Ken Norton vs Bert Cooper

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Prime for prime who wins? I’d honestly give it to smokin Bert here based on the fact that Norton never did well against power punchers, he actually performed horribly against power punchers, but overall he is much more skilled. I would still put my money on Bert though, who takes it?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Intriguing match and very close. Both were similar in several noteworthy ways. Naturally, I would pick Norton though. Inside, I believe Cooper is the better man. But Norton had a great jab and if he could keep Bert outside, the day would be won, though still very hard for Norton.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I'm a fan of Bert Cooper, but let's get real. He never beat fighter of Norton's level. So if we're talking about prime Norton (not the one who fought LeDoux and Cooney), he beats Cooper, maybe gets knocked down but still wins. And most likely by stoppage.

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Norton decisively. Cooper of the Holyfield, Mercer and Moorer fights would make it extremely fun to watch, though.

5. RightLeftCombo

RightLeftCombo Active Member Full Member

Feb 21, 2019
    It's a good one. Ken in his prime was a better package than Bert and while Cooper has a puncher's chance in a shootout, Norton should have enough to take this.

6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Good scrap. Cooper likes to get in there, as does Ken.
    Bert's got a decent punch but I see it being Kenny that does the damage.
    Norton by 7 rounds tko.

7. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    Cooper was pretty durable as well. Went twelve rounds brutal rounds with prime Mercer and survived huge onslaughts from Holyfield. Cooper was extremely inconsistent

8. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Obviously, I love Smokin' Bert. Went to many of his fights live. But, Norton is the better fighter here, and, would likely stop Cooper in the later rounds.

9. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
  10. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Gotta lean towards Cooper as Norton was not A-level against punchers, and Bert could crack.

11. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    You sure? Cooper almost stopped a prime Holyfield, who’s all round similar but much better than Norton. Holyfield also performed much better against power punchers

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe Ledoux was better than we thought. That could be why Norton struggled. We here on www.boxingforum24.com may need to reevaluate Scott Ledoux.

13. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Bert Cooper beat the undefeated Joe Savage. Norton had been defeated before.....make of that what you will.

This content is protected

14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree.

RightLeftCombo likes this.
  15. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I would be pulling for Bert. Hell, I had 50 Bert Cooper hats and t-shirts made for the Holyfield bout, and, handed them out to people before the fight to raise awareness of him. But, a win for him against Norton is extremely unlikely. I don't really agree that Holyfield is MUCH better than Norton. I think a fight between Holyfield and Norton could go either way, and, is likely to be very close. Norton was an excellent fighter.

Big Ukrainian likes this.