Kal Yafai WBA 115-lb Champ

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by DannyBhoy, Dec 11, 2016.

1. DannyBhoy

DannyBhoy Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2016
    Near-faultless performance from Yafai last night against a consensus top-10 fighter. Yes, Concepcion wasn't his best on the night but it shouldn't detract from Kal's achievement. To jump up so many levels and put on a display like that in your first world-title bout is truly remarkable. How do you think he fares against the likes of Gonzalez, Estrada, Cuadras, Inoue and Ancajas? Hope to see him in those big fights very soon.

Subak likes this.
  2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
  3. DannyBhoy

DannyBhoy Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2016
    I'd fancy him against Ancajas, at least.

Subak likes this.
  4. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Many seemingly knowledgeable posters picked Concepcion to beat Yafai. They even boasted on here about the good odds they had got to bet against Yafai. I was shocked and amazed by this. I can't understand how people failed to see his talent. He was ..and is...a very good world class fighter. I seriously doubt anyone would destroy him. Maybe beat him, but not destroy him.

Subak likes this.
  5. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I was one of them len i d never seen either yafai or conception before was just going based on their respective records. Looked to me like it would be a bridge too far. But yafai made a fan of me last night...well impressed. Very good fighter that could have a good future ahead of him...reminded me a bit like brook at times.

Ilesey likes this.
  6. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I understand the brook comparison but think he is better tbh. Impressive performance.

bbjc likes this.
  7. Ike-Man

Ike-Man Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    What makes you say that?

8. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I reckon he could at least hold his own with most in the division.

9. On_The_Ropes

On_The_Ropes Active Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Incredible performance by Yafai last night, deserves all the plaudits for winning so convincing against a very good opponent.

Gonzales & Inoue would be a bridge too far at this point but the rest of those names I would give Yafai a chance against. Really excited to see this kid in some big fights in the future.

10. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I think he can stay with a lot of top guys, at least for a while. Good selection of punches, speed and movement. Would like to see how he fares against someone like Srisaket or Kono before discussing how he might fare in unification matches, though.

11. DSG496

DSG496 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 23, 2014
    i thought he was really good, i was surprised at how easily he won. Rather than looking for unification it may be worth going up a weight which is 3lbs and having a crack at haskins.

On a side note there has barely been a whisper in the local media about this, he's Birminghams first world champion for god knows how long. i hoped the local media would promote boxing and Kal a bit more.

Subak likes this.
  12. On_The_Ropes

On_The_Ropes Active Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Yeah I've noticed he hasn't got as much exposure as I thought he would, not enough people care about the lower weights in this country, with the exception being Naseem Hamed but he was different class.

13. Subak

Subak Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Was an awesome performance, Concepcion is legit. I'd fancy him over Ancajas and he'd be a tough test for anyone in the division. Really big and strong for the weight, comparisons to Brook are obvious to see. It's too bad he isn't getting more attention because he could very well be one of the most skilled British fighters currently, just needs more experience at the top level.