Just watched Beterbiev-Gvozdyk for the 3rd time

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    I think Beterbievs pedigree might just do it u know.. Gassiev as brutal as he can be was made to look silly by Usyk.. there's a size difference but Beterbiev is still a unit & I think he'd still be effective if he packed on say 15lbs.. he walked through Gvozdyk & he's a big LHW.. in fact I've seen Usyk & the nail together various times & there isn't much size difference between the two..

He just has that physicality & aura about him

Better boxer of the two.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Somali Sanil likes this.
  2. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I'd agree with the pedigree defo, I just think of the two Beterbiev looks to have shown the chin vulnerability, never been a problem and hes only dropped by punchers, I think hes the most gifted too, but Gassiev looks like he can take it all and take your head off in the 12th still..AB easily the best at 175

Liquorice likes this.
  3. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This content is protected

4. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Nice post and great video with Lionell Thompson. That guy summed up the light heavyweight division and the 168s in that short video in a way that only an intelligent fighter could. Thompson is a good fighter himself and his description of being in the ring sparring with Beterbiev was one of the most honest sounding sparring stories I've heard.

I have a different perspective on Beterbiev than most. I hope he doesn't take a lot of fights, just continues to prepare well when he does take one, and gets out of boxing at the right time. Same with Thompson, the guy would make a great boxing commentator.

Serge and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Thanks. I told everybody on here years ago that Thompson's record was deceptive, that he was better than it suggested and he's subsequently proven me right with his last win.

Beterbiev's age, his extensive amateur career fighting with a very aggressive style, and his stop start career in the pros (2019 was the first year since 2016 he fought more than once a year and he hasn't fought more than twice a year since 2014) has really hindered his progress and he'll likely never realize his full potential now but he still has a couple more years left to make his mark, assuming this Coronavirus business doesn't drag on too long that is because he turns 36 next January.

Pat M likes this.
  6. Liquorice

May 13, 2018
    Oh ya defo I could see Beterbiev getting hurt but I've seen a lot of LHWs move to CW & been able to take that power yet they got dropped at LHW, Adamek for example was dropped by Briggs & Dawson..

Dariusz M won a CW belt too.

Just thought it would be an interesting clash but ye the size difference could tell as Gassiev is a pretty stacked cruiser.

Somali Sanil likes this.
  7. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    AB always has fights fall apart bad juju. What are the odds he'll have a mega fight scheduled & it'll fall apart some way or another.... I remember when AB ducked Kovalev, that was a shame. Now AB would take the fight I bet, maybe ..
    The other day someone mentioned Breidis-Beterbiev, I'd love to watch that!!!

8. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Mate stop. Pac over Thurman is not as impressive as some people make it out to be. Thurman is shot to pieces and has been through injury hell and barely scraped past a C level fighter in Lopez.

9. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    One Time went into the fight against Manny with a broken rib, the fact that Gvozdyk wasn't nursing a full set of them after eating all those absolutely horrifically heavy rips downstairs from Beterbiev is nothing short of a miracle.

10. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Him an Breidis are very dangerous for anyone moving up aren't they,that jump is big too. AB makes it interesting with his attributes though, the natural power is p4p no1 u think ? Hes like thick wire, Froch I thought had that attribute just not on this mans level, where you can see the core strength in them

Liquorice likes this.
  11. Liquorice

May 13, 2018
    Froch v Beterbiev!!! Woahh.. another one.. though I'd have to pick Beterbiev.. Freakish strength versus crazy durability.. both disciplined shredded athletes too.. would be a great fight..

Power .. Cant stand Wilder but he's still up there power wise, Beterbiev, Inoue & him are probably top 3, though Beterbiev doesn't load up as much but still smashes people lol

12. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Joe Smith Jr is the hardest puncher p4p. Beterbiev is definitely the strongest p4p. Nobody even comes close to his strength and ruggedness.

13. Charles Dance

Charles Dance Member banned Full Member

Feb 26, 2020
    No.