Ken Buchanan vs Vasyl Lomachenko

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DavidBarnes, Apr 6, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Duran became more refined by the time he met DeJesus the third time, that`s why he got beat by DeJesus in his first clash with him and was knocked down in their second clash, he went on to learn a bit more tact which Loma has.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Buchanh style is all wrong for a fight against Loma, on the back foot Loma isn`t as good, you have to find a way to push him back and that`s the opposite of Ken`s style, you can`t beat Loma by sticking and moving.

3. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019

4. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    What makes you say that ? Arguello beat Jim at the end of his career, his last fight in fact but at no point was he able to toy with him.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  5. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    One thing is for sure, this would have been a quality fight. Lomachenko, let's be clear, would give any Fighter between Featherweight and Light Welter problems. His high output and incredible accuracy means an opponent spends a lot of time defending or avoiding punches.
    Ken was a fine Champion with excellent fundamentals. Great jab, footwork and ring generalship but he also, especially during his time in the States, made a speciality of winning wars of attrition. In the first Laguna fight and the Navarro fight, Buchanan put continual pressure on both men and winning the exchanges. He just sickened Ortiz into retiring on his stool.
    Against Lomachenko, Ken would use his tight defence in the early stages to catch and block the incoming shots while walking Loma down and tying him up. Gradually, as he drew Loma's sting he would start to land counters and draw him into punch trades where he would use his advantages in reach and power.
    If it's 12 rounds it's Lomachenko. Over 15 I'll take Buchanan.

6. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

7. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I know that I am not allowed to start a thread for some ungodly reason, but I would love to see a match between prime Roberto Duran 1974 vs prime Loma at 135 lbs, 15 rounds, if someone wanted to start a thread.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  8. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Buchanan wasn’t just about stick and move, and bear in mind he was high quality in that style, he could go into the trenches and force the fight if need be, he was hard as nails.
    I repeat either way this is a hard fight for Loma, those dismissing Buchanan here, simply know nothing about boxing.

9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Would anyone think Loma could survive 15 rounds with Duran ? I don't see him hearing the cards.