Ken Norton -vs- Floyd Patterson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Holmes' Jab, Jul 4, 2007.

1. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Anyway, Patterson is too fast for the flatfooted Norton. Once Patterson gets going norton wouldn't know where to find him. And once Floyd connects with his famous gazelle left hook it's lights-out for Norton.

Floyd Patterson KO 8 Ken Norton:good

2. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ali was totally unprepared for 1st Norton fight, he almost didn't train at all (as Norton was supposed to be an easy fight for him, another bum of the month club fight). The second fight, people who knew Ali well at the time already said he was no longer the fighter he was, he was shot. Holyfield was coming off a close fight with Lennox Lewis, and went on to beat Hasim Rahman afterwards.
    Ali a better fighter? You gotta be kidding.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Right. Norton was better than Ruiz.

4. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I think this is a close'un to call. Both fighters have average jaws, and both could bang hard so a win for either inside the distance might be likely. Patterson had the definite edge on speed and boxing skills, whilst Norton was a very powerful, awkward and versatile fighter who crowded opponents and proved an absolute headache to keep safely at bay.

If Patterson chooses to box smart he'd probably stop or outpoint Norton, if he tries to brawl- Norton has the style and agressive style to take him out. I'll stick to my instinct and say that Patterson stop him late on.

Patterson TKO10 Norton

5. newurban99

newurban99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Floyd was usually exciting. I don't know why you think a match against Norton would be a snore unless you think Norton makes like an octopus and holds Floyd all night.

6. newurban99

newurban99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Disagree. Patterson had excellent stamina. In his entire career he never lost a fight in the late rounds. I could see Floyd getting off the canvas to stop Norton in the late rounds. That seems more likely to me.

7. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Floyd takes this. He's criminally underrated here, IMO.

8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I think Kenny would stop him, I think he's the more robust of the two.