just read martin murrys interview about upcoming fight

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by STEPHEN1990, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Silent_Service

Silent_Service Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 25, 2014
    I don't know if this post is real?
    He's the one fighter out there who certainly wasn't 'gifted' anything... went to Germany & IMO beat Strum, likewise Argentina & beat Martinez...

the lad headlined Echo last time out, for the first time ever! if anything his problem has been that hes too workmanlike, never mouths off.

He's been very unlucky, was beat fairly by GGG, went longer than anyone expected / hoped. Groves & Abraham both beat him fairly, but he certainly showed again he belongs with them!

To suggest anything else is simply stupid!

Odins beard and Twentyman like this.
  2. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004

He wasn't robbed against Sturm, that's the narrative about bouts in Germany but the decision was close and fair. Agree he was unlucky against Martinez.

Lets be honest, he hasn't done himself any favours recently. He blew the Abraham fight as he was far too cautious/negative and Abraham was obviously there to be beaten. There is no shame in losing to Groves, however he was absolutely awful against Nuhu Lawal who was basically a welterweight fighting at Middleweight. He then followed that up with a bang average performance v Rosado. Worse still his moaning was tough to take after both bouts. As much as Hearn tried to talk the 'beautiful brutality' up before Rosado, Murray's style is tedious and boring. High gloves, low output and little power is not a recipe for entertainment.

Respect him as he is tough and was so against a prime GGG. But got no interest in watching him and this 'world class' stuff needs packing in.

Odins beard and lencoreastside like this.
  3. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think the GGG fight took too much out of him to be honest. His own toughness went against him when he fought him cos the fight was done by the mid rounds but he hung in there till round 11 (and would have easily done the 12) and took far too much punishment.

The move up to super middleweight was ill advised imo. The reason he moved up was because GGG had the division wrapped up but it seemed daft to me. He lacked size, power (was never a big hitter anyway) and punch output to trouble the bigger lads. He didn't do enough against Abraham's I agree but that was a declining Murray for me. The fight against Groves used up what was left in the tank, the shots he took in that fight should have sparked him out. What a chin. That turned into a top fight.

In his heyday, up to that GGG fight, he was world class.

PaddyGarcia and Odins beard like this.
  4. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    no when he signed with hearn he fought trash and waited for a title fight and thinks his world class just like a paul smith

he was fringe world level at best

5. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. I think everybody agrees he's not world class anymore. Unfortunately, Martin isn't unique in being the last one to realise that he's not at that level he once was. Most fighters only realise when it's too late that they don't quite have that timing and speed anymore, that they don't quite have the heart to go through another war.

It's also worth adding that a fighters psyche can not let self doubt creap in. They sound utterly deluded to us who watch on from the comfort of our armchairs but they have to convince themselves they can be world beaters...that includes Paul Smith. What do you want them to say... "Well....I'll try me best, no way am I as good as him but I might land a lucky punch"?

Murray's got the very best out of the tools he's been given, he's never dodged an opponent ever. He's never given in, despite being totally outclassed against GGG and Groves in the end....nothing like Paul Smith.

im sparticus likes this.
  6. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Top bloke and a very hard and proud man prime..He defo was world class for a short while but we've seen the best of him I think at this stage now. I hope he's made a few quid and can retire soon ! Straight talkin northerner, I liked him

Odins beard and Twentyman like this.
  7. Liverpool82

Liverpool82 Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I think a fight between Martin and Paul Smith would sell well actually - nice final pay cheque:

8. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Agree that Murray was a tough durable guy but below world class level

9. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Frankly speaking, Smith has done this for most of his career:

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/182945

He's come up short any time he has stepped up to world level or fringe world level. Bearing this in mind and casting an eye upon the surfeit of opponents with losing pro records or woeful pro records on Smith's ledger, do you realise that his whole "I'm world class, me" rhetoric all rings rather hollow.

10. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Murray is, however, still a level above Smith, and I'm confident he would win a comfortable decision over Smith after 12 rounds of pawing, hugging and slow-dancing if the two of them were to ever fight.

11. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Smith isn't, never has been and certainly never be world level.

Murray whilst no longer top 10 calibre can at least say he's been at that level.

Smith's best win is probably Tony Dodson, he doesn't deserve a European title fight let alone a world title fight.