Just Watched A Bunch Of Khaosai Galaxy Fights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by salsanchezfan, Apr 12, 2008.

1. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    ...........And in a strange sort of way, I feel badly in saying this; I was a bit underwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have these on DVD now, he was a huge player in the history of the lighter-weight fighters, and I think he is indeed a worthy HOF'er. The results don't lie; 49-1, 43 KO's, and he was a longtime champion.

First, the analysis of his style........you can tell in the fights I have from earlier in his title reign that he'd been a kickboxer before turning to standard boxing. He had that little hop-step you see in kickboxers as they spring around, where they are always in a position to kick, taking shorter steps. I was almost expecting him to shoot out his leg at someone's knee half the time. It took him awhile to shake that, but in later fights, he seems to have adopted a wider stance and more conventional footwork. As a result, he seemed to be knocked off balance less in the late fights I saw.

His jab was almost non-existent. When he did throw it, it was strictly as a pawing range-finder for his big left hand (he was a southpaw, of course). He didn't offer much in the way of head movement, and his attack was pretty one-dimensional, but it would be incorrect to say (as I'd read in a magazine once) that he was a miniature Rocky Marciano. His attack was more measured; rather than bore in in a couch throwing endless punches the way Rocky did, Galaxy would circle a bit, then leap in with a big left, then follow it up with really good uppecuts with both hands, though he featured it best with his left. He had no right hook to speak of. He hardly ever threw it from what I could see, which is kind of unusual for so accomplished a left-handed fighter.

His success, to me, was reliant almost solely on his physical strength. In this regard, I have rarely seen anyone so dominant in any given weight class. He looked like a 115 pound bodybuilder, with impossibly wide shoulders, a massive chest, and a narrow waist.

I'll say this for him; he knew this strength was his meal ticket, because once he got inside to rip those uppercuts, it was a matter of his opponents trying to hang on for dear life. Sorta like tying to hold back the tide with a soup spoon. The guy simply could not be discouraged.

Good chin, though I did see him dropped against Blanco before storming back.

I guess I was just expecting to see this electric talent, given how much we'd heard and the relative mystery surrounding him (borne of not seeing much of him except brief youtube clips). In fact, his style was not terribly pleasing to the eye, and he seemed quite one-dimensional. I wouldn't agree that he didn't fight good opposition as I've read of him occasionally. These are foreign-born, lighter weight fighters. Most of us have raely seen these guys so they aren't in our line of sight, so to speak; take David Griman, who went on after his loss to Galaxy to win the flyweight title. Griman had a nice style and was quite skilled. Just because we haven't read about these guys or seen them doesn't mean they were forgettable fighters.

That's about it, I guess. Glad to have them in my collection, but overall I was left a bit wanting.

2. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    i thikn he relied on a simple game plan which just worked use that left as a boomer if somone gets close throw it if you miss you'll hit him later in the fight.

i think his non aparent jab was actaully an advantage. he didnt get timed and no one could land an overhand right on him.

one of the hardest punchers i have seen.

which fights did you get?

3. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

...........Lessee, I have both Matsumura fights (the rematch shows Matsumura taking a truly fearful hiding before the fight was stopped with just seconds to go; one of the best displays of heart in a fighter I've ever seen). Monserrat, Pical, Ernesto Ford, Ari-Blanco, Griman, and Byung-Kwan Chung (who simply didn't belong in the ring with Galaxy; hideously overmatched).

I hear what you're saying as to his style, he knew what his strengths were and rode them to the bank, as any good fighter would. You're supposed to do that after all. I guess it's my own fault for expecting more glaring, obvious skills. In fact, his skills were quite minimal. He won fights on his strength. At times it was like watching a pit bull play with a Raggedy-Ann doll. :lol:

4. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    well you could sya if he did have better boxing skills she might not be as dangerous or possibly might be easier to beat you donot know. as much as he was a beast he wasnt a brainless bully he took you apart or outhustled you. also his style of staying on the outside then launching a straight left was very effective.

i love the thai crowd when he hits them a mass YEAH!!!! and an appalause :lol:
    i would love to try and introduce that to the germans who dont say a word.

5. MagnificentMatt

MagnificentMatt Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Good to hear something about a fighter i havent seen before, especially as in depth as that haha..

On another note.. Wheres the best place to buy DVDs?

6. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    [YT]ZeJnVLskjuM[/YT]
    that was a tap :dead

7. Rui

Rui Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2008
    salsanchezfan, I'm interested in acquiring DVDs of some Asian fighters (including Galaxy) that I've never had the opportunity to see fight. Is there anyone you recommend?

8. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

..........Glad to be of service. :D

Our own Raging B()ll is where I get eveything. Man, you should see his list of fights. Remember that movie Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and the look in the kids' eyes as they see that sugary wonderland before them as they enter the factory? Same kinda deal when you see his list of available fights.

9. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

..........Hi Rui; Raging B()ll sort of specializes in asian fighters, actually. It's one of his pet interests.

10. MagnificentMatt

MagnificentMatt Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Ah nice...any idea one how hes pricing most of them.

I bought some fights from boxingjunkies and it was good for the most part, but they left out one fight and out in an doubles of another (bought a James Toney career set and they did this)...

11. Rui

Rui Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks a lot. I'll send him a PM once I reach 50 posts.

12. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

..........I don't know if he has any real set pricing structure. I always just say, "here's $80; I know I want this one and this and this, and you just come up with some other good **** to throw in there." :lol: And he does. He always throws a couple extras in there, and the amount you get for what you spend is FAR better than the other couple places I used before I started buying from him.

13. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004

:good

14. Mantequilla

Mantequilla Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Most people who have seen a lot of Galaxy seem to come to a similar opinion.

He's probably the most overrated asian fighter by Westerners.Especially in comparison to how the more clued in Asian fans think of him.

If you want to see technically gifted fighters from that golden era of super-flyweights then watch Watanabe and Roman.

15. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    He wasn't one of the most scientific fighters but he had incredible power and a great chin not to mention very strong and huge for his weight. I always enjoyed his fights he was pretty accurate as well and a good finisher and his record shows he was extremely affective.