief to capitalise.

Gatekeeper and Jurgen like this.
  7. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I think back to the Ruiz fight wondering what a Wilder, Fury or Usyk would have done to him that night.

He was lucky it was a slow fat blob or he was facing the ceiling.

velagod and Safin like this.
  8. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Have you read some of the comments on here?! Anyone would think AJ is fighting the love child of Ali and Louis.

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Get what you're saying - A couple of big right hands from AJ and Usyk is going to regret signing up for this, it will be a type of power he's never felt before, can see him going into a shell after feeling the power, Usyk looked uncomfortable anytime Chisora got close to him, not a good omen for the AJ fight

But in order to get power on your punches you have to plant your feet and hold your ground, you think Usyk will do that against AJ ?? Just watched a few rounds of the Usyk - Chisora fight and OU was his on his bike for 12 rounds, constantly on the backfoot content to score with pitty pat amateur style boxing, basically OU to me looked nervous about letting a limited but proper HW near anywhere near him, again not a good omen for the AJ fight

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Oreet Cha! likes this.
  10. Dancoyr

Dancoyr Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    As you say different format and nearly 10 years ago, usyk is slowing down, he's 34, that extra weight isn't going to help either

11. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Usyk is not exactly fighting a prime Lennox Lewis or Vitali Klitschko level opponent - more like a Prime Herbert Hide

Gatekeeper likes this.
  12. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    We'll never know, but I don't think he started that fight right. I remember seeing rumours about a medical thing or concussion from sparring. Doesn't change the result and it's definitely lessened the aura around him, but I'm not sure we saw the best version of him that night.

zulander and Jurgen like this.
  13. syldave

syldave Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I think your being a bit harsh on Joshua there, he is much better than Hide, Michael Grant or maybe Bruno would be closer to the mark.

Jurgen likes this.
  14. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Don't think he is anywhere near the level of Bruno.

This is his 2nd 60/40 fight in his favour where there is some uncertainty about the outcome. The rest of his opponents just puddings and he lost to one of those.

Will change my opinion if he proves it by beating Usyk, Fury and Wilder.

Safin and syldave like this.
  15. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    The knockdowns he suffered were far from heavy, yet he was like a drunk man and was able to quit on his own accord. Granted, I don't know what Joshua was going through and I'm not one of these "die in the ring" blokes but I'm in the same boat as you - he is lucky that he wasn't put flat out.

Jurgen likes this.