Kell Brook set to announce retirement in the next 48 hours?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MidniteProwler, Jun 17, 2019.

1. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Brook looked shot in his last fight. Timing was his best weapon and at his peak there were few better at timing shots. But against Zerafa his timing was all over the place. Hope he does retire, although Khan will claim it's proof Kell was running from him....

2. notjustacasual

notjustacasual Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    No he actually did say "get me ggg" that's a fact then Hearn made that fight later on but brook asked for it previouslt

3. DoubleJab666

Nov 9, 2015

That's not how things transpired. You only have to piece together the background to see why this fight was made. Why did Hearn sign try to sign CEJ to fight GGG - and deal with the notoriously hard to work with Eubank Snr - if he already had Brook on his books wanting to take the fight? lol

Loudon likes this.
  4. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    He made a lot of money from GGG and Spence fights

5. Leeroy84

Leeroy84 Lancashire-la-la-la Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Kells come out today on IG saying that he's not retiring and that he's looking for the big fights still (Bud C being the most recent attempt)

Good on him, no one can say the lad is scared but that GGG fight ruined his eye, and then that headbutt against Spence, geez I had him up until then too

I wish Kell all the best, he's a class fighter and has heart... I just hope he's got a little more in the tank and those two big losses haven't ruined him completely. I'm not convinced those eye sockets will hold out sadly.

6. KO Artist

KO Artist Do not attempt to adjust your TV Full Member

Aug 29, 2018
    He has heart aplenty. He went up two weight divisions and fought the biggest and most feared puncher there (GGG). He took the fight to GGG but eventually started to get beat down. But you know what? Even though he was 2 divisions smaller than other GGG opponents, unlike most of them he never once went down and had to be stopped by his corner.
    What does he do then?...only goes on to fight undefeated P4P candidate Errol Spence, winning the early rounds but succumbing to another broken eye socket.
    Please don't sit there and judge guys like this. It's not like Walters in the Loma fight who just got a little frustrated and gave up. Kell had both eye sockets broke and busted putting his sight at risk. The guy was in severe pain and could barely see.

Leeroy84 likes this.
  7. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I wonder how much training he does these days. Maybe he just does one camp before he fights, like Khan.
    Sergio Martinez lost his edge due to injuries. He mostly did rehabilitation and rarely any real boxing. So by the time fight camp started, he was rusty and out of shape.

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  8. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah, those late nights in Marbella bars eventually take their toll.

9. DoubleJab666

Nov 9, 2015

Brook frustrates the hell out of me; what a waste of talent. But he's mainly got himself to blame. Spent the first 10-15 fights of his career not taking it seriously - until the first Jones fight - hung around at 147 despite struggling to do the weight (he fought loads of times over 150 in his early fights) because someone persuaded him if he moved up a division he would move down the queue, finally got a title and then got stabbed celebrating, or should I say 'celebrating'...

Then he fought GGG at 160 on some ego trip - even though I think he had his arm twisted - and got his face broke, agreed to go back to 147 and took on Spence and broke it again - fair enough, that was brave but jeez two P4P'ers back-to-back two weight classes apart is brave going on stupid (fought in a THIRD division in a row the next fight) and then after the losses got all hung up on Khan, probably because he knew he was cooked and Amir was a pay day and even more shot than him.

Khan getting money thrown at him like confetti for an exhibition fight was probably the final straw (no need to face Brook) if this rumour about retirement is true, because Kell must have known how bad he looked last time out. At his best he used to land back hand leads on elite boxers for fun but he was literally windmilling against Zerafa and finding fresh air.

Take your point though, maybe he can't train like he wants to. Probably can't train that hard eating a piece of lettuce a day...

Badbot likes this.
  10. Gymbot

Gymbot Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Brook himself has denied the claims...

"I am not sure where these reports have surfaced but I have not retired," Brook posted. "Me and my team have been trying to secure big fights."

The Sheffield fighter - who has 38 wins and two defeats - added: "We went to New York because we want to fight Crawford.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48676045

11. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Sure, I agree with that hypothetical.

It doesn't take away from the fact that Brook's only motivation for fighting was cashing out against Khan. Amir Khan was his ONLY money grab while Khan can go fight some Indian dishwasher and still make the same money.

Brook should have tried to carve his own destiny years ago instead of trying to forge a legacy based on the Khan fight. Khan NEVER wanted it (until he was totally cornered) and Brook should have read the signals years ago.

critix and 305th like this.
  12. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Or can't reap the benefits of Ingle's Gym Juice anymore.......

13. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    So he's not tired yet (re- or otherwise)

Bring on Crawford! :ggg

14. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Explain to me how Khan is fighting for a wbc strap when he ain't vada enrolled and as ariza back in his corner
    Ummmmmmmm

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  15. DoubleJab666

Nov 9, 2015
    Yeah... there is that.