Juan Alejandro Saucedo Ortiz vs. Sonny Leonard Fredrickson

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jun 28, 2020.

El Cholo or Pretty Boi?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2020.
  1. Saucedo on points

50.0%
  2. Saucedo by stoppage

50.0%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fredrickson on points

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fredrickson by stoppage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Headlining tomorrow night on ESPN. 10 rounds at light welter.

Saucedo is coming off a woeful period of inactivity, burning away nineteen months of his mid-20's prime with just two minutes spent in the ring (blitzing Rod Salka via KO1) a few months before the pandemic to snap what had already been a full year's layoff since the previous November. Fredrickson also had bouts in November of 2018 & 2019, but also had a stay-busy tuneup sandwiched by them in May; his last assignment was also good for nine more rounds of rust-shaking than Saucedo's versus Salka (though it was an unsuccessful bid for the USBA super lightweight title in a MD loss to Samuel Teah).

Fredrickson is doubtless the puncher here - both 21-2 (14) in the pros and 120-8 (60) in the amateurs (for those unfamiliar with simonpure norms, hovering around the 50% kayo mark in a version of the sport most often decided on points signifies uncommon pop). Saucedo had the lengthier amateur campaign, with a self-reported 165 bouts - although his winning percentage is probably well below Fredrickson's (else he and his team would just state the numerical record as normal, and not his total number fought). Saucedo also has more pro experience and has defeated better opposition and been rated higher - but it doesn't take a superhuman to stop him, as Maurice Hooker did pummeling Saucedo in his only loss.

CST80 and Chuck Norris like this.
  2. FromBuenosAires

FromBuenosAires Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    i think Salcedo wins by ko/tko inside 8. His level of opposition is higher and fredrickson looked clueless in his step-up agains ergashev, he doesnt have the skills to keep saucedo off him for long. This fight probably is fredrickson transition form prospect with padded record to domestic journeyman while saucedo remains a gatekeeper after it.

3. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    I like this fight. Neither fighter is world level and I think this will a pretty fun fight. Saucedo will probably win a close decision victory. :chuck:

CST80 likes this.
  4. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Saucedo had over 185 amateur fights, starting at age 8 or 9, and almost all of them were junior division. In his lone tournament in the open division he defeated a very highly regarded southpaw and turned pro shortly after. He has had a good camp this time. He showed up in shape, as opposed to having to lose over 40 pounds like he did for the Hooker fight.

The break after the Hooker fight was necessary. If you recall, he had several hard fights in a row and he needed a rest, some time to let cuts heal that had been reopening. And there was the change of trainers.
    A lot of money has been invested in Saucedo. I expect he will win this fight but he needs to make some serious changes in his style if he is to reach the goals he has for his career. It will be interesting to see if he has improved with the new trainer.

Chuck Norris and CST80 like this.
  5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Whoops...tomorrow, actually, not tonight.

This content is protected

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I spent a ridiculous amount of time sleuthing out what Sonny is short for, in vain. I think his dumb ass parents really might have put "Sonny" on his birth certificate. :shakehead:

Max Thunder likes this.
  7. Max Thunder

Max Thunder Proud member of the Cult of Vikings Full Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Let's settle at Sonfred.