Ken Buchanan vs Esteban de Jesús

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, May 20, 2018.

1. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
  2. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ken wins by close UD.....assuming all potential b@ll shots do not occur.

red cobra likes this.
  3. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Is there any exusable reason for Duran apparently ducking Buchanan?

red cobra likes this.
  4. Longhhorn71

Jan 6, 2007
    Throw in the Wilfred Benitez vs Duran fight at 140 lbs when both fighters were in NYC for a period of time.
    Both fights just didn't happen for some reason.

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Buchanan wins this one easier than one might think....I'm really surprised that this match up never took place.

Longhhorn71 and jowcol like this.
  6. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Hi Red! Forgive my ignorance but I've often wondered why Ken, post-Duran, never was considered a 'major' contender after that? I've looked at his record; he fought on but...never got 'title worthy' again?
    Was his 'moxie' gone after Duran?
    I agree with you on a fight with Estaban. He was more of a technique type of fighter, not a Duran brawler so, IMO, that would give Ken time to establish his skills.
    A Ken UD seems logical to me...at that time.
    Need help in educating me...:(

7. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    He was offered a rematch in Panama, lowball purse (but Duran only made $35K when he fought Ken for the title) and Ken turned it down ... decided to stay on the Euro circuit instead of taking another beating.

Reinhardt and Nighttrain like this.
  8. Nighttrain

Nov 7, 2011

Makes sense, I could square Duran ducking.

9. Longhhorn71

Jan 6, 2007
    A rematch is mentioned in this Duran interview post-fight:
    This content is protected

10. Longhhorn71

Jan 6, 2007
    Durán refused to honor the contract to face Buchanan
    In his next fight, Buchanan beat former 3 time world champion Carlos Ortiz by a knockout in six, also at the MSG on 20 September 1972.[16]

Buchanan finished 1972 with a win over Chang Kil Lee on 4 December 1972.[17]

On 28 June 1972, Roberto Durán signed to defend it against Buchanan on 20 October 1972. However, Durán broke that agreement when the Panamanian Government insisted he made his first defense in Panama. He did, knocking out Jimmy Robertson on 20 January 1973.[18]

Duran also had signed a second contract with the MSG on 25 October 1972, to defend against Buchanan on or before 30 June 1973.[18]

But Durán broke that agreement again. Durán had his license suspended by the New York State Athletic Commission on 4 April 1973. The commission also warned Durán that his title recognition would be withdrawn.[18]

The New York State Athletic Commission had been attempting for two years (1972 - 1974) to get Duran to honor an agreement to fight Buchanan. But Durán refused to honor the contract to face Buchanan.[18][19][20][21][22][23]
    https://www.nytimes.com/1973/04/05/archives/people-in-sports-duran-barred.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/1973/04/27/...uran-red-smith-the-rating-game-continent.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/1973/07/11/archives/people-in-sports-beliveau-turns-down-wha-smillion.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/1974/08/13/archives/dooley-says-duran-bout-may-be-off.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/1974/08/14/...uran-bout-ultimatum-endangers-duran-bout.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/1974/08/15/archives/verbal-jabs-end-duran-bout.html

11. Nighttrain

Nov 7, 2011

Is your take Duran ducked him, or was it about the business of boxing getting in the way?

Reinhardt and Longhhorn71 like this.
  12. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Prime for prime it's a brilliant fight, one that's been done a few times on here over the years. The sharp offensive talent and left hook of De Jesus with his smooth slip &counter approach versus the jab, mobility, strength and stamina of Buchanan. I could see De Jesus getting off to an early lead, slipping inside Ken's jab at times to try and counter in combination and establish his left hook with Buchanan trying to establish his jab and dictate range. Both were skilled infighters though, Buchanan very underrated in that sense, and although DeJesus hit harder and a shade more accurately with both hands, Buchanan was flint-hard, bigger and stronger. At the top level in spite of his skill he often got pulled into fights and actually won out via his insane work rate, physical size and endurance in the championship rounds, which is where I suspect he might overhaul Esteban late in the fight as he did with Laguna twice. DeJesus wasn't a big lightweight and Buchanan's strength would probably exact a toll late on.

13. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Going past the tenth round I'd imagine De Jesus to be in front by a small margin as he often was over that sort of distance. It's more what happens when Buchanan's late charge kicks in. Even in the insane heat in the first Laguna fight where he had no shade between rounds, his output went up round by round from the tenth onwards and he overhauled Laguna with sheer endurance.

14. Longhhorn71

Jan 6, 2007
    When I re-read the NYC newspaper articles, and watched the tape of Duran post-fight seeing how really young he was at the time, and now remembering that the NYSAC was much more powerful at the time, then I think it was more of an issue of Panama based WBA getting involved behind the scenes and not wanting to lose a potential great fighter to the "Yankees del Norte".

Virtually all of Duran's initial defenses of his title against competitive challengers, were in Panama, though he did go to San Juan, Miami Beach, Philly, & Las Vegas at the end of his lightweight title reign.

Note that the Duran vs DeJesus NON-TITLE fight, occurred just 5 months AFTER his win over Buchanan, and Duran was beaten, and the fight occurred in NYC.

This may have been an effort to placate the NYSAC, re: the Buchanan rematch, but didn't work.

Duran obviously wasn't afraid of KB as a boxer, so you must assume it was all "Boxing Politics".

972-11-17 : Roberto Duran 137½ lbs lost to Esteban De Jesus138 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
    "The crowd of almost 10,000 had hardly calmed down from the introductions when Esteban DeJesus smashed lightweight champion Roberto Duran with a left hook, depositing Roberto on the seat of his pants in their non-title 10-rounder. Roberto never was able to shake off the effects of that left hook and DeJesus was in solid control of the fight throughout. Esteban's combinations, highlighted by his left hook, kept Duran off-balance and unsure of himself, although Roberto did land a few solid whacks himself. However, his punches lacked steam and he never did get an opportunity to launch into his street-fighting style. In fact, only in the 8th round, when a right to the eye made DeJesus clinch, did Roberto seem to be going anywhere." - World Boxing, March 1973

Unofficial scorecards (all for DeJesus)

• World Boxing: 6-2-2
    • UPI: 7-2-1
    • AP: 5-4-1

Nighttrain likes this.
  15. Nighttrain

Nov 7, 2011
    Thank you! I appreciate your thorough answer. It is crazy looking back at how young “Rocky”Duran looked when he took the title! Looking back I was surprised to see how little he had fought outside of Panama prior to the bout.
    It’s been a while since I watch the fight and typically I was looking to see the foul, but the footage doesn’t reveal anything conclusive. It’s funny I don’t recall much outrage over the lack of a rematch. It’s not like Buchanan disappeared and it would’ve been a big moneymaker.

Closing the loop, I would have to say I would have to bet on Buchanan to win decisively.

Last edited: May 23, 2018