Just how good of a boxer was James Toney?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    You made the thread to hate on Toney because you were massacred in the other thread.

That’s how simple it is.

It doesn’t matter if Toney struggled against the best he fought.

Do you know why?

Because the guys he struggled with collectively beat MANY top level fighters themselves.

Now let it go.

Try and find some peace.

I’ll try my best to get you a signed photo of Dave Tiberi which you can cherish forever.

2. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    This guy is literally mentally ill.

We shouldn’t mock him really.

He seriously needs to see somebody.

dinovelvet likes this.
  3. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    By your own admission you only recently watched some of Toney’s biggest fights.

You were then caught using Boxrec to try and downplay Reggie Johnson’s career.

Both of which paints a very clear picture of what sort of a fan you are, and what you’ve watched and what you haven’t watched.

You can lie if you want.

It makes no difference.

We don’t need to possess psychic powers or a degree in psychology to work it all out.

A guy who never watched Toney’s biggest fights or the career of Reggie Johnson, DID NOT watch Toney’s fight against Dave Tiberi, live in 1992.

Nobody is going to believe that.

You score fights BEFORE you watch them, based on pure emotion.

All things considered, you are an extremely poor poster.

Every debate you have is based on statistics, without ever allowing for context.

You never allow for circumstances.

On another thread, you have criticised Tyson Fury for his comeback fights, despite the fact that he was out for 3 years and that he had to shed about 10 stone.

You have no understanding of anything.

You are a stat man who belongs on social media.

You have been massacred on multiple threads and have been made to look like an absolute fool.

If you seriously think otherwise then you need to see a professional.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    dinovelvet likes this.
  4. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    “Reggie Johnson was outboxed by 7 fighters”

That right there shows you that this guy uses Boxrec.

I just wished I’d have let him run further with it, so he’d have dug himself a bigger hole.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    You could be accused of doing the very same thing yourself.

George Crowcroft and dinovelvet like this.
  6. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I don’t care if he didn’t face the best HW’s of his time.

An unexceptional former MW could not beat ANY top level CW’s or HW’s.

George Crowcroft and dinovelvet like this.
  7. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    :lol:

George Crowcroft and Loudon like this.
  8. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    And he believes Roy beat Toney with the jab. Should I go on?

George Crowcroft and Loudon like this.
  9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, Roy easily laded his jab, moron. Toney wasn't hard to out jab a point I sho here. Jones also landed combinations too, and outboxed Toney, who at best won two rounds! Toney packeting din in, and did not risk what he needed to win

Esuses go here :b2:______________________:b2:

10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Toney was on Roids.

And get it right, Johnson was out boxed by six different fighters, and beaten 7 times. I said this multiple times. DUH. I also said Toney never gave him, nor Nunn, nor Tiberi a re-match.

If you want to go over my math, Toney is down - 16 rounds on the rounds won to rounds lost card in the fighters mentioned in this thread. I'll even take your Tiberi card and adjust this downward if you want me to :) Honest.

You remain a sad poster, who has to resort to misquotes to make a point, but at least you were honest when you said I really don't know enough to judge, I'll give you that one. I can quote you correctly, just ask :)

Yes I swear to god I watched the Toney vs Tiberi fight live. Who are you to say what I have an have not seen. Tiberi took the fight took him and out worked Toney, out landing Toney by landing over 160 more punches.

Insert you never ending excuses below, you dishonest sad man.

:b1:_______________________________________________________________:b1:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  11. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    LOL You did not watch the fight.By your own admission you also did not watch the Reggie Johnson fight, yet you called the cards fishy.

Loudon and George Crowcroft like this.
  12. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    It was closer than people often say anyway. Toney was coming on from the 7th or 8th round on.

I remember Jim Lampley saying during one of Toney's HBO fights (I think Ruiz or Rahman 1) that "Toney had lost every round of the Nunn fight before knocking Nunn out" and figuring that Lampley either forgot the fight or never saw it.

The judges that gave him 1 or 2 rounds probably only did because the fight was in Iowa.

Toney won the Reggie Johnson fight fairly IMO, although he was probably more hurt by Reggie in that fight than he was until he fought Sam Peter at heavyweight. I think Toney deserved the win in the first McCallum fight but lost the rematch by a point. Toney looked brilliant in the first fight, not so great in the rematch. The Tiberi fight was an obvious gift for Toney.

Loudon likes this.
  13. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Man still hasen't replied :lol:

Loudon likes this.
  14. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Overall, I do not think Toney got favored by the judges.The Griffin, Thadzi and Peter I fight could have easily been scored in his favour.

15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    You have something wrong with you. Toney was roided up and mostly lost at heavyweight. Therefore his accomplishments and gift decisions there ( Oquendo ) should not count.