Just how good of a boxer was James Toney?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Toney was robbed in both the Griffin fights, especially the second.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I have answered all questions and even will make a deal with you answering any one you choose as long as you reply to mine. Deal? That's more than fair. Back to the thread.

3. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I didn't include these fight in the thread, but its clear Toney was gifted by judges too.

4. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Stop ducking, Answer my question. Who did Jacobs beat? What is his best win?

5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    If you think that running off a scorecard with punchstats is in any way reasonable, allow me to disabuse you.

It's pathetic and it's wrong. You might think Toney won that fight. But you haven't scored it. Interrogating a produced scorecard with punchstats, judge's scorecards, none of it is reasonable, all of it is meaningless. The person you are talking to clearly knows more about that fight than you do.

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I thought Toney won the first Peter fight, and lost the second.
    He got a gift against Tiberi.
    The Griffins fights, I can't remember.
    He lost the Thadzi fight but it was close too.
    I think he lost to Oquendo.
    The Batchelder fight could have gone either way.
    The McCallum fights could each go either way.

Mendoza likes this.
  7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    How good was James Toney ??

Not as good as GGG.

There. You got what you wanted now could a mod please close down this abomination of a thread started by the worst and most disliked poster on ESB ?

dinovelvet, Showstopper97 and Loudon like this.
  8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    It's pathetic and wrong to use official data in analysis? Says who? These are facts, not opinions. I take it you do know the difference and by crying " disabuse " you come off like a fan boy. Everything I wrote with the exception of the Tiberi card which I offered to use that person's score is fact. So I am being factually, and fair. My observations as to why Toney had trouble with jabs I think are spot on, starting with short arms.

Straight up, Toney was not some great boxer. I proved it by using the middle official's card in 6 of his key fights in his prime. The largest point in my opinion is several close fights vs mere contenders or unranked men. Draws, Split decisions, and the fact there were NO re-matches.

9. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I can respect that. I'm really not focusing on his fights above 168, rather how much being he was on scorecards vs the better opponents he fought

10. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Nobody. Absolutely nobody says that. It is pure fantasy and strawman on your part.

Now given that your post started on the most false and atrocious premis imaginable, I am not responding to (or reading) the rest of your post.

11. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    He was an extremely well schooled boxer. But he was lazy and too selective with his shots. Hence, he was outhustled a few times by guys he should have beaten easily. Jones was about the only guy who just was way too fast for him. Nothing he could have done there.

Jackstraw likes this.
  12. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Eubank trying to be considered in his response, then Benn shouts “You’re fick as two short plenks!”

13. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    as you always agree with the official cards, you agree then that GGG never beat Caneo.Allright then

14. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    You’re just too STUPID to realise that McCallum, (the 35 year old man that you ignorantly refer to) BEAT other excellent fighters and boxers.

Getting a draw against even a 35 year old Mike McCallum, is NOT evidence that you’re not a great boxer.

15. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    The ButtHurt is strong in this thread from the GGG vs. Toney thread. They do make ointments for this level of hurt.