Kal Yafai - Paper Champion

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ButeTheBeast, Feb 29, 2020.

1. ButeTheBeast

ButeTheBeast Well-Known Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
    Wow, how on earth did he become a world champion?

If it wasn't for Fury, American fans would be laughing at British boxing.

2. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It hasn’t even been five minutes since he lost and you’re already kicking him when he’s down.

Sonny1, Tankatron, Sugar 88 and 8 others like this.
  3. coolcat45

coolcat45 Active Member Full Member

Oct 21, 2018
    his corner should be fired, he did not throw a single jab the whole fight. He was standing in front of the guy with the faster hands and kept eating shots.

Holler and Scissors like this.
  4. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    He has achieved more in professional boxing than 99% of the fighters out there. Show some respect

Sonny1, Tankatron, Sugar 88 and 7 others like this.
  5. Usercom

Usercom Member banned Full Member

Jan 24, 2020
    This is what annoys me so much with casual fans. Win and you are the greatest thing ever. Lose and you are a bum.

This is how you get boxers so afraid of losing their 0 that they instead fight nobodies.

Kal Yafai went out and tried to test himself. He fell short, whether due to skill, tactics or team. However, he went out and challenged himself. That is what we should ask of all boxers. A contest has a winner and loser, it does not mean that the loser today is a bum or else we would not have some of the greatest stories in the sport. Ali losing to Frazier and then winning, Lewis losing by KO twice and then avenging his defeats. Canelo losing to Mayweather and then becoming the face of US boxing today. Sugar Ray Robinson lost I think 19 times. Etc., Etc., Etc.

All we saw from the fight today other than the result is that we have some shitty casual fans around the sport.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    DJN16, Tankatron, Sugar 88 and 15 others like this.
  6. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    There’s no shame losing to Chocalitito.

DJN16, Tankatron, Sugar 88 and 18 others like this.
  7. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Spot on. He was right up there in most peoples P4P list a few years ago. Yafai/Hearn etc were clearly gambling on him being way over the hill

8. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    He came in with the wrong approach. He must have thought he could maul the much smaller guy and tire him out, like fury did to wilder.

mcvey, Accurate and im sparticus like this.
  9. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Jay Harris put in a good effort last night.

10. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Yafai didn't go out to "test himself". Yafai after a couple of GIFT score cards thanks to Matchroom judges, went after an older, smaller fighter hoping he had nothing left. He was not fighting Estrada or Rungsavai, that would be testing himself. He was trying to take the easiest cherry pick name available and it backfired.

nurological, impacted and Jurgen like this.
  11. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The fact is that due to the plethora of belts, the world is full of 'World Champions'

There is a fighter floating in the commentary teams who smiles when he is always announced as former World Champion yet Alex Arthur never even won a World Title Fight or a World Title defence in the ring.

Bit like me sitting next to Kate Moss on a bus and claiming we are an item.

12. Usercom

Usercom Member banned Full Member

Jan 24, 2020
    And this is typical of the dumbness and shifting goalposts of the absolute casual. What do you think the winner of this fight was going to do whether it was Yafai or Gonzalez? They were going to try to setup a fight with either Estrada or RUNGVISAI (not Rungsavai). That is what Gonzalez is now going to do and that is what Yafai was going to do if he won.

Instead we have criticism of Yafai for not fighting either Estrada or RUNGVISAI. You do know that he cannot fight all three at once or in your world does Yafai have of fight all three on the same night. Like I said, CASUAL!

And just to note, I am not even a big Yafai fan. I just get annoyed at fans sh!tting on fighters for trying to achieve something. You can criticise any fighter on technique, skill, etc., however uniformed stupidity is never a good characteristic.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  13. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I didn't criticize him for fighting Chocolatito. I said it isn't some noble valiant act to fight Chocolatito. I am not giving him credit as a long running world champion for fighting a challenger.

14. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I’m sure that hurts him much more than the defeat to Gonzalez...

Little brian likes this.
  15. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’m surprised the cynics haven’t jumped on this a bit more like to be honest. A British World Champion going over as a “sacrificial lamb” (see thread from a year or two ago) to help boost Eddie Hearn’s matchroom USA stable. Matchroom UK / SKY are weaker and have lost a champion because of it, however! DAZN and Matchroom USA...
    This content is protected

Jurgen likes this.