Joshua's health issue?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ryanm8655, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    As AJ already stated, all will be revealed in his book!

Lol

2. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    I'm not that bothered that he says there was a reason after getting the win in a rematch. Its not like Ruiz "i'm not making excuses but.." after losing

3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Think you’re over thinking it chaps.

If he had a genuine issue then fair enough, he’s only revealed it after he’s done the business in the rematch and still made far less excuses than Ruiz. If you’re going to tell people you had a problem better to do so once you’ve settled the score than immediately after losing. He mentioned the operation before this fight and I thought his point was that boxers have issues and just crack on.

People need to loosen up and let the guy enjoy being back at the top of the division.

Clarkey and Unforgiven like this.
  4. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    I guess at the end of the day you have to blame Ruiz a bit for allowing Joshua to change the narrative of the story. He is basically saying there was no stylistic issue with Ruiz really, he lost due to some operation. There clearly was a style issue, Ruiz pummelled the man after getting knocked down himself, it was a deserved win.

I feel Ruiz could have done better in the rematch, he didn’t have the same determination and spirit and this was one of my concerns coming in, he was blunted a bit by the success. I’m not saying Ruiz would have won against this new stick and move AJ but it was so one sided it has given AJ the room to say it was easy. When Ruiz did get in with a few attacks he had some success, so it’s not unreasonable to think he could have performed better, so that’s on him. So now we get the “yeah it was easy, I only lost the first fight cause I had a hernia” story.

As Unforgiven said though, AJ would have gained more respect just saying he lost the first fight fair and square, adjusted, rebuilt and was able to come back from a bad loss and win. I respect that. I don’t respect trying to erase a loss, going back on his original tact. Probably Hearn though rather than AJ.

Unforgiven likes this.
  5. LondonRingRules

LondonRingRules Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When you rewatch the first fight it looks to me like stick and move was the game plan anyway. Maybe he would have come in lighter for the first fight if Ruiz had been the original opponent.

I don’t think he needs to come out and say anything was wrong anyway. Losing to Ruiz was probably the best thing that could have happened in reality. It legitimised him as an opponent for the 2nd fight, if he’d have outboxed Ruiz the first time around pretty much everyone would have said it was a poor performance imo, because the context would have been non existent.

6. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Plus it led to his biggest payday.

7. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I actually dont mind when a fighter has an explanation for a defeat. Most fighters go through hard times in training camps etc. None of us are always 100 percent.

Its up to people to think their valid or not. To me joshuas explanation isnt great because the evidence of them changing everything up for the rematch kind of points towards the changes we,re necessary. It wasn,t just down to joshuas reason/s for the defeat.

Same with ruiz....i think his is valid....he was too fat. Doesnt make him less of a moron or only having himself to blame.

Not sure i like the whole your not allowed to say anything. Let people explain themselves....then let people decide if its valid or not....or better still win the rematch like joshua did.

ryanm8655 and Citizen Smith like this.
  8. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    I agree to an extent, depending on the excuse I guess, but its never nice to hear a fighter detract from someones victory, which really is what it does. Its pretty classless, especially saying you didnt train properly etc. a lot of fighters make a real effort not to do this whatever the circumstances and they always get respect, its really rare an excuse will be accepted anyway so why bother? or at least just let others do it so you dont have to say anything. but yeah it happens and is part of the sport.

in AJ's case he won the rematch but that wasnt enough for them, they want to erase his loss as well by the looks of it. AJ didnt make any excuses at the time, people around him did, he just gave Ruiz credit which was very classy. Now he is kind of reversing that with these new revelations, thus the incoming documentary "Why I Never Lost".

Dont get me wrong, I respect AJ and what he did to comeback, its just a shame I still kind of see him as a fake now, because of this kind of stuff.

bbjc likes this.
  9. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I cant watch it cause ive not finished the show :(