Ken Norton vs Holyfield, Both physical perfection,and simular styles..

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TheSouthpaw, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I don't the like the twisting if words there. Norton lost to a prime Holmes in a close fight. Holyfield beat an old Holmes in a competative fight.

2. Meazy-E

Meazy-E Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Holyfield wins early rounds and takes the fight by TD because the fight would be stopped midway from either a cut or a massive knot bigger than my ballsack that would form around one of Norton's eyes from repeated headbutts from Evan Fields...err.. I mean Evander Holyfield.

3. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

Not forgetting that Ken was slightly passed it when he fought Larry.

4. turbotime

turbotime Hall Of Famer Full Member

May 4, 2012
    Great ****ing fight. I like Holyfield in this one, maybe even a late stoppage.

5. DaveK

DaveK Vicious & Malicious Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    If you're talking about impressive physiques, Holyfield and Norton are a good shout. Why not throw Mike Weaver in the mix if its only physiques we're talking about?

:oops:

Holyfield and Norton did not have the same styles. Of all sports, boxing is the one that illustrates how much having a great physique has to do with performance. Countless examples of fighters with not-so-impressive bodies win over their aesthetic superior...

6. plumber

plumber New Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Of course. I was looking for a reason why Norton would beat Holyfield.
    When he was slightly passed his prime (he admits it himself, after the rubber match against Ali he lost his passion) he still gave Holmes a very close fight.

Holyfield was definitely in his prime before the grueling fights against Bowe. But still an old Holmes gave him all he could handle.

I know this is boxing math, it rarely works because styles make fights.

7. Ted Stickles

Ted Stickles Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
  8. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I like Norton by close decision.

9. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Holy was hit and miss against other good fighters of even a similar level to him and I'd class Norton as the same kind of ballpark as Evander so yeah I'd say Evander is going to have his problems here - Bowe made Holy struggle, Moorer made Holy struggle, hell even gereatric Holmes made Holy struggle a bit, even Smokin Bert had Holy on the ropes briefly - I'm not just basing it on the fact that vet Norton pushed prime time Holmes close and ancient Holmes proved troublesome to prime Holy - but Norton did manage a win over (an admittedly below par but still) legendary Muhammad Ali - and not only that but really proved himself a really awkward guy to do anything against unless you were in the category of the very very hardest punchers of all time (shavers/Foreman/Cooney etc) - he was really really cagey and I think quite an intelligent boxer who liked to lean away and negate your leads and try to counter your counters - not the most exciting style in the world but intriguing all the same but he did also have the capacity to unload some serious sluggery aswell as he proved in first two Ali fights and also against jerry quarry too - he'd come forward in the crab like style dragging that right foot behind him - I can see Holy employing circling movement up on his toes and miss timing it fairly often or at least being out timed by Norton they both relished the gutsy stuff aswell so could get interesting when they went head to head so much so that I can see a lot of exciting exchanges aswell as a lot of trying to figure out eachothers style - one I the things that's buggin me about this one is that Evander was never particularly elusive he was always there to be hit - whereas Norton was very cagey and very awkward to get to in any big way and as proved against the likes of Toney, for all his experience, Real Deal was never really able to box very well with awkward customers and that where Norton always tried to thrive - tough one to call but may lean to Norton 55/45 he had the edge in power I think aswell although not sure either man stops the other?

10. TheSouthpaw

TheSouthpaw Champion Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Not sure either man stop eachother?..its a great matchup

11. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Could go either way, but I pick Norton. He'd have to be careful, but I think he could outbox Holyfield. Interestingly, Norton's odd stance worked well with guys who threw straight jabs and rights, and poorly against hookers. Evander is a boxer/puncher in my opinion, so I think he's more of a threat to Ken than Ali, Young, or Holmes, so I wouldn't be shocked if Holy won. My official pick is that Ken's odd style would confuse Evander.

12. TheSouthpaw

Jul 21, 2012
    Did Kens odd style confuse Ali?

13. TheSouthpaw

Jul 21, 2012
    They both have physical appearance..they both have great jabs...perfect combos

14. luke

luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2012
    hate to agree, but i do. i think nortons got more heart though, just not a chin to match.

15. luke

luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 7, 2012
    no chance norton was too big, the only hope holyfield has is that he hits hard enough and can put a good combination together, for some reason ali x 3 and larry holmes couldnt put him away ali and holmes did massive dammage during a 10-15 rounder,