KELLY v MOLINA

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by moog, Mar 7, 2018.

1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I saw a YouTube clip about Kelly titled something like 'This Boxer Has Scientists Baffled' or some nonsense. That sort of thing really does nothing to aid the prospects

moog and Amazing one like this.
  2. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    That wasn't a subtle or not so subtle dig at you or anyone really, if folk believe in Kelly then he will sell & I agree with that, especially in the North East. He'd sell there right now probably, he has a product & a good style. I'm not disputing that part with anyone.

By I see comments on Twitter and one yesterday on another message board saying beating Molina puts him in the world level mix. What? Nah, you are joking surely. He's a decent talent who fights a little different & people get excited but they are getting way ahead of themselves.

Do poll on twitter. Better prospect, Taylor or Kelly? I think Kelly wins poll hands down. But honestly, I think he's levels below Taylor who is very complete, he just needs rounds/seasoning for highest level. But skills, actual skills it's not close IMHO.

Scissors likes this.
  3. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    It's propaganda bull. Break down film on him, slow the footage down. I've watched technical breakdowns on him online & nobody denies he has some skills but relating to the hype, he doesn't come close to justifying it but that's not his fault. Seems like a likeable guy who just want to fight, I have no issue with him. But man, the hype has to slow down.

4. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    One thing that’s overlooked is level of opposition. Not who they’ve fought but who’s infront of them. Crawford has just cleaned out super lightweight and there’s not much out there other than Garcia and lipinets. The welterweight division is stacked though, even before when I listed them all I forgot Crawford and Pacquiao.

Wouldn’t that be great? Get Kelly a few more fights then At the end of the year get Pacquiao to headline the o2 against him?

5. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    That's best way to build him to be fair, known names who are past their best. The division is stacked just now, he'll be waiting a while to move on to very top level.

6. BAWA1980

BAWA1980 Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2017
    As far as the current prospects go, Josh Kelly looks to me like the pick of them.

I'm happy they have stepped him up this quickly, it looks like a good fight to me. I might even buy the PPV now, not that interested in the main event,

7. BAWA1980

Nov 29, 2017
    Please tell us what you saw in the slowed down clips. It's easy to say that you have found some, but without the technical run down of your findings, this message could be construed as a load of nonsense.

What if I just said that I have slowed the footage down, and found no weakness whatsoever. There is no basis for that, but it is just as valid as your post.

8. thegoat177

thegoat177 New Member Full Member

Nov 20, 2017
    It isn't difficult to become a boxing expert these days. A quick Boxrec search shows you all need in most match ups and fans know if they are being ripped off. Hearn has twigged onto this recently and thus we are seeing much better matchmaking. (Warren take note)

Good point raised above about Matchroom nurturing their next generation of PPV fighters, Kelly's obviously being included on that list and I can't wait to see him step up.

Scissors likes this.
  9. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    think people have got a bit too caught up in Kellys flashiness against lesser opposition. i know it was amateur but he was fighting Deniyar Yeleussinov with a high guard, dropped the guard and tried to fight how he has been in the pros and very quickly got hit with a combination and went back to the high guard immediately, and i've seen that happen in a few fights. I personally favour Cordina as the best prospect from the GB Olympic set-up, alongside Buatsi

Amazing one likes this.
  10. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    How can you not be that interested in the main event when it’s #1 v #3 heavyweight in the world! Yet a novice fighter would tip the scales and make you buy the PPV haha!

11. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    To be honest it’s the first thing I do. When I see “Yarde v Averlant” and know nothing about him I check his boxrec ranking and his previous fights.

With Molina the first things that stand out are the fact he’s ranked 39 I think as opposed to Kelly in 93. He’s never been stopped but he’s also not a big puncher. Sounds like a perfect opponent.

12. Amazing one

Jan 14, 2013
    Firstly, that's the whole point of a forum. Debate. Second, I've never proclaimed to be an expert but have tried Boxing/Sparring & although I was very poor, that aided with being a fan of the sport means I simply enjoy breaking down fights/fighters to get an idea of what skills they possess & importantly how they use them. And having been in a ring, it gives you a sense of what fighters do to set up shots/traps/bait/probe etc & how they take away you're strong points etc

Kelly. Probes a little with the jab, not a lot. Probing can offset the opponent by making them think you are going to set something up, or are going to commit to an attack or move. It can deter an opponent or blind them of your set up.

Feints. Doesn't use a lot. Feints allow you to gauge the opponents reactions to you're feints, may get them out of position & can be used to conceal attacks or get your opponent to change their guard, giving you a read on their behaviours.

Baiting. Yeah, he baits by lowering his gloves and arms while maintaining a fight distance & gives deception he is open to certain shots. He cuts off the ring fine.

Speed is decent, power is decent, he knows how to counter but he's not as accurate as it looks at full speed & he gets hit with silly shots he's walked on to now and again. At the highest level you have to pro actively IMO set your'e shots up or use baiting/traps to set up counters by reading how youre opponent reacts to certain situations.

Josh doesn't use his jab that well to set up attacks, he has a habbit of leading off without feinting/baiting/jab to set up his shots & that will lead to counters at a higher level, not even world level.

All in my opinion though. You're opinion might be he is best prospect in the world, mine is he's not even close.

Scissors likes this.
  13. Shrewd_dude

Shrewd_dude Active Member Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Moline priced at 16/1 with bookies and Kelly 1/41.

14. BAWA1980

Nov 29, 2017
    Because I don't think that Parker is going to be much of a challenge to AJ. I was on the fence on buying it, but this has pricked my interest a little more to parting with the money. Is that ok?

Scissors likes this.
  15. BAWA1980

Nov 29, 2017
    That's fair enough.

Do you think that young inexperienced boxers show all their attributes in their first few fights, or do they develop with every fight? Is a young boxer supposed to be perfect, or will he learn things from watching those videos back in slow mo with his trainer to put right what he is doing wrong?

Or is it that he has these flaws now, he always will, there is nothing he can do to remove them from his game?

Amazing one likes this.