June 27 1988: How long could Quarry last?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, May 4, 2024.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Let's say instead of Michael Spinks, prime Jerry Quarry fights Tyson on June 27, 1988. We all know Quarry loses, but my question is, how fast? Does it go over 5 rounds, under 5 rounds? I say under 5 rounds.

2. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Quarry would wade right into Tyson, leading with his head, because that’s the kind of fighter he was and IMO is why he’s so revered here, and it would get really ugly really quickly.

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    How Iong does he last?

4. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Jerry Quarry was tough but his smaller stature 6′ 0″, 200 lbs and 72″ reach was the kind of fighter a prime Mike Tyson fed on.

Add into the mix Tysons pissed off state of mind going into the Spinks fight and I see Tyson getting him out of there in two or three... THAT night.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  5. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I think Quarry would have a decent shot of going over 5 and maybe catching Tyson with some good counter shots. Quarry was tough as nails, had some skills, and most importantly had no fear. All of this would serve him relatively well...for a while.

6. PRW94

Nov 26, 2020
    2 or 3 rounds absolute tops. I understand he’s adored here but Jerry Quarry was not in the same solar system as prime Mike Tyson.

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Inside 3 I’d say

ikrasevic likes this.
  8. PRW94

Nov 26, 2020
    I understand the fact that he was tough as nails and had no fear is why people adore and revere him, but look at where it got him? He would come right at Tyson and Tyson like Curly Bill Brocius in Tombstone would say, “Come and get you some, boy,” except that Quarry would not have Wyatt Earp’s shotgun.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  9. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    As long as it took you to post your question.

10. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    Anywhere from 2-5 rounds is reasonable. People are saying Quarry’s respect here will see his fortunes over-rated but I see it just the opposite - Spinks’ disgraceful no-show inflates how quickly Tyson would (definitely) knock Quarry, a deft counter-puncher with a great motor, out.

It is Spinks’ lay down which makes this hard to pin down when Quarry loses, not how much of a bad ass Tyson supposedly was that night.

USFBulls727 likes this.
  11. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Except Spinks didn't lay down. He actually got hit with a sledgehammer called Tyson's counter right.

Quarry gets absolutely bludgeoned within 2 rounds.

12. ikrasevic

ikrasevic F(_)CK the new age Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Inside 2 I’d say

13. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    Well as we’ve discussed previously, that’s a matter of opinions.

14. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I have great respect for Quarry, but I wouldn't say I "adore and revere him." It is true that he paid a horrific price for his courage and toughness, but the question was whether he could go over 5 rounds - I think he would have a decent chance of doing that.

Pugguy likes this.
  15. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Quarry is being sold outrageously cheap here.
    I think people is making too much of Tyson's demolition of Spinks. Sure Tyson wrecked Spinks in no time, but Spinks was already half beaten by fear before the bell rang.

Quarry is not going to be intimidated by Tyson and his cheap bully antics. He is going to be game and his toughness will carry him on the few initial rounds. Afterwards, sure, a late stoppage is very possible.