June 15, 1984: The destruction of Roberto Duran

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jun 14, 2018.

1. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Hearne just knew he was going to dismantle him

2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    although I thought Hearns thought he would dismantle Hagler also.. And look how that turned out. I think he had it in his mind he was going to go out and check Duran's chin, and he had the same thought with Hagler. Duran failed and Hagler did not. I think it might be as easy as that. Hearns always hit guys and always tested chins, and if the guys could not take his punch he found out quickly. And he hit hard enough where he would have a reaction to anyone even guys who had solid chins.

3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    This was Tommy's best win bar none. Look at Duran's long record, no one did that to him ..No one. This was the same light weight whoended up going the distance with a legendary middle for Pete's sake .So for Hearns to get in there a and do that ,lay out Duran face first ,massive achievement !

4. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I love Tommy, which is why I feel so frustrated seeing him now 34 years after he fought Duran challenging Hagler to fight at the Hall of Fame. And he I not challenging Hagler in a rude way. He says it nicely and Hagler turns him down nicely, but it is just ridiculous. I wish Hearns would have saved his money. Just on the Hearns vs.Leonard rematch in 1989 Tommy earned 11 million. I hate to turn things into money but someone answer me that is why he is mentioning fighting Hagler now, and I think he is right, but that is the sad thing now years after the fight. All these guys should be millionaires over and over. The last day or two I have thought more about Hearns now and how he I in 2018. because last weekend he challenged Hagler to fight again. It makes you think he does not care much about winning or losing anymore maybe, maybe it is the money at this point Sad. No one would pay him much to fight Hagler again, and if they did. Duran might come back and we might have Hearns/Duran 2 or even 3 again as a joke fights. Duran would probably do it since he doesn't have much money either.. So I hope they never sanction these fights or that a promoter does not see money in legends fighting again. Hearns and Duran would absolutely do it, but I don't think Hagler and Leonard would. It would be a terrible mistake for boxing. to see a 60 year old Hearns fight a 67 year old Duran or something like that. Or a 64 year old Hagler to fight a 60 year old Hearns.

5. 80s champs

80s champs Active Member Full Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Or "I lost to a better fighter that night." Helps them hold onto some pride..

6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Okay I'll say it, the Duran of 1980 would have done to Hearns what Leonard did, late Tko. Hearns was not a strong fighter at welterweight and Duran was strong and VERY QUICK. One of the underappreciated things of the Montreal fight was how Sugar Ray had such a difficult time with Durans quickness. If Ray could walk down and stop Hearns, Duran, a much better stalker would have done the same

ETM likes this.
  7. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Duran said in an interview that when he got dropped in the first round he started thinking about, where were those two lesbians that he had been partying with the last two months in Vegas? Duran had received 250,000 dollars up front and used it. After the age of 30, you just didn't know what would show up. Duran had no trouble handling poverty, but wealth? When the cash started running dry he'd make a run, Cuevas ,Moore,Hagler, and later Barkley. Hell ,he even had some good scraps in his forties, Pazienza, Castro. He is the only fighter to ever win fights in 5 decades. He's easily an all time top ten, I may put him at 5, the only fighter near his weight I'd favor over him is Sugar Ray Robinson

Gatekeeper and ETM like this.
  8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Anyone read Duran's account of this fight and the what led up to it? In (I AM Duran) funny and shows that maybe Duran really was a little crazy. Some dude bringing a quarter of a mil to him at a bar late one night. Some lesbians got involved and Duran climbed on the wrong one.
    According to Duran when Hearns landed that first right that knocked him down the lesbos were the first thought that came to him.

Reinhardt likes this.
  9. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Those damn Lesbians

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  11. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    the problem with boxing is most fighters eventually lose and they have to show some humility.

12. Matt Bargas

Matt Bargas Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    He did seem indecisive. Could not figure out what strategy would work. He could have done a Benitez and just try to avoid getting hit or a Hagler and just go straight at him. Instead he sort of waffled between the two. I don’t think either strategy would have worked for him that night. Hearns easily outboxes Duran at a distance, and Duran isn’t strong enough to emulate Hagler charging forward.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  13. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    If I had a dime for every time we've heard the lesbian excuse...........

Jel and Unforgiven like this.
  14. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Duran was built like a voluptuous lady trucker.

Unforgiven likes this.
  15. Matt Bargas

Matt Bargas Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Agreed. Do you think that a smaller version of Hearns could have done that to Duran at 135?