Just started boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Tyler VanZile, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Tyler VanZile

Tyler VanZile New Member Full Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Hey everybody, I'm Tyler, 17 years old, I just joined my first boxing gym yesterday and attended my first practice. It was pretty grueling as it was my first time working out in a few weeks (I've been on vacation and just haven't had the time) however I enjoyed every second of it. It started off with some stretching, then the coach took me outside and told me to a few different runs, it was exhausting.

When we were done running we went inside and it was kind of a free for all from that point on, the coach left to go train the actual boxers who compete and I was left alone. I decided to wrap my hands, put on some gloves, and start hitting the heavy bag, I probably looked like a ****ing idiot but whatever. Eventually I approached another less busy coach and told him my situation, he started walking me through footwork and I spent the rest of the class working on that. I nearly passed out near the end, but continued till the gym closed, as I was leaving I said bye to the coaches and the one who helped me said to come back tomorrow and he'd train me more.

Unfortunately, I have work at the time of the class and won't be able to make it, is this gonna make me look bad/uncommitted? I'm about to go up there and just work out by myself. Any tips/instructions on what to do? I'm actually going to my second real class tomorrow, I just feel bad because he's expecting me today.

2. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    If you agreed to meet him then yes it'll make you look bad.

If you knew you had work why did you agree to train at that time?

3. Tyler VanZile

Jul 17, 2017
    Technically I didn't, he just said be up here at 6:30 tomorrow and walked off, it was also really loud in the gym and I doubt he heard me say I couldn't, but it's all good now, I just got back from my second day and I ended up meeting with another coach and training with him, I told him about the situation and he said he'd let him know I already came, also my second day went really well, I just ran, warmed up, and started hitting the heavy bags, once again looking like a jackass, but a few other boxers there quickly corrected me and another coach came in and taught me how to jab, better footwork, stance, etc.

4. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Sounds pretty similar to the gym I trained at except the running and free for all part.

5. Tyler VanZile

Jul 17, 2017
    Haha it's not exactly a free for all anymore, I hear they have a lot of people who go once and leave so I guess the coach just wanted to see if I actually gave a damn, but the running still persist XD

6. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Everyone understands that people have lives outside of the gym. Just be upfront with your coach and tell him what your schedule is like. Don't blow sunshine up his ass or he'll just think your another blow hard like most guys.

You'll be fine. Just talk to your coaches pre-emptively and honestly, they are there to help and work with you.