Kambosos vs Haney Worst Promoted Fight Ever

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bowerboy, May 19, 2022.

1. bowerboy

bowerboy Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    I live in Australia and we are 2 weeks out from the fight and you would never know it was happening.

No one will go to the fight and no one will watch it on TV purely because no one knows it’s happening.

Please don’t ever do another fight in Australia. We don’t deserve it.

2. BoxingDialogue

BoxingDialogue Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Was Pacquiao vs Horn well promoted?

3. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Ticket sales don't sound like they are doing great.

I think maybe it was a bit ambitious to assume George could fill a stadium whilst his profile is still growing.
    Boxing is pretty niche down here these days and I think they should have aimed for a more reasonable venue.
    Kostya couldn't fill that stadium and that was towards the end of his career when he was a household name in Australia.
    Loma would have sold better I think. Haney isn't even that popular in his own state.

4. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I had no idea the fight was 2 weeks away, damn

TipNom, Astaxanthin and DaRealJT like this.
  5. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Pacquiao basically sold that fight.

Kambosos has a little bit if a profile, Haney has none.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  6. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It seemed to be, was a fair bit of hype on tv etc.

7. TheVet

TheVet Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Kambosos a delusional fool boasted 80,000 Australians will fill up the stadium. I am happy its flopping I hope they lose money. Will be fun seeing them have a rematch in Australia again,.

DaRealJT and Koli55 like this.
  8. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Honestly, you are right, we don't. We've had some great fighters over the years but for the last 2 to 3 decades, Oz has become quite illiterate when it comes to boxing. In general, nobody here cares except the hardcores that you find here!

9. TheVet

TheVet Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    WTF would Loma had sold better? No one knows who he is in Australia? Lmao! Serioulsy Loma fans are deluded.

10. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Haney is not a well known name even in the States. That's a fact.

Loma is a 2 time Olympic Gold medallist and most of his fights are shown for free(no extra) on the main pay T.V channel in Oz. There are about 5 million subscribers to those services. Not sure what DAZN has in Australia but it wouldn't be anywhere near that.

Like 5 people in that stadium will be cheering on Haney. Whilst the Ukrainian community in Australia is small you can bet on it a few thousand would have sold their gold fillings to get to that fight.

There was more coverage about Lomachenko not being able to take they fight then there has been about Haney taking it

vast and MidniteProwler like this.
  11. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    Don't blame that mess on Haney. That's Kambozo's territory. They should be lining up to see thier homie.

kirk, pacas, KO KIDD and 2 others like this.
  12. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
  13. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Thats what I'm saying it 100% on Kambosos to get the crowds in because it's not like Pac-Horn where the opponent was so well known.

That's why I believe and have said previously they were possibly to ambitious to expect a sold out stadium fight when George was relatively unknown not very long ago.

14. zelky

zelky Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 4, 2007
    There will be AT LEAST 45 000 Greek Australians at the show. Melbourne is the second capital of Greece.

15. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Knowing quite a few Greeks (I'm married to one) they will either try to buy the tickets cash and demand a reduced price or they will wait to the week of the fight when the nosebleed seats get reduced.

Quite a few whispers that there are a lot of tickets to be sold.

zelky and Sandman_ like this.