Katie Taylor

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Hattonmad, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    She looked gassed very quickly last night - not sure whether this was the constant pressure or something else.

lencoreastside likes this.
  2. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    The worst part is people actually go along with this type of hyperbole as well as parroting what Sky and matchroom tell them about her. She just got beat up by a windmilling traffic warden in what for women's boxing was a unification fight for all the belts:lol:. Yeah, real high level stuff and well worthy of being on a £20 PPV.

But in this day and age people are terrified of just telling it like it is - which is that watching women fight is terrible, women aren't built for fighting like men are and the vast majority of people aren't interested in it.

AJH, Up the gut and hitandhope like this.
  3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I don’t understand why people who don’t like women’s boxing because they’re hardcase macho men even bother to comment on these threads?!

Was a scrappy fight, Katie Taylor throws nice combos but if you’re tough and happy to take one to land one she’s wide open, as was shown last night. Personally thought she should have jabbed and moved more rathe than throwing flashy combos but coming out of them even at best...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    BigStiffIdiot likes this.
  4. cam2010

cam2010 Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Both Katie and Delfine showed serious lack of skill last night,did either of them throw and land an eye catching body shot. Delphine was tripping over her own feet all night long.
    I’m not so sure that training in America works for Katie after having so much success with her father in the corner.

5. unitas

unitas Boxing Addict Full Member

May 12, 2007
    poor Delphine......she got robbed.

pow likes this.
  6. Blue Bomber

Blue Bomber Gold Member banned Full Member

May 10, 2019
    it was a great fight, very enjoyable to watch. Best womens fight Ive seen.

Delphine did deserve the win.

But that will do a lot of good for womens boxing, because more people will be open to watching it. Defo gonna follow both their careers now.

7. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Katie is normally super fit, but she was showing visible signs of tiring very early in the fight. In my view no opponent, no matter how good could get Katie that tired that soon if she was 100% going into the fight. But that's just my opinion. Maybe Katie was 100% fit and is just getting old. Certainly the opponent Persoon was incredibly fit and brave and tough. Hopefully there's a rematch. Persoon deserves one. Katie is agreeable, but it will depend on a lot of factors.

Twentyman and Jurgen like this.
  8. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    In fairness cam, Katie did show skill. She repeatedly made persoon look crude and miss wildly, often causing her to stumble past her like a drunk in a bar fight after missing wildly. People forget that. This is boxing, the game of hit and not get hit. Persoon missed wildly an awful lot. Her badly marked face told the story that Katie's punches weren't missing. I would have thought you ...and many of the others commenting would appreciate that cam. Persoon may have matched, or even surpassed Katie in terms of aggressive attacks, but she was very exposed defensively. Katie should be getting credit for this, but isn't.

I do agree she should have "boxed clever" a lot more, and this decision to get involved .. whether intentionally or due to lack of fitness, or due to the opponent....very nearly cost her the fight.

Hopefully the rematch happens.

9. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I think it was against McCaskill where I thought she was struggling with the pace, with McCaskill having some success late (need to rewatch if it was that fight).

I think she's just getting older now as well so it's going to get tougher, combine that with the talent pool getting slowly bigger and better also.

Bellew touched the nail on the head, when he basically said she needs to conserve her energy better, especially early on in a fight.

On a side note didnt persoon come inside 4lb within the limit? She looked big compared to Taylor and she's coming in that much lighter then the limit.

10. cam2010

Apr 16, 2011
    Katie did not make Persoon look crude with her skill ,the woman is very crude ,her footwork is atrocious and I think she has only got so far with her relentless pressure with wild punches. Katie should have not got involved in a slugfest she is better than that. I’m sure if her Father was in her corner he would have told her in no uncertain terms.

lencoreastside likes this.
  11. cam2010

Apr 16, 2011
    It was McCaskill

kojak likes this.
  12. jhar26

jhar26 Member Full Member

Dec 23, 2004
    I had it five for Persoon, four for Taylor and one even. Whether I'm right or wrong about my score, it was undeniably highly competitive and I knew beforehand that if it was close they would give the nod to Katie because she's marketable while Persoon has the charisma of a sack of cement.

lencoreastside and Jurgen like this.
  13. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    It was a cracking fight and I thought Taylor was going to go down a couple of times.

jhar26 likes this.
  14. jhar26

jhar26 Member Full Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Well, if the women would fight three minute rounds I don't think she would have survived. But perhaps that's not fair because then she probably would have fought a different fight.

Jurgen likes this.
  15. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    When macklin has her losing you know she got well beaten, he's the most Irish eyed commentator going,

Jurgen and jhar26 like this.