Judgewatch

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Nov 14, 2016.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Didn't the same thing haven when Solis was robbed against McDonnell? A imported US. Judge voted for the "house fighter" there too. A pattern is starting to emerge.

These judges know what side their bread is buttered on. They get a plane ticket, a hotel, a few bob wages...all in all its a nice little junket for them. A nice little gig. They get to like it...want more trips abroad etc. They get the message that judges that find against the " house fighter" don't get called back a second time etc...

I still say the BBBoC need to clamp down more though.

N17 and sjp17 like this.
  2. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    My fault ill hold my hand up I pulled the info from boxrec , where I can now see it has been amended with the judges name added, though whether McDonnell deserves an apology or not is no big deal he was well paid I would imagine and will get more pay days, its Stephen Ormond his family and team , plus boxing fans that have been shafted !

lencoreastside likes this.
  3. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Well said. Thank you for standing up for decent values and fair play. Sadly people like you, espousing the values of honesty and decency that you stand for, are all too scarce these days.

sjp17 likes this.
  4. Builder in Braces

Builder in Braces New Member Full Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Well done everyone.

Standing up for values and integrity is great and i support you all the way. Sometimes it can be too easy to look for blame before getting all the details.

I do hope the re-mach will be less controversial.

If you were running a boxing body (IBF, WBA, BBBoC) what would you do to address your concerns with Judging transparency and scoring.

5. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Ok well said. Just to be clear..I left the room while the scorecards were read out...heard 117-110 was awarded...dived into boxerec, and it said it was Marcus McDonnell. Of course I should have realised he was the ref...after all I d been looking at him for 12 rounds in there reffing...
    Others made the same mistake.

The problem in this fight seems to be similar to solis McDonnell...a imported official ...enjoying the junket and wanting to be flown over again....trying too hard to please the promoter, please the home crowd, favour the house fighter etc...

Let's not forget didn't BBBoC official Howard foster score for Hyland too? I'd better check that before I say any more...!!!

The BBBoC must do more.

sjp17 and Builder in Braces like this.
  6. Builder in Braces

Oct 23, 2017
    Ive never judged or reffed but i'm sure it must be a challenge not to let the atmosphere and occasion affect your judgment. True Mr Foster scored Hyland too. If there was a way of getting the judges away from the "event" and just exposed to the fight, similar to TMO in rugby could help. Its a very difficult subject every sport has a similar "how did that happen" story.

7. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I agree with this. In this day an age for big boxing events it’s a shame they can’t have 4 cameras on each side of the room and the judges (in separate rooms) can watch their view on mute.

8. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Im not sure this would do much good, 20. for starters it presupposes that the main influence acting on the judges ...er....'judgement' ....is the crowd! I'm not sure this is the case.

I feel the main factor is the ol cha-chiiiiing! ££££! Cos the worst offenders seem to be judges flown in from the states who obviously enjoy the junket and are keen to be invited back again - and therefore keen to please the promoter/organisation that brought them over - by favouring the 'house' fighter.

Twentyman likes this.
  9. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Yeah that’s probably true, mate.

10. Builder in Braces

Oct 23, 2017

Is it not the boxing body that controls judge or ref allocation not the promoter? I could only imagine what results would happen if promoters were in control of boxers, events and judges.

11. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Steve gray! Reffed the conlan ancajas "massacre" last night. Did everything in his power to help conlan win....slow counts...restricting ancajas...penalising him ...interfering in every way possible to assist the local star and impede the foreigner!

Gray is not incompetent...that was deliberate! Sickening!

12. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    He was the same in the Leather/Foot fight last week. As soon as Foot knocked down the 'home' fighter he was straight on his case, taking points and warning him for just coming forward.

British refs are some of the most corrupt in boxing.

lencoreastside likes this.
  13. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    That's why I started this thread Erick...so the miscreants can be identified, named and ...eventually...hopefully...put under pressure to behave.

Doing nothing won't change it. We have to act.

Erik likes this.
  14. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hey, America would be glad to send you Byrd!

15. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    She wouldn't fit in over here....she wouldn't be corrupt enough....