Ken Buchanan vs. Ismael Laguna I full fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ChrisJS, Mar 24, 2019.

1. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    This content is protected

Just dropped this to YouTube. A fight that I personally had always wanted and searched for but didn’t find until a few months ago.

2. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Thank you!! Been wanting to see it forever.

ChrisJS and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  3. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Thanks I got rid of my collection like a dummy last time I moved. I had trouble locating this one and have regretted getting rid of it

ChrisJS likes this.
  4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I dumped plastic tubs full of VHS fights I had acculated from the 1970s through 1990s when I moved. No use storing them — I’m sure much of it is on YouTube anyway, except for some local fights that I regrets losing but had no time to dig through — as they’d been sitting in that basement for years and I had never once gone down to find a tape and connect the old player and play them.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  5. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Awesome!! ALWAYS wanted to see this!

Thanks so much!

ChrisJS likes this.
  6. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ismael Laguna vs. Ken Buchanan (1st meeting)
    (Redirected from Fight:62963)
    1970-09-26 : Ismael Laguna 134½ lbs lost to Ken Buchanan 134 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
    • WBA World Lightweight Title (second defense by Laguna)
    • Buchanan ignored the BBoC's order not to fight Laguna
    • WBC stripped Laguna on September 15, 1970. Source AP 9/16/1970. UPI reported the WBC said Laguna had to fight Mando Ramos instead, so they stripped him and matched Ramos and Carrasco.
    • NYSAC recognized this bout as championship one on OCt 5, 1970
    "Scotland's Ken Buchanan came on strong in the final rounds yesterday to wrest the world lightweight title from Panama's Ismael Laguna on a split decision in a spirited 15 round bout. It was close all the way. Laguna, bobbing and weaving, carried the fight to the standup challenger, fighting in the classic style. Laguna scored with chopping right leads and short blows inside. Buchanan, moving in behind a snapping left jab, came on in the 5th and 6th rounds. From the 12th on Buchanan dominated the fight. In the 12th he shook the champ with a series of solid shots to the head that forced Laguna to hold. Encouraged by his success, Buchanan pressed on with follow-ups that Laguna couldn't block." -Associated Press

Newspaper articles
    After this fight
    Then, Ken Buchanan needed to be recognized from WBC, because British Boxing Board Of Control had joined only WBC. He negotiated with Mando Ramos and WBC. WBC accepted "Buchanan vs. Ramos" as WBC Lightweight Championship fight.

• "Buchanan's bout approved". The Times. [[London, England, United Kingdom]], [[1970-11-17]]. p.14.
    However, Ramos canceled two days before the fight.

• "Buchanan to meet new challenger". The Times. [[London, England, United Kingdom]], [[1971-02-11]]. p.10.
    Ruben Navarro, the third WBA and the fourth WBC contender, fought instead of Ramos on 12 February 1971.

ChrisJS likes this.
  7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    You're a legend Chris.

ChrisJS likes this.